Page 1 of 97 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

Shooting in CT.

Yeahhhh...I still think your country needs some more gun control.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Shooting in CT.

Yeahhhh...I still think your country needs some more gun control.
    Yea I agree, I mean I dont understand how the fuck shit likes this happens, and idiots like the NRA and other white trash fucks thinks its a good idea that having access to weapons.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I understand having access to weapons isn't the problem...I don't know, man. It seems like this is happening way more often as of late. Maybe it's just the media spinning it to show more. I know people are getting shot all the time, but the mass stuff is on a weekly basis it seems.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    As an American, I hate guns. I never saw the point of someone other than police to have one. This country cannot handle the responsibility of owning one.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    ^^ Agreed.

My heart and soul goes out to the victims and victims families. People, including young children, lost their lives today because some sick fuck('s?) decided to take that away from them.

What else is a gun used for other than to kill?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    And the NRA....I just want someone at their next speech to stand up and say 'Remember the time some asshole shot up a school and a well armed citizen saved everyone? Me neither.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is heartbreaking. My right to own a gun is not worth the lives of innocent children.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post

What else is a gun used for other than to kill?
    Allowing men with small cocks to feel manlier?

This is absolutely heartbreaking. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    ^^^ Exactly. I want to read just ONE story of some asshole busting in to a hospital with a rifle and someone busting through a window and yelling 'NO SIR. MY RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS WILL SHOW YOU JUSTICE.'

It sounds absolutely absurd, but seriously it's pretty much what the NRA envisions while closing their eyes and covering their ears, I just know it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    He mowed down his mother's classroom of kindergarteners. Jesus.

Edit: Now they're saying he killed her at home and then went to her school and killed everyone. WTF
    Last edited by jessamineny; 12-14-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

This story is about mental illness and how the U.S. does NOTHING about it, and about our need to reinstate the BAN on assault weapons.

RT @andywombach "AP: Suspect used .223 caliber rifle. This is a picture of a .223 rifle. This is legal.
    http://twitter.com/AbbyWambach/statu...664448/photo/1
    Last edited by allegro; 12-14-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    True dat. I get protecting your family with a handgun in your house maybe sure. Assault rifles? Come on, son!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Now that BO doesn't have to worry about re-election I really hope he does something on the assault weapons front. Fuck you George W Bush for letting the ban lapse. Fuck you forever.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Couldn't agree more. The NRA already doesn't like Obama, he should fuckin' go balls out on this one.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I don't want to come off as selfish, but if I think too hard about something like this the quicker I realize this could happen where I live, and to people I know. Economically depressed and bouts of extreme weather as of late (I saw people lose their shit in the heat). There was a gang-related incident a few months back where people shot up an ambulance. A fucking ambulance. I thought that was crazy.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    No offense guys, but I think a ban on assault rifles will only make the situation more dangerous. Do you realize how many paranoid lunatics we have in America that think it's gonna end soon? Do you really think those people are gonna give up their assault rifles willingly?
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 12-14-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    No offense guys, but I think a ban on assault rifles will only make the situation more dangerous. Do you realize how many paranoid lunatics we have in the world that think it's gonna end soon? Do you really think those people are gonna give up their assault rifles willingly?
    Who knows, maybe that's why this fucker did what he did.... maybe he thought there was an impending apocalypse and figured he'd try and get away with something like this.

Or maybe he thought his mother loved all those school kids more than him, i don't know......but i definitely can't see anything outside of something psychological or they did this just for the hell of it.... an elaborate suicide? stir up some shit and then off yourself.

Fucked up either way.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Especially since the victim's brother was found killed as well. This Lanza guy killed him, then made the 80 mile drive to the school in another town, fully armed. It wasn't spur of the moment.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    RT @andywombach "AP: Suspect used .223 caliber rifle. This is a picture of a .223 rifle. This is legal.
    http://twitter.com/AbbyWambach/statu...664448/photo/1
    The AP story has been updated to say the rifle was found in the back of a car in the parking lot.
    Last edited by jessamineny; 12-14-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Why does this only happen in the US (except for that one time in Norway)? What happens in the US that doesn't happen in any other country? I think a cause-and-effect/Freakonomics-type analysis will reveal that the root problem is way beyond gun control (and for the record, I think that having guns is stupid, so no, I'm not against gun control). Allegro mentioned "mental illness". There's mentally ill-people in other countries as well.

An alarming number of broken families in the US may be the root cause behind all of this?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Some of these people who go into schools and shoot up kids aren't from broken homes http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...fe-deposit-box

But, really, only mentally ill people do shit like THIS shit today. It's not normal, in any sense.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-14-2012 at 11:27 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    IMO the Gun Culture is to blame, it's the one factor you won't find in other countries. Other countries have gun ownership, worse poverty, violence, ethnic/religious tensions, violent pasts etc etc (everyone's seen bowling for columbine)

I know really smart, wordly-wise Americans who are just unreasonable when it comes to this one issue... I can only conclude it's culturally taboo for them to accept that Guns are a problem

To say "guns don't kill people, people kill people" is to say "Guns aren't so bad"... I'm truly amazed that people don't see the connection between "Guns aren't so bad" being a prevalent sentiment within a culture, and that culture having a disproportionate amount of firearm crime

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Very well said.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This is so heartbreaking, those poor parents are in so much pain, it's so sad watching them in such obvious horrifying pain at their loss, ugh :-(

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sickened by the fact that people are taking advantage of this situation, and using it as an excuse to get riled up about gun control. It's the same routine. Some tragedy like this happens, people get riled up, and two, three weeks later, people forget, except those who actually lost people in the situation. If you think something should happen, please, go out and try to make it happen. Don't become a part of the fad.

Personally though, I really don't think there's much anyone can do to make us safer. I mean, if this guy didn't have a gun, he could have easily done like this guy and used a knife.
    http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/385705...na-authorities
    What then? Do we call for knife control? Some of you may disagree with me, but still, that doesn't change the fact that everyone should love their friends, family and people in general as much as possible.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm not using it as an excuse, my genuine reaction to spree shootings is to think about gun culture and gun control.

He could have used a knife, and probably would have killed a lot less people - wouldn't that have been a better outcome?

The fact of the matter is, you don't have problems with people using knives, cars or baseball bats to commit spree killings the way you have problems with guns, so equating the two doesn't make sense.

I know someone who has used heroin for over 15 years and yet holds down a job, has no significant health problems... does that mean I think heroin is ok? No, because I wasn't raised in a culture that encourages me to defend heroin.

Who knows, maybe I'm just brainwashed and I should cut smack a break, because even though it produces so much horror, some shining examples can make it work

You say gun control wouldn't make you safer, but the UK has strict gun control and IS safer. We had 32 firearms deaths last year, you had 9000. We have 62 million people, you have 330 million. 32 x 5 does not = 9000, so what's wrong with your country?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Personally though, I really don't think there's much anyone can do to make us safer. I mean, if this guy didn't have a gun, he could have easily done like this guy and used a knife.
    http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/385705...na-authorities
    What then? Do we call for knife control? Some of you may disagree with me, but still, that doesn't change the fact that everyone should love their friends, family and people in general as much as possible.
    You fail to mention that nobody in that article died. I think it's a fact that it's a lot harder to commit mass murder with a gun than a knife.

You're correct that this type of mindless violence will exist whether gun control is heavy or lax, but it sure makes it a helluva lot harder for someone to commit these acts if semi-automatics and large-capacity clips are eliminated from the equation. Knives and horse manure can be used for more than killings; guns only serve one purpose.
    Last edited by Presideo; 12-14-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Exactly. All the NRA advocates, etc. believe that if you tighten gun control, the U.S. will instantly become some Orwellian state with all freedom a thing of the past. It baffles my mind that they just can't see a fact that a toddler could grasp. It's infuriating.

Reminds of this article that I read after the Aurora Dark Knight Rises shooting. Makes me wanna print it and staple it to a few Americans' foreheads.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I don't think anybody is taking advantage of the situation to talk about how to prevent death in such ways, events like these are just constant reminders for us on already important discussions.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I mean, if this guy didn't have a gun, he could have easily done like this guy and used a knife.
    What then? Do we call for knife control?
    I see this type of thinking all over the internet and the bad faith of it infuriates me no end. Are you seriously suggesting that a knife is as dangerous, as deadly, and as effective a weapon as an assault rifle or hand gun? If so, why don't US troops in Afghanistan use knives instead of guns?