Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My Bloody Valentine

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)

My Bloody Valentine

I figured that the recent news warranted a discussion thread separate from the "shoegaze" catch-all thread. The follow-up to MBV's 1991 genre-defining masterpiece Loveless has apparently been finished and mastered (as of 12/21) according to the band's facebook page. Unless someone has hacked their social media networks (which has happened with their Twitter page in the past actually), this is pretty much my most anticipated album since ever... to the point where it's actually hard to believe it's real.

http://pitchfork.com/news/48508-my-b...ing-new-album/
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-24-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Pumped for a new album, but I'll contain my excitement until I actually hear it. The fact that it's their first since '91 has me wondering if maybe they lost the magic. However, whatever the outcome, I'm sure it won't be a lazy cash-grab like most '90s bands have been churning out lately - it's not like MBV have ever been about mainstream appeal.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    When I heard the new album was finished, I did a spit-take that lasted 10 minutes and sounded like the space shuttle taking off through ninety different pedals and amps.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm hoping the new album will as amazing as their previous efforts, but I won't be too upset if it isn't. This band has released two of the most influential albums of the past 30 years, as well as a host of killer EPs. They have nothing to prove.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The general feeling online is/was that it would drop on the internet today, as we were told before the end of the year. Improbable, I feel, but what's amazing to me is that actually hearing a new MBV album is inevitable.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    and by "inevitable," you do mean "a pipe dream" right? then again, who started the rumor that the album was supposed to be out by the end of the new year? if that's just internet hype, then we're all suckers for believing it. but at this point, it's like the boy who cried wolf.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 01-03-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    It wasn't a rumor, it was straight from Kevin. But I guess with Kevin, much like Robert Smith, you never know when to believe what he says. He also said the album would be put up on the band's website so I think that's why, as soon as it was announced that the album was finished, everyone thought a release by the end of the year was a real possibility.
    Last edited by piggy; 01-04-2013 at 04:31 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Remember Kevin saying it was going to be out for certain in the fall of 1994. Apparently he still smokes A LOT of weed. Oh well at least its finally done.

Also remember a interview with him in the late 90s talking about how the Jungle and Drum and Bass sound had influenced him. That sounds interesting. I can sort of imagine it, the wish-washy synths on some of the Jungle tracks are oddly reminiscent of some of his guitar effects. The Andrew Weatherall mix of Soon is one of my favorites too.

One of my favourite tracks he has done in the intervening years was the Primal Scream MBV Akesrtra track from Xtrmntr, serious skullfuckery.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    YES! Love the MBV Arkestra track. Best thing both Mr Shields and the Scream have ever done IMO.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Oh man.. I'm not holding my breath but a new record would be tits.
    I've been listening to the Tremolo EP a LOT lately. Probably my favorite MBV record next to Isn't Anything and You Made Me Realise.

I came across a Loveless LP the other day. I'm still kinda heartbroken that I was too poor to afford it.
    Last edited by Soma; 01-18-2014 at 08:21 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Did that remaster ever get a vinyl release? Loveless has to be a top ten album for me, its absolutely perfect. I saw a comment by Kevin Shields regarding some vinyl issue by plain records "in America, Warner Bros. licensed Loveless and Isn't Anything to Plain Records, and they basically just ripped [the audio] off the CD and put it on vinyl [in 2003]. They did an awful, terrible job. It was done without my permission, and the sound quality was 100% wrong. It was a rip off to anyone who bought it."

SO is there a good vinyl release out there. I wonder why if thats why they have an analogue version on the cd
    Last edited by Rdm; 01-19-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Sorry DBL post.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

My Bloody Valentine

Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    Did that remaster ever get a vinyl release? Loveless has to be a top ten album for me, its absolutely perfect. I saw a comment by Kevin Shields regarding some vinyl issue by plain records "in America, Warner Bros. licensed Loveless and Isn't Anything to Plain Records, and they basically just ripped [the audio] off the CD and put it on vinyl [in 2003]. They did an awful, terrible job. It was done without my permission, and the sound quality was 100% wrong. It was a rip off to anyone who bought it."

SO is there a good vinyl release out there. I wonder why if thats why they have an analogue version on the cd
    There doesn't seem to be an vinyl issue of the remasters.

The only "good" version out there would be the original vinyl from 91'

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    a while ago Kevin said that there would be vinyl releases of the remasters, but hasn't brought it up since. Maybe he's been busy with the new album

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I hope the vinyl fixes the glitch that's on the remasters cd.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Hopefully you are, but it would be sweet to have a remaster loveless on vinyl . Anyone looking to buy loveless on vinyl should wait

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    went to the my bloody valentine show this evening in london and finally heard new material!

it was their first show in three years it was in a really small venue and was a warm up gig.

but they opened the set with a new song and it was fucking phenomenal it had a heavy heavy fat electronic drum sound and kevin and belinda played the most beautiful noises over the top of it. Was about 10 minutes long.
    And of course it was intimidatingly loud.
    They played two more new songs both were really lovely one of them reminded me of lose my breath kevin had an acoustic
    Guitar. And was strumming it sounded beautiful belinda hummed over it.
    Show was significantly louder than when I saw them in 2008 the holocaust bit during you made me realise was shorter but way way louder very painful could see quite few people getting anxious!
    they had a few technical problems during to here knows when the bass was gurning it sounded almost sludgy.

But overall it was more intense than when last saw them and the first new track they played the heavy beat one was awesome.
    kevin said it would be out in two or there days some crappy youtube visa may pop up before that. at least I know it will be good.
    debbie googe is awesome she kicked ass colm sounds as good on drums if not better than he did in 88 bilinda is still hot at 50 also if you are epileptic it would be profoundly unwise too see them on this tour the strobes and visuals knock you out.
    Last edited by Highly Psychological; 01-27-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That track felt much longer there! Its good although obviously that video simply does not do it justice.

Also the other new track i thought they played was acctually an old one of theirs which i didnt notice a B Side called Cigarette in your bed. It was very loud some songs were totally drowned in feedback.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    yeah, I'm undecided on how I feel about MBV's live show and the crazy loudness. When I saw them, I have to admit that it pissed me off and I left before "You Made Me Realize" went into completely holy fuck territory.

I have a friend who went both days though, and he said the second day he brought air-traffic controller ear protection along with earplugs, and he said it was awesome. So, I'll go check them out again if they come around, but I'm bringing the heavy duty headgear.

Also, two or three days? I'm skeptical, but still, if they're playing the new songs, it's got to be coming soon, right?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I heard the new song and... wow... 2013 is going to be a good year for music. This, Bowie, HDTA... the music gods are back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Video got taken down because apparently record labels can lay claim to videos they didn't even make now. Cool.

Just as a tangent, imagine if you could do this with other forms of media, like a photograph becomes your IP because you're in it.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    yeah, I'm undecided on how I feel about MBV's live show and the crazy loudness. When I saw them, I have to admit that it pissed me off and I left before "You Made Me Realize" went into completely holy fuck territory.

I have a friend who went both days though, and he said the second day he brought air-traffic controller ear protection along with earplugs, and he said it was awesome. So, I'll go check them out again if they come around, but I'm bringing the heavy duty headgear.

Also, two or three days? I'm skeptical, but still, if they're playing the new songs, it's got to be coming soon, right?
    i have issues with this too. you really shouldn't have to bring out such heavy artillery to a live concert. earplugs is one thing, but the band doesn't need to play THAT loud as to destroy all sense of melody, which is what's so enticing about them in the first place...

can't believe a live video was pulled down, either... i dunno about two or three days.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I actually really like the extreme noise thing. During You Made me Realise it does something weird to your body. I didnt use the earplugs and i have a awful headache today and cant hear shit. But for about a minute last night during the extreme noise bit i felt really euphoric. Then it started to just get scary. It was like a fucking plane taking off.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I couldn't imagine sitting through that without earplugs.

Maybe it wouldn't have bothered me so much if I knew what I was in for, so I could have prepared with the heavy duty hearing protection. It's kind of screwed up and maybe a little irresponsible to not make a special note. They should at least provide free earplugs. Instead, I ended up leaving the show early, and basically feeling like I just wasted sixty dollars.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    They should at least provide free earplugs.

they did do this: http://www.xfm.co.uk/news/2009/my-bl...-away-earplugs

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    this dude is apparently scrobbling the new album...
    http://www.last.fm/user/DrinkJustSix

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    this dude is apparently scrobbling the new album...
    http://www.last.fm/user/DrinkJustSix
    Burn the apostate! Or beg him for his thoughts!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    (nvm its fake)