Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacific Rim

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Re: Pacific Rim

Saw this in Imax and it was amazing. I think I will see it again before the end of the weekend.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I saw it at Imax too, and I loved it. I had really high hope for this movie and I wasn't disappointed a bit. DelToro is a genius.

Also got to snatch up a couple of these gorgeous posters:

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Also, I couldn't help but feel bad for the guys who are remaking Godzilla.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I will definitely be seeing this movie this weekend. For those who already saw it, do you recommend seeing it in 3D?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spiralout View Post
    I will definitely be seeing this movie this weekend. For those who already saw it, do you recommend seeing it in 3D?
    I thought the 3d was really well done for a conversation. I would suggest Imax which would probably come with 3d.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Well, del Toro doesn't want you to see it in 3D:
    http://screenrant.com/pacific-rim-post-converted-3d

I'll pass on it anyway, mainly because of the money saved and the duration of the movie.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

They also spent 40 weeks doing the 3D conversation. Don't get me wrong I don't normally go to see movies in 3D that are post converted. Of the ones I've seen this one was a top notch conversation. I wish I could have seen it in Imax without it being in 3D but that is just not something that is offered often (if at all.)

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Yeah same here. Most cinemas only offer it in 3D or a 2D version in the early hours which kind of kills the mood of going to the movies IMHO. Despite the fact that the only IMAX here closed in 2005... :/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Grown Ups 2 is beating this at the box office. I think I'm done with this planet.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Meh, no biggie. A million other awesome movies flopped at the box office as well. Now we look back at them as classics whereas the shitty movies seen by the flocks of morons were soon forgotten. In 5 years Pacific Rim will still be awesome lol.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Me and the miss prefer to watch movies on weekdays when the theatre isn't packed and we don't have to sit in a crappy seat, but I think we'll have to make the trek this weekend. Grown Ups 2 must be defeated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I haven't been so giddy walking out of a movie since Matrix or maybe even Pulp Fiction. I love this movie hard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    Grown Ups 2 must be defeated.
    It hasn't been. At all. Damned shame, though PR is making crazy money outside the US.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhenry View Post
    It hasn't been. At all. Damned shame, though PR is making crazy money outside the US.
    I hate you humanity. Adam Sandler. Burn in hell.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I saw this last night, I honestly thought it was kind of stupid..
    and then I realized it was a comic book, which made the whole thing make way more sense to me.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Itwas good. It was mostly what it needed to be. It was exciting and entertaining and the fight scenes really delivered. The plot was really predictable and that made the movie something of a grind when monsters werent getting their faces bashed in. Disappointing writing from the fucking pans labyrinth guy.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Pacific Rim was awesome! Out of four, I would rate it three maracas-shaking Gameras.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    But I only see threeeeeeeee!!!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm definitely planning on watching this movie. My question: For any of those who watched it in 3D Imax, did it add or detract from the film? Obviously, there's a lot of action in it; I just don't want to feel overwhelmed, missing parts of the movie because of giant monsters constantly flying off the screen. However, 3D done right can be a lot of fun.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I saw it without the 3D and it looked fine but my friends and I kept commenting that it was one of the few movies that felt like it would have really been enhanced by seeing it in 3D. Can't comment to whether that's accurate or not though.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    By far the best film I've seen so far in this 2013 year, and I've seen at least 20+ of 'em (mind you not all in the theaters of course).... this is a diamond in the rough without a doubt.

There was just so much to like and i had an absolute blast watching this film... loved the jaeger and kaiju action.. that was just immense, loved the cast and acting.. (GLaDOS, fuck yeah!) and i thought they did a very good job bringing a lot of heart to their roles. This movie was not complex by any means but it wasn't a dumb movie either which was nice to appreciate, what else... i thought the score was brilliant and the main theme was really great, i felt an overwhelming sense of LET'S KICK SOME KAIJU BUTT every time i heard that theme come boomin' in.

Yeah it was a pretty predictable movie but that's not a crime is it? It followed a lot of cliche formula but that's hard to avoid these days especially when everyone's such an (anal)yst...I mean just watch out for Bob Blogsalot.. he's bound to rip the film a new one as usual.

I think this movie has a good advantage going for it though to go against harsh critique because for once it's not something that's a sequel, prequel, remake or reboot.....it doesn't have to live up to anything or any pre-existing property other than the content it's promising, it doesn't have to be a "Dark Knight".... it also helps that the main content within isn't overdone in cinema. It's not like you're going to get a movie like this as often as something about vampires or zombies....

The only thing I'd really like to know is what the hell was up with J.J Abrams in this movie?

EDIT: i have to add... these guys were my favorite.

Last edited by thelastdisciple; 07-15-2013 at 04:22 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    There's a shot where one of the kaiju being lifted by a jaeger looks like a man in a rubber suit. Not sure if this was an Easter egg, or just my eyes/mind playing tricks.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    I'm definitely planning on watching this movie. My question: For any of those who watched it in 3D Imax, did it add or detract from the film? Obviously, there's a lot of action in it; I just don't want to feel overwhelmed, missing parts of the movie because of giant monsters constantly flying off the screen. However, 3D done right can be a lot of fun.
    The 3D was fine, really, but the important thing here is the IMAX part!!! This is a movie to watch on a giant-ass screen, I think it made for an awesome experience.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    By far the best film I've seen so far in this 2013 year, and I've seen at least 20+ of 'em (mind you not all in the theaters of course).... this is a diamond in the rough without a doubt.

There was just so much to like and i had an absolute blast watching this film... loved the jaeger and kaiju action.. that was just immense, loved the cast and acting.. (GLaDOS, fuck yeah!) and i thought they did a very good job bringing a lot of heart to their roles. This movie was not complex by any means but it wasn't a dumb movie either which was nice to appreciate, what else... i thought the score was brilliant and the main theme was really great, i felt an overwhelming sense of LET'S KICK SOME KAIJU BUTT every time i heard that theme come boomin' in.

Yeah it was a pretty predictable movie but that's not a crime is it? It followed a lot of cliche formula but that's hard to avoid these days especially when everyone's such an (anal)yst...I mean just watch out for Bob Blogsalot.. he's bound to rip the film a new one as usual.

I think this movie has a good advantage going for it though to go against harsh critique because for once it's not something that's a sequel, prequel, remake or reboot.....it doesn't have to live up to anything or any pre-existing property other than the content it's promising, it doesn't have to be a "Dark Knight".... it also helps that the main content within isn't overdone in cinema. It's not like you're going to get a movie like this as often as something about vampires or zombies....

The only thing I'd really like to know is what the hell was up with J.J Abrams in this movie?
    I actually think being predictable really held this movie back. I loved the action sequences, and the monster designs and the art direction, but the plot is what ties this thing together, and it sort of becomes a chore because 1: The monster fights are just that awesome, and 2: we have to wade through the plot to get there. We see every last detail of this movie from a mile away, so those spaces in between action sequences are really, REALLY grindy.

I'm not asking for some twist ending here, but the movie goes probably too far into formula territory. I guess it's silly of me to expect this in monsters vs. robots: the movie, but it has the kind of talent behind it that made me really want it to succeed on those fronts as well.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I guess i just have a better tolerance toward predictability lol I'm used to it because it's too common to begin with....it's at the point where it just doesn't bother me anymore....if i saw something coming or who was going to die next from a mile away sure it takes away from being surprised but that's where i deflate expectations in those areas.

I can understand someone saying this movie was unnecessarily padded out between action scenes to make the movie longer but it just didn't bother me at all.

*shrugs*

Guillermo apparently cut an entire hour out from the film because he figured people didn't care about anything else other than the action scenes, guess he made the right call for some folks. :/
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 07-15-2013 at 04:04 AM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Very enjoyable.
    The fights were boring and gave me a headache: and why was every single fight in water?
    The plot was kind of cool, especially the dinosaur/alien thing.
    The soap opera/romance parts were bad. The pep talk speech was the biggest cliche, and totally should have been cut.
    I wanted to see more of the aliens: these movies never show enough alien.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    The pep talk speech was the biggest cliche, and totally should have been cut.
    This is true.. The Matrix Revolutions, Independance Day, Avatar.. you name it.

I think it's just a thing to be expected with films that deal with that military savior element, they have to have their moment to boost morale and beat on their chests before the big game.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 07-16-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Also I'm going to add that 3d/IMAX is such a distraction. I've never seen a movie either on 3d or IMAX where I didn't feel it detracted from the experience, and hindered absorption in the movie, and this was no different. The process it demands on the part of the viewer, the bother and discomfort and the actual effect itself keep dragging you out of the film. My friend got the tickets, but otherwise I would have seen this 2d. Also, if you take off your glasses and look at the crowd, we look like a bunch of tools from some cheesy dystopian movie.

Favourite scene: when the little girl is being chased. I guess Del Toro has a real talent for depicting scared little girls, I suppose drawing from his daughters.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Fun movie. 3D worked well for the splashes and sparks but then kind of petered out later in the film. There was a bit of a long lag in the middle but overall a great rollercoaster. My 11 year old daughter also approved.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Saw it yesterday in IMAX 3D and I loved it. I didn't think it dragged too much, I thought the plot was smart and fun at the same time, and the fight scenes were brilliant. It was also good to see Charlie Day play someone with a brain for a change.