Thread: Prometheus

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Some interesting opinions here regarding what constitutes a plot hole

SPOILERS OF DOOM
    ...If it had said "3 weeks later" and she was still alive, and at some point they had said there was definitely no food on board, then it would be a plot hole
    For real, but what I would probably consider a plot hole is the idea that the entire planet was populated by a dude drinking Self-Destructo Juice. Aside from the fact that I don't think it could happen that way, that leaves the question of why they would do this, coupled with the idea of why they'd go back to destroy everyone. Perhaps there are reasons for this that were excised from the final cut, but that those don't help people that don't look into it that deeply.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfoot View Post
    For real, but what I would probably consider a plot hole is the idea that the entire planet was populated by a dude drinking Self-Destructo Juice. Aside from the fact that I don't think it could happen that way, that leaves the question of why they would do this, coupled with the idea of why they'd go back to destroy everyone. Perhaps there are reasons for this that were excised from the final cut, but that those don't help people that don't look into it that deeply.
    I felt that this was one of the weakest points of the story. I assumed that the Engineers created humanity, but it was suggested that they're responsible for all life on Earth -microbes, dinosaurs, etc- and not just humans. Why?!
    Also, my mental image was a bit more scientific, using DNA and shit, not just this random black-goo drinking crap. I know, the juice could have been pre-programmed to do specific things to that specific guy's body, but movies are a fucking visual medium, SHOW us what happens, we shouldn't have to come up with a PLAUSIBLE explanation for everything.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    I felt that this was one of the weakest points of the story. I assumed that the Engineers created humanity, but it was suggested that they're responsible for all life on Earth -microbes, dinosaurs, etc- and not just humans. Why?!
    I'd be more bothered if they'd created just humans. Our ancestry is one of the most well-represented examples of evolution in the fossil record. Now if they'd engineered turtles, megamouth sharks or McDonalds' chicken nuggets, that would make sense.
    Does raise the big issue of the Engineer race having existed for around 600 million years in a state of advanced tech, though.