Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: My Bloody Valentine

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I am really loving this record. Never thought I'd actually ever get to hear another MBV record and let alone it be this good.

Solid stuff.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I really like it, can hear the slight Jungle/Drum N Bass influence Kevin was talking about in Wonder 2, She Found Now is gorgeous and the second half of the album is what its about for me, hypnotic trippy, intimidating, very cool, i dont know what i was expecting. The only thing that added pressure to this album was the sheer amount of time it had taken to get finished. I never thought Loveless was this epic masterpiece people go on about i love bit and pieces of this bands deeply weird discography especially the EPs. I was not expecting anything too radically removed from their old sound. One thing that bugs me is that its quite short. Other than that its just nice to hear some good material to sink your teeth into.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    in another way ftw

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    After one listen, I've gotta say it's pretty darn good. It hasn't left a massively lasting impression on me, but MBV are certainly one of those bands who require a bit of time to fully appreciate. My first impressions: very similar in tone and feel to Loveless, though a bit more brooding and slower in places. Things picked up towards the later tracks, which I liked, but I wasn't ready for it to come to an end. To be honest, yeah it does sound like the sort of thing you'd expect from them, but I'm sort of glad they retained the foggy, dense feel of their first two records and didn't go for a modernized/contemporary interpretation of their sound; though at the same time, they could be accused of simply impersonating their own material rather than pushing the band forward...I don't know. Either way, I'm not really a Bloody Valentine superfan, so I'm quite happy to just sit back and enjoy the music.

Also, love the cover art!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    it's no loveless (but what is, apart from loveless) but it's an interesting take on their formula and doesn't sound like they're just on autopilot, they've tried new stuff while keeping the familiarity.

that being said, i think 'is this and yes' is a load of wank, and i like ambient/drone stuff. it just sounds like someone holding down a note on the korg wavestation.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    If loving held down note on the korg wavestation is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Great album. There's a lot going on that I'll have to digest over many listens. It's kind of hard to form expectations about an album that is following one of the most classic albums ever 22 years later. If you love My Bloody Valentine, then this album is basically right up your alley. Thoroughly impressed and I really hope they will release that EP they mentioned and continue with more new music.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'm two songs in on a decent set of headphones and I'm loving it so far. From reading this thread, I may have more gems ahead.

On "Who Sees You" now, and I love that intro.

New MBV makes Matt a happy guy, even when I have to work tonight.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Man the second half of this album is really good. I like 5 out of the 9 songs on first listen, and I have a brutal hangover. Blown away that the album met my expectations

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    This is actually the first album I've ever heard from this band, and I really dig it. The second half is far stronger than the first half, though. Going to have to download Loveless now that I've been introduced to My Bloody Valentine.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    This is actually the first album I've ever heard from this band, and I really dig it. The second half is far stronger than the first half, though. Going to have to download Loveless now that I've been introduced to My Bloody Valentine.
    You're in for a treat.

I love the new album, but it's pretty much impossible to follow up Loveless. Still, here's a fun review: 5/5 fuck your face stars

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I've heard it 3 times so far... I'm really starting to like it. If I was to pick a song that should be the single to promote the album, "New You" would be that pick. It's got a nice groove to it. The last three tracks are just fucking incredible. The first five are reminders of old-school MBV. I need to listen to it more and hopefully write a proper review of the record though I haven't written an album review in more than a year. So it's likely I'll be very rusty and I might go into an entirely different route with the review.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    really enjoy 'new you'. sounds very lost in translation-ish.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Sorry, folks, but *he's* going to tell us how m b v sounds:

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'm really digging "Nothing Is" right now. I thought I would tire of the repetition, but on headphones there's a lot of subtle little nuances in that track.

I still am finding it hard to believe we have a new My Bloody Valentine record, unfathomable.
    Last edited by poinoup; 02-04-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    Sorry, folks, but *he's* going to tell us how m b v sounds:
    if you're holding a fag for 5 minutes and you take one drag you probably shouldn't smoke

also that guy looks like if kevin shields made the wrong decisions in life

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    If Kevin produced spawn as eloquent as this young man, I can only hope to achieve the same. I love how he putters around describing the new album, and then just throws a 10 out of 10 at it.

So, where's the 10-hour YouTube version of "nothing is"?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Such an enjoyable album, and surpassed my initial expectations by miles. They find a happy middle-ground between sticking with their bread and butter, while also effortlessly venturing into new territory. Only song I don't like would be 'is this and yes' - it's a charming minimal track, but doesn't flow very well with the other songs.

Hopefully Shields and co. will have the confidence and interest to make a follow-up in the near future.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    this new album is great, and it gets better the more I listen to it. I wish it wasn't called MBV, I wish it wasn't inextricably compared to Loveless, but it's fucking great.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I agree Jinsai, I'm in love with it. Probably listen to it once a night . Truly enjoying it . It should not be compared to loveless, it is not fair . Geez this Autechre, atoms for peace all on the way . I'm pissing my pants in anticipation for the mail .

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    It really is a special album. There's not one track on it I wouldn't consider excellent ("Nothing Is" is amazing in context, less so stand alone). I could listen to this album over and over and never get bored. It has the immediacy of the YMMR/Isn't Anything material coupled with the depth of Loveless. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I like it just as much as Loveless and slightly less than Isn't Anything. Only time will tell if it becomes canonized as a classic though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    http://vevo.ly/15hISsb

Kevin on Guitars in the the Primal Scream single. "2013"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That is the first really good Primal Scream song for over a decade since the Evil Heat album. The guitar sound is beautiful, im glad they are experimental again.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I've been listening to that album in my car endlessly. I'm just in love with it. It has a sense of immediacy but also the beauty of Loveless. I really hope they do a U.S. tour as I would love to hear those songs live.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofgod View Post
    http://vevo.ly/15hISsb

Kevin on Guitars in the the Primal Scream single. "2013"
    Debbie on bass too. It has a similar vibe to "Shoot Speed/Kill Light". Needless to say, incredibly excited for the new album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Anybody else get their mbv vinyl yet. I got mine today. It came with no cellophane or plastic of any kind around it and it was mailed in a record shaped box, but there was no packing of any kind (no bubble wrap) around the vinyl at all and the box was about an inch square bigger than the vinyl so the vinyl had room to slide all around. The worst part is that when I opened it and say the vinyl itself was able to slide back and forth in and out of the sleeve as well and almost fell out when I opened it. I have gotten many unsealed “new” vinyls and some with not much packing, but for this album I thought the packing and overall packaging would be a little better, was a bit pricey for a single vinyl. Just wondering if anyone else had same experience. Overall the sleeve is in pretty good shape considering, but the manufacturing looks a little sloppy. I did not have time to look the vinyl over that thoroughly was literally walking out the door when it was delivered.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Damn, that sucks. Sorry to hear it was delivered kind of shitty. I take it the vinyl release was an online only kind of item and it won't be hitting record stores anytime soon correct? I missed a lot of the hub bub on here when the record came out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha 60 View Post
    Anybody else get their mbv vinyl yet. I got mine today. It came with no cellophane or plastic of any kind around it and it was mailed in a record shaped box, but there was no packing of any kind (no bubble wrap) around the vinyl at all and the box was about an inch square bigger than the vinyl so the vinyl had room to slide all around. The worst part is that when I opened it and say the vinyl itself was able to slide back and forth in and out of the sleeve as well and almost fell out when I opened it. I have gotten many unsealed “new” vinyls and some with not much packing, but for this album I thought the packing and overall packaging would be a little better, was a bit pricey for a single vinyl. Just wondering if anyone else had same experience. Overall the sleeve is in pretty good shape considering, but the manufacturing looks a little sloppy. I did not have time to look the vinyl over that thoroughly was literally walking out the door when it was delivered.
    Same experience I am pretty frustrated with the way it was shipped. Have not inspected the vinyl itself but the sleeve was slightly damaged on the corners due to the issue you brought up with the size of the box it was shipped in. Materials seemed cheap for the vinyl/cd sleeve(s).

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Wow I thought it was going to be great packaging seeing how it cost so fucking much. At least it is 100% analogue. I really don't know how different it will sound but I'm looking forward to hearing the difference .
    Last edited by Rdm; 03-06-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah, I’m not that upset about the actual quality of the sleeve or cd booklet. I am mostly shocked that there was no packing around the vinyl. Sometimes they come with no bubble wrap but when you open it you see that an extra layer of cardboard has made up the gaps or that the interior fits with vinyl perfectly. The box it was shipped in is 13 ¼ x 13 ½ x 1 and the vinyl is 12 ½ x 12 ½. And the record was just laying in the box no plastic of any kind around the sleeve. The vinyl looks to be in good shape and feels heavier than 180 but probably my imagination. I am having bad luck with vinyl this week, my deluxe edition Atoms For Peace came with a smashed corner.
    I just think it is a little strange that this album was/is a pretty big deal and it seems kind of hastily shipped out. Just thought there would be a little more finesse in it all considering this is the first physical product in so many years. I need to get a new needle, but I’m sure (or I hope) the mastering/manufacturing of the vinyl is great.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I wonder why it wasn't even sealed in cellophane... that's pretty strange. I can understand why some packages w/ strange shapes or cloth slip sleeves don't, but isn't this pretty much standard?