Sandy Hook Elementary Shooting

Also, this essay is very very good:

http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.c...kable.html?m=1

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post

I would so love to slap that little bastard in the face a bunch of times.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post

What I think everyone is missing in this article, that seems to making the rounds, is the important subtext of what is actually happening to this child.

It's easy to see the struggle the mother has in dealing with him, especially she portrays him as this sort of out of control alien kind of thing. She portrays him as somewhat sub-human. In this story we repeatedly see her unwittingly alienate her son. Partially by subjugating him, especially from the family, and aprtially through a long series of other things. This kid has grown up and developed his mind on a revolving door of medications and drugs and all kinds of things. His mother has made a point to micromanage this guy's life. He's not a robot, he's a lot closer to a regular dude than her writing lets on.

His reaction to the pants situation is very strong, sure, but what kind of mom is trying to tell her 13 Year-old son what kind of pants to wear? If he's having academic and social difficulties, then why is he in a school with a strict dress code to begin with. That age is a time when people seek a sense of identity and individuality. It's always a time of rebellion. There's a glimpse of that getting boxed in, here. All that combined with the drugs....

I'm speaking from experience. I know a lot of people who grew up like this. I grew up like that, and the way that the parents handle it has significant impact on the outcome. I've seen the kid in an overly structured enviornment, and they're caged animal, like this one and I've seen the kid in a more understanding environment, where they grow and get a long fine. This is a frustrating read for me.

I guess my point is that it wasn't the gun laws or the fucking aspergers or any of that shit that brought Adam Lanza to where he was when he shot those kids. It was the whole environment. It was the same thing with James Holmes. Both were people who felt increasingly alone and separate from the world. They probably experienced very little understanding and very little compassion. I think those are the solutions for the future: Understanding. Compassion.
    Last edited by Wretchedest; 12-17-2012 at 12:20 AM.