Jane's Addiction

Boooo! @ new album.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I like it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    "Twisted Tales" and "Splash A Little Water On It" are the standout tracks for me. Great album!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I thought it was pretty horrible throughout (maybe even worse than Strays.) Cash-in album with a few legit songs scattered amongst the filler.

It looks like there will only be two quality albums from this band, which is a bit of a shame considering how much talent they've had throughout the years.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    They did a concert with Lady Gaga and J-Lo. This hurts. I'm glad Eric Avery chose not to rejoin the band again. He doesn't need to degrade himself with this bullshit.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    the Uncensored Underground video here.
    Great song, video is alright as well.

http://www.playboy.com/entertainment...licit-premiere

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Great Escape Artist was pretty fucking awful. I thought it was worse than Strays as well. Eric is just the secret weapon, he's probably the guy who said things like "hey, that doesn't sound good, we don't need to do that". GEA just sounded like a bunch of half baked ideas rolled onto an album. I will say on NIN/JA, these dudes still fucking killed it on stage.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I enjoyed Great Escape Artist, through and though. Leagues better than Strays and a good new age Jane's album as far as I'm concerned. I seen the video days ago, was cool.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm with you on that. Strays had some good songs, but there were moments that were forced and whatever. I enjoy the last album a lot more. Feels more like Jane's being Jane's than Strays did. I blame the production on Strays for that. Ezrin was a terrible fit.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tgea is shitty for a jane's album but not too bad by itself. Strays is just a shitty album all together.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Not gonna do a one-line review of the record, as that in NO WAY does justice to this band. They're on form as far as I'm concerned. There are a few moments I quibble with production-wise (time-stretched drumkit — yuck), but it's a huge leap above Strays. Navarro got himself some monster guitar tones!

Looking forward to seeing them live on tour again next month...

Fuck Tapatalk
    Last edited by botley; 01-29-2012 at 08:12 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I've gotta agree. And as far as I'm concerned, this is as close to old Jane's as as we're going to get. Which is really awesome, because they seem like they've gotten back in touch with their pre-Strays sound and made it fit in with their new form. I'm gonna try my hardest to see them in Kansas City, but if not, at least I can say I saw them on the NINJA tour a couple times. I imagine a theater show would be a hell of a lot more fun than an amphitheater, as far as these guys go (not that there was anything wrong with seeing them outdoors, but more intimacy with the band is always a good thing).

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    From what I hear, when they play in small clubs, they really get into their element.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Too bad these are theatres, not clubs. Still should be pretty amazing up close!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Glad to see that other users on here listen to/call in/skype Dark Matter (@Botley). Very entertaining radio program.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I love Dark Matter. I'm a bit behind tho haha.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Word up. I always catch the podcast even if I miss a live show... but I think Dave seems to be under the impression that I'm an actual scientist, haha.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I always used to listen to Dark Matter in 2009. I loved that show and Navarro is a great DJ. I fell out of the curve and just stopped altogether around early 2010, I should start again sometime.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I think Dave seems to be under the impression that I'm an actual scientist, haha.
    Hah. He's crazy into extra-terrestrial shit, so regardless of what exactly you say even remotely related to the genre...he's checked in. But you certainly did sound like you knew your stuff last you skyped in.

@space suicide...get back on it man. Some of the shit they say on the show is out-of-bounds hilarious. Some callers as of late have been totally on crack too.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I love that Navarro actually seemed to recognize me in the crowd last night, haha. Amazing gig at Massey Hall; "Three Days" was the best I've ever heard it sound and the new songs all kicked ass. They skipped "Irresistible Force", but "Underground", "End to the Lies" (Dave singing backup on the choruses!) and "Words Right Out of My Mouth" more than made up for it.

It was also great to hear a stripped-down mini-set in the middle with "Classic Girl", "Jane Says" and "I Would For You"!

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    I don't have tickets to Lollapalooza this year, but I am going up to see Jane's Addiction play an "afterparty" show separate from the rest of the festival.

It was just a free pass from a pal of sister but I'm TOTALLY psyched about it. Never been a really big fan, but I've always enjoyed their music and they definitely kicked ass at the NIN/JA shows. Hoping to get away with filming again!

Anyway, while trying to refresh my memory and prepare for the show tomorrow I finally went ahead and uploaded my footage of their last NIN/JA show.

Enjoy!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I now own the new album. Barely worth the buy, still. Those cringe-y songs.
    Last edited by Amaro; 08-02-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    What are you cringing at, exactly? I don't have any problem with these songs; they sound like Jane's songs, with Perry being his usual flamboyant self and the band doing its thing behind him. I don't mind people not liking it, but I don't understand why fans of their old stuff sometimes give the same things they supposedly don't like on the new stuff a pass just because Eric was involved in the recording.
    Last edited by botley; 08-02-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I liked it. Felt more like a JA album that Strays did.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I liked it, too. More than Strays, but I still don't think that was a bad album, either. It was the first piece of work from them I'd really listend to, and it just didn't feel like a "Jane's Addiction" album - once I became more familiar with the band, anyway. Still pretty happy I get to see them again after the NINJA tour!

I'll probably keep mentioning that I have an extra ticket/poster for the Nebraska show on the 25th if anyone's interested in meeting up. :P Of course, I'm moving in less than two weeks, so there's a chance I'll find someone up there that wants to tag along, too. My very few Jane's Addiction-loving friends won't be close enough to make the show.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    What are you cringing at, exactly? I don't have any problem with these songs; they sound like Jane's songs, with Perry being his usual flamboyant self and the band doing its thing behind him. I don't mind people not liking it, but I don't understand why fans of their old stuff sometimes give the same things they supposedly don't like on the new stuff a pass just because Eric was involved in the recording.
    Curiosity Kills
    I'll Hit You Back (though more-so indifferent)
    Splash a Little Water on It
    Words Right Out of My Mouth

I think the JA spirit is on the new album, the songwriting just isn't all to my liking.
    Last edited by Amaro; 08-02-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This is the best band i have ever seen in my life . It was years ago. But i will still love them unconditionally for that performance.

I never thought their records were masterpieces, their records meant shit, compared to their performances, live they just created this real unifying vibe. It was a vibe that did not seem fake. It was pure ecstasy when i saw them. No drugs were involved but they were so good i just had this surge of energy for everything afterwards. Everyone was freaking out reminiscent of the 60s. Metal guys dancing with transvestites. Crazy.

Tracks like Three Days, Mountain Song, Jane Says, Stop, Ocean Size, Been Caught Stealing sound BIBLICAL live.

Dave Navarro may have done a lot of stupid shit since Janes Addiction but he was a titan on guitar that day i had never seen anyone play so well. He was only in his early twenties then. Perry Farell was like Freddie Mercury on Acid, he was probably even camper than Boy George at the gig, he is such a great frontman.
    Live they were something else, last saw them at Reading Festival in 2002. Without Eric Avery. But it still blew me away.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    JANE'S ADDICTION
    live in Burgettstown, PA
    6/10/09

Sorry for the lack of audio for the first 50 seconds...post-coital NIN bliss made me forget to turn on my mic, lol. Damned fine bootleg otherwise, if I do say so myself.

:)

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    sort of related, but i've always loved perry farrell's previous LA deathrock band PSI COM:

but i'm pretty disposed to loving stuff like this anyway--- red temple spirits, kommunity FK, savage republic, autumnfair, theatre of hate etc. desert jams.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 08-03-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Having trouble finding this out, does anyone know which bass(es) Eric Avery used in the studio recordings?