Page 77 of 78 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,310 of 2328

Thread: Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

Mentioned
    755 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    got really stressed out yesterday because this happened right near where my wife works. didn't find out it was a hoax until after i had started driving into evanston to drive her to therapy from work so she wouldn't have to walk, because i'm a jewish mother and i get very worried.

Northwestern shooting report ‘a hoax,’ lockdown lifted: Evanston police

don't understand why anyone would do such a thing.
    It's called swatting (like calling the SWAT team) and it happens a LOT more than people realize, people get KILLED by swatting.

there was a swatting near where I live.

I was watching that shit going down in Evanston yesterday, because I lived in Evanston for several years; the whole downtown area was on lockdown, nobody was allowed anywhere near downtown Evanston, totally nuts. At first, I thought it was on the main northeast campus area but then I saw it was at Maple and Emerson, wtf, that's not even the Northwestern campus, that's just downtown Evanston! Crazy stuff.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-16-2018 at 10:37 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    yeaaa... SWATting.

The recent incident where a random person was killed during a swatting incident was initiated by the same guy who claimed responsibility for the bomb threats during the FCC net neutrality votes.

It's immensely easy to do. And the people doing it feel there are no consequences. People love to bully other people, especially when they don't have to face the person or have any risks. Power. That underlying thing that means nearly everyone becomes corrupt when given power.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

A group of military veterans came together to create an all-veteran PSA about gun control. It stars military veterans of all genders, ages, ethnicities and military backgrounds. Their message is clear, “...we carried the M4/M16, we know its power first hand, and there is no reason it should be for sale in this country.”
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 03-24-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    https://pitchfork.com/news/killer-mi...new-nra-video/

It's not his stance on gun ownership (which I think it's stupid but whatever), but what he says about his children "I told my kids on the school walkout: ‘I love you—if you walk out that school, walk out my house...’" that just rubs me the wrong fucking way. I can respect different opinions, but basically saying to your own children 'if you don't have the same opinion as me, I'm going to kick you out' that is too much.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    https://pitchfork.com/news/killer-mi...new-nra-video/

It's not his stance on gun ownership (which I think it's stupid but whatever), but what he says about his children "I told my kids on the school walkout: ‘I love you—if you walk out that school, walk out my house...’" that just rubs me the wrong fucking way. I can respect different opinions, but basically saying to your own children 'if you don't have the same opinion as me, I'm going to kick you out' that is too much.
    If you listen to the video you'd pick up on the hyperbole in the name of making a point about how strongly he feels and how much of a family issue it is. His kids own guns.

Partaking in this walkout movement is probably on par with taking part in an anti-BlackLivesMatter movement, from Killer Mike's perspective.

The guy routinely points out how much of an enemy the government is to black people. And how that reality does not align well with "so you should give the government your guns". But go ahead and call him stupid.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 03-25-2018 at 02:22 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    His kids own guns.
    And that's a problem maybe? I don't really care it's a hyperbole, it's a stupid point to make
    Last edited by telee.kom; 03-25-2018 at 02:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was actually quite shocked that Killer Mike was pro-gun. I wouldn't have expected that.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The guy routinely points out how much of an enemy the government is to black people. And how that reality does not align well with "so you should give the government your guns". But go ahead and call him stupid.
    So in keeping with reality and modern times, when is the last time a black person got off on self defense after wounding or killing a cop?

What fantasy land is Killer Mike living in where he figures he can take on the government in this day and age?

The same fantasy land as all the other doomsday types it seems.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    What fantasy land is Killer Mike living in where he figures he can take on the government in this day and age?
    That might be the most white supremacist thing to have been uttered on this forum. Let's tell BLM to wrap it up. The govt they are oppressed by is just too strong!

You guys know you can easily look up all his reasons for being pro gun, right? You don't have to invent his positions. He has talked about it a lot. Hell, its in his lyrics even. He has a variety of reasons.

But the moment he does a 5min segment with his friend who does NRA videos you freak out. I guess the NRA does a lot more for spreading the word than I thought.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    That might be the most white supremacist thing to have been uttered on this forum. Let's tell BLM to wrap it up. The govt they are oppressed by is just too strong!
    Oh fuck you, that's not what i meant at all.

I'm talking about the need for arms in this conversation, BLM isn't parading the streets with AR-15s are they? I didn't think so.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Oh fuck you, that's not what i meant at all.

I'm talking about the need for arms in this conversation, BLM isn't parading the streets with AR-15s are they? I didn't think so.
    It's not what you meant. But it is what you said... because it's exactly how people like Killer Mike view what you said. In the age of racial inequality wokeness, it really shouldn't be too hard to pick up on that.

Proof:
    https://twitter.com/killermike/statu...573128706?s=21

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Killer Mike's stance isn't new and it's certainly not fringe. It became part of the public awareness during the civil rights movement. MLK vs Malcom X.

Shit, modern gun control was born from the desire to suppress the Black Panthers. And here we are decades later and the negative results of modern gun control are disproportionately impacting on people of color.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Killer Mike's stance isn't new and it's certainly not fringe. It became part of the public awareness during the civil rights movement. MLK vs Malcom X.

Shit, modern gun control was born from the desire to suppress the Black Panthers. And here we are decades later and the negative results of modern gun control are disproportionately impacting on people of color.
    don't think we saw what happened to a law abiding gun owner of color who was reaching for his gun license when he was shot dead in front of his girlfriend and kid, i don't think we know or want to know how deep the racism goes in this country. don't tell me about white privilege I've experienced it first hand, when playing with an all black reggae band. we were loading up after a show the cops showed up had us unload everything to look for pot. not two weeks earlier an all white band with a full bottle of vodka next to the driver seat was sitting said nothing! so kind of hard to argue rights when only one group has them
    -Louie

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

The fact that they thought he had a gun got him killed or at least that's what they're using to excuse their racism so please tell me what the victim having a firearm would have achieved in this situation?

Then you have Philando Castile, murdered after TELLING the cop he had a firearm in the vehicle. What did that accomplish?
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 03-25-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    so kind of hard to argue rights when only one group has them
    -Louie
    the fact that your implied conclusion to this is "...and so that's why we should give that group more power and take away power from the weaker group" says everything.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    the fact that your implied conclusion to this is "...and so that's why we should give that group more power and take away power from the weaker group" says everything.
    curious what this "fact is which conclusion i am implying and which group is giving and giving up the power?
    -Louie

Mentioned
    755 Post(s)
    Black people have always been pro gun; it’s the only defense they have; @DigitalChaos is absolutely right, look up the Black Panthers. One of my biggest problems with the NRA is that they’re not inclusive, it’s a white organization that is terrified of armed black people; that fear often makes the white NRA members (read: people sending memberships dues to the NRA) buy MORE guns.

(1) The “mental health” argument is often presented, except President Reagan closed all Federal mental institutions in the 80s (they were terrible places) with the hope that private and better organizations would replace them; that never happened; and Medicaid, which pays for a huge portion of mental health care, keeps getting underfunded; also, while the Florida shooter was and is a disturbed young man who needs help, the people blaming mental health want to convict him as sane and go for the death penalty; if he was truly mentally ill, he would not be guilty due to that mental illness and would be institutionalized instead of jailed or executed; can’t have it both ways;

(3) The Baker Act exists in Florida, look it up; the Sheriff’s Deputy stationed at the Parkland school (one has been there for several decades) moved to “Baker Act” the Florida shooter last year, but school authorities rejected it; had he been Baker Acted, it is likely that the kid would not have been able to purchase guns

(8) What we really need, immediately, to help protect kids in school is to SECURE THE FACILITIES. We are talking bulletproof glass, multiple armed security guards (Columbine had four shooters), metal detectors and scanners at all doors, etc., much like what we have at all airports, courthouses, and Federal buildings. Why after so many school shootings we only have the equivalent of tornado drills is ridiculous.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-26-2018 at 12:53 AM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Mass school murders via shootings could greatly be reduced if only the kids knew how to perform CPR:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/news...BKG0xT?ocid=sf

Just think, if Yoko Ono had known how to perform CPR John Lennon may have lived.

Mentioned
    755 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Mass school murders via shootings could greatly be reduced if only the kids knew how to perform CPR:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/news...BKG0xT?ocid=sf

Just think, if Yoko Ono had known how to perform CPR John Lennon may have lived.
    They performed CPR on Lennon immediately; the giant hole in his head didn’t care. Santorum and Rubio (the latter keeps posting ridiculous Bible verses) are TERRIFIED of these young voters. They’re shitting their pants.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-26-2018 at 12:52 AM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    They performed CPR on Lennon immediately; the giant hole in his head didn’t care.
    Tell that to Rick "frothy" Santorum.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    (8) What we really need, immediately, to help protect kids in school is to SECURE THE FACILITIES. We are talking bulletproof glass, multiple armed security guards (Columbine had four shooters), metal detectors and scanners at all doors, etc., much like what we have at all airports, courthouses, and Federal buildings. Why after so many school shootings we only have the equivalent of tornado drills is ridiculous.
    Sure. This would make for an ideal place to study and learn and concentrate on class.

I'm sorry but my takeaway from your describtion is this: your country is truly fucked.

Mentioned
    755 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Sure. This would make for an ideal place to study and learn and concentrate on class.

I'm sorry but my takeaway from your describtion is this: your country is truly fucked.
    It’s a huge country (space), that took us nearly 100 years to pioneer (always with guns), we had a civil war which killed 1,264,000 soldiers (!!), and this security is NOTHING like what Israelis live with every day (where bomb shelters are a home necessity). We are lucky, we went 100s of years with barely any security; our luck ran out.

In the 70s, our schools actually had MORE security than we see now; but it got lax due to a combination of many things; more security actually makes us feel safer. It’s a pain in the ass at first, but then we see the benefits.

Because we can’t get our shit together enough to fix underlying causes: social media and anonymous communication leading to isolation, cyberbullying, lack of true connections for developing kids, and the total lack of interconnected resources to deal with issues like poverty, mental illness, crime, etc.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-25-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    i agree with the above posting, i will say we are looking at the problem incorrectly, therefore we will always arrive at an incorrect solution. here is a very interesting Yale study https://www.shop.com/Lap+Dance+Spike...09574-p+.xhtml
    -Louie

Mentioned
    755 Post(s)
    @Louie_Cypher , I don’t think that’s what you MEANT to link ;-D

Wow, that’s a fascinating article!!
    Last edited by allegro; 03-26-2018 at 12:56 AM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    @Louie_Cypher , I don’t think that’s what you MEANT to link ;-D
    year was a study on fear base conservative policies are saw it tried to change but didn't save edit before leaving. so i have bsmd leanings https://www.buzzworthy.com/yale-stud...into-liberals/ there is the correct article. very least of incriminating things in my browser cache but thanks for the heads up allegro
    -louie
    Last edited by Louie_Cypher; 03-25-2018 at 05:19 PM. Reason: link check

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    i think that folks really want to abide by notions from the 1700s should have indoor plumbing taken away so that can really get in touch with the era. & import a pack of pissed off indigenous people to hassle them once in awhile.

PS: i kid, kid! sort of. at least we are still allowed to have a discussion about this sort of thing. who knows how long that is going to last. the protests yesterday were a good thing but unless these kids get naked & cover themselves in $100 bills, congress isn't going to pay attention. UNLESS they start getting voted out of office. hard to get off the public sugar tit.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

Video update from Killer Mike.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...580952385&_rdr

Some areas feel like a dishonest backtrack, especially the bit about his kid. But at least it provides clarity for those who were massively misrepresenting him.

Mentioned
    755 Post(s)
    Video update from Killer Mike.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...580952385&_rdr

Some areas feel like a dishonest backtrack, especially the bit about his kid. But at least it provides clarity for those who were massively misrepresenting him.
    I loved it, I think he was really honest all the way through. Two thumbs up.

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    @louie_cypher , i don’t think that’s what you meant to link ;-d

wow, that’s a fascinating article!!
    hahahahahahahahahaha

Aslo: santorum. hehehehehehe. you guys said santorum.
    Last edited by elevenism; 03-26-2018 at 04:27 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I think Mike's apology is important but I also think analyzing the fact that he played himself is also important. Mike should've known better, and that's why Black Twitter came for his ass Saturday afternoon once that interview started circulating. It wasn't about Mike speaking out against taking guns away - it was because he allowed himself to show up on nratv (I refuse to capitalize that bullshit), thus allowing himself to become their counter-programming for white people not paying attention to the march.

https://www.theroot.com/issa-trap-ho...gro-1824068041