Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Man Of Steel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I think it'll depend if/when WB can get a Justice League movie rolling.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    HOW DID THEY FUCK THIS UP SO BAD??? FUCK YOU ZACK SNYDER!!!!

What a painfully boring movie. It was like shitty 80s sci-fi. Forget the "does superman kill?" argument. Does Superman have a FUCKING CHARACTER? Is there some reason we should give a FUCK about this guy? Is there some reason that he is the way he is? Does he ever say anything meaningful or interesting?

The writing in this was just god awful. Like from the bottom up. I don't even know where to start. how about this:

Superman Returns > Man of Steel.

Easily.

I will say that the action scenes in the second half were spectacular. That's exactly what Superman needed. But you know what else Superman needs? Character development Some kind of personality. A reason for me to care about him. Decent pacing, god the pacing in this movie was shit. Zack Snyder with his total lack of restraint....

A real shame, because those action scenes were nice, at least.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Man Of Steel

Saw this today and thought it was pretty cool, not as bad ass as I was hoping but I enjoyed it. I didn't really dig Michael Shannon though. The action scenes were pretty awesome and the killing didn't bother me, he didn't really have a choice.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Re: Man Of Steel

Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    HOW DID THEY FUCK THIS UP SO BAD??? FUCK YOU ZACK SNYDER!!!!

What a painfully boring movie. It was like shitty 80s sci-fi. Forget the "does superman kill?" argument. Does Superman have a FUCKING CHARACTER? Is there some reason we should give a FUCK about this guy? Is there some reason that he is the way he is? Does he ever say anything meaningful or interesting?

The writing in this was just god awful. Like from the bottom up. I don't even know where to start. how about this:

Superman Returns > Man of Steel.

Easily.

I will say that the action scenes in the second half were spectacular. That's exactly what Superman needed. But you know what else Superman needs? Character development Some kind of personality. A reason for me to care about him. Decent pacing, god the pacing in this movie was shit. Zack Snyder with his total lack of restraint....

A real shame, because those action scenes were nice, at least.
    Blasphema!!!

Jk. This movie wasnt for everyone. I completely disagree with your opinion on it, but that is your opinion on it and that is OK

And this movie worse than superman returns?

Pass me that shit you are smoking.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I know, I know. Im the only person in the world who liked it. I liked the conflict and the character interelations... i found then very fascinating. I really dug the concept behind it...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm sort of in your boat...in that I didn't mind Superman Returns. Felt that Man of Steel was superior, but I didn't hate on Returns. Didn't feel Spacey as Luthor but everything else was pretty decent.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I have zero interest in this and I am not a Superman fan but I'm sure the pacing and development is off because this is an origin movie.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Zack Snyder really upped his game with this one. The fighting sequences, along with how Superman, Zod and his minions moved was spot on. The movie did lack character development... Like it felt we never got to spend enough time with Zod or Superman... Like this movie could have actually been an hour longer. The acting was solid and all the actors delivered. There were several moments in the movie where I was totally engaged and hyped up. Man of Steel was this close to being epic..... There was just something missing. It was epic though... Just not Matrix 1 epic

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    i really hated it! it was too glitzy for me, i was really looking forward to it too

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This movie was 2 hours of explosions. It was the most boring thing I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I thought on its own this film stands up. To me it was about a man seeking identity and each of his actions were part of that discovery. Shannon was great and its always a treat to see Diane Lane. I like that Zod wasn't a pure monster either. He had his drive and ambition although clouded. I just came away feeling like I saw a superb superhero action film.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Dot-Yung View Post
    This movie was 2 hours of explosions. It was the most boring thing I've ever seen.
    Absolutely agree with this. Maybe not 2 hours of explosions, but more like 1 hour of senseless explosions. The fights at the end seemed to drag on forever. No sense of real danger...I didn't feel like anything valuable was at stake during the Street Fighter type fights.

And I thought Zod was a boring, one-dimensional villain. No character to him whatsoever, like a cartoon-ish villain. Henry Cavill did good as Superman BUT there's only so much he can do with a bad script.

And the biggest plot hole, and I don't know how you all feel about this because it's part of the Superman mythology/comic book story, but I thought it was really REALLY stupid that Zod and his followers are sent to the Phantom zone when the leaders of Krypton knew that the planet was about to be destroyed anyways. Why not let them stay in the planet to die with everyone else? Again...I saw this and kind of tuned out of the movie. I don't think there was any logic whatsoever behind that move.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    They didn't believe in what had jar el had to say about the planets core degrading

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Everyone has summed up one way or another what I believe is right and wrong with this movie so I'll keep this short: I saw it, I liked it but it didn't meet my expectations. Then again, maybe my expectations were too great.

I still wish they'll do a sequel, mainly because of Henry Cavill. He is a great actor who deserves his time in the limelight. And he's not bad to look at.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I look at it this way, they can use the sequel to right as much as they can that maybe didn't come off so well the first time around. And someone online suggested this, it was so perfect that if by some miracle it does happen I will see this first day. Tom Cruise as Luthor.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I finally got to see Man of Steel yesterday and even though it didn't live up to my expectations i still really liked it. It has also sparked an interest in all things Superman for me. First thing im going to get is the anthology set. Then then rest of Smallville and work my way down. In other words: Collect all the Superman things. Where's a good place to start collecting the comics though?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    All Star Superman and Birthright are two comics I would recommend.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I still think Superman Returns is possibly one of the worst films ever created. Ever.

I really really enjoyed this however. I haven't enjoyed a superhero film for ages. The Dark Knight Rises was a disappointment (with the exception of the amazing Hathaway performance). The Amazing Spider-Man was atrocious. Thor comes pretty close to Superman Returns in terms of awfulness. Iron Man 3 was a snooze fest and The Avengers was average at best. Went in expecting it to be absolutely awful and came out very pleasantly surprised.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    You... like something?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christo View Post
    I still think Superman Returns is possibly one of the worst films ever created. Ever.

I really really enjoyed this however. I haven't enjoyed a superhero film for ages. The Dark Knight Rises was a disappointment (with the exception of the amazing Hathaway performance). The Amazing Spider-Man was atrocious. Thor comes pretty close to Superman Returns in terms of awfulness. Iron Man 3 was a snooze fest and The Avengers was average at best. Went in expecting it to be absolutely awful and came out very pleasantly surprised.
    what??? i can't follow your POV at all . you are totally all over the place.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    what??? i can't follow your POV at all . you are totally all over the place.
    Yeah that wasn't very sensical. In clarification, Man of Steel was one of the very few Superhero movies I've enjoyed in the last decade or so.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So, I'm going to jump back to Man of Steel and live in blissfully-ignorant-of-Ben-Affleck land, mostly because it's nice to geek out. I realize I'm overthinking this... but what's the fun in watching a comic book movie without getting detailed about it.

I really enjoyed Man of Steel. I'm not a huge Superman fan, but I've read some of the comics and love the DC Universe. I don't really get the hatred. I've read some of the thread but locally speaking, most people didn't enjoy the movie. Most of the arguments don't really make a whole lot of sense to me either. "They totally wrecked Metropolis!!" Yeah, that happens in the comics... more than it should. Good job security in the DC Universe is Metropolis Construction Worker. Doomsday, Battle for Metropolis, to name a couple of story arcs, involve mass destruction of Metropolis. "He didn't even try to move the battle away from the city." Yeah, because Zod and company seem like the type to just follow him away from the civilians. Sure, they hadn't acclimated to the environment - doesn't mean three on one is an easy fight for him there. "I just didn't care about the character(s)" ... um, why not? Maybe my familiarity with the characters, etc. hinders me on this one. I felt like all of the performances in the movie were pretty spot on. Most of the changes from the source material didn't really bother me, oddly. The only real complaint I have is the relationship between Lois and Superman seemed almost random. Truthfully, I'm kinda sick of Superman's origin story. This felt like a really fresh take on the whole thing. And that is probably why I like the movie and a lot of people do not... but I'm just guessing, obviously. I get a lot of *shrug* "Just didn't like it".

Now, the sequel is sounding like a fucking disaster... for so many reasons.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Hated this movie. Super lame story, full of plot holes and Cavill has as much personality as a plank of wood. Just as bad or maybe even worse than Superman Returns. I have zero enthusiasm for the new Batman-Superman film.