Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So NIN is back together huh???

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

So NIN is back together huh???

I'm not really sure if any of you would be interested, but I write a music blog and I just wrote a piece about NIN making their return and how I feel about "reunited" bands. Check it out if you get a second and let me know what you think!

http://gutterbubbles.blogspot.com/20...-you-quit.html

I'm also gonna round up my collection and post pics later today!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Probably could have been put in the NIN Spotting thread.

But one comment I have on this article, is that you made an incorrect assumption. Trent never said that he quit, or retired. He just said he was taking a hiatus from NIN and touring, and actually stated that he wasn't quitting, was just simply taking a break and would be working on it at a later time.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    "I thought Trent "retired" Nine Inch Nails. I can't remember seeing anything that explicitly stated that NIN was done, but that was kind of my assumption. I thought it was an unspoken certainty that it was over."

I did make an incorrect assumption....Like I said, I just kind of figured that it would be over. I mean, can you imagine an almost 50 year old Trent playing "March Of The Pigs?" At the time, I would've said no. But, it looks like it's gonna happen. And I'm really cool with that!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    NIN can't get back together or be reunited because it's just Trent. It's down to when he feels like doing stuff. Not a group of people.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    True enough. However, as a touring entity, NIN can definitely be reunited (unless Trent just stands up there singing to a tape karaoke style). And that's really what surprised me. I guess I just didn't see that part of it coming.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Dude's going to be touring til he dies. It's a cycle. Tour for a couple of years, get absolutely sick of touring, go back to the studio. Get cabin fever, after a few years, tour. If that's what you've been doing since you were 23, it seems to be a hard habit to kick.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcspiral View Post
    True enough. However, as a touring entity, NIN can definitely be reunited (unless Trent just stands up there singing to a tape karaoke style). And that's really what surprised me. I guess I just didn't see that part of it coming.
    There is only ONE permanent member of NIN, touring or otherwise, so to be "reunited" in any sense is fallacious. Trent's not quit touring, he just wanted an extended break, which isn't unreasonable.

And "Wave Goodbye" followed the convention of naming tours after unreleased songs imo, rather than meaning "the last tour".

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    And "Wave Goodbye" followed the convention of naming tours after unreleased songs imo, rather than meaning "the last tour".
    You mean it had nothing to do with Trent saying that it would be the end of the live incarnation of NIN?

Don't get me wrong, I'll sign up for more live NIN as soon as it's available, but I do believe there was a clear understanding that he sold the Wave Goodbye tour as Nine Inch Nails, you know, "waving goodbye" to touring.

EDIT: "for the foreseeable future", ok, but still waving goodbye. Live: With Teeth, Performance 2007 and Lights In The Sky were not named after unreleased songs.
    Last edited by FernandoDante; 11-16-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    What song came back on the NINJA and Wave Goodbye tours? Now I'm Nothing. What is the closing line, repeated several times, of that song? "Wave goodbye".

Boom, your mind is blown.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    What song came back on the NINJA and Wave Goodbye tours? Now I'm Nothing. What is the closing line, repeated several times, of that song? "Wave goodbye".

Boom, your mind is blown.
    Now, he wouldn't give that name to the tour just because he decided to resurrect the song.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I remember when Closure was announced/released and the speculation surrounding the meaning of its title.

The sky, it seems, is always falling.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    Now, he wouldn't give that name to the tour just because he decided to resurrect the song.
    I firmly think Trent names his tours based on hitting "random page" on ninwiki.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There is only ONE permanent member of NIN, touring or otherwise, so to be "reunited" in any sense is fallacious. Trent's not quit touring, he just wanted an extended break, which isn't unreasonable.

True, but I remember him being pretty fucking definitive about the tour being the end of NIN (See: the interview in MOJO June or July 2009 issue). I can't remember how many times I read that those shows would be the end of touring for the band, and now here we are three years later and he's denying he gave that impression at all. Don't get me wrong, I am literally overjoyed that the band are probably going to tour again in some capacity, and I'll be going to every show my bank balance allows me to. But I can't help but feel a little indignant that all the drama and import of the final tour has been gone back on only three years later. Sure, the band needed a break after all the activity of 2005 - 2009, but he could have called it for what it was and not given everyone the false impression of a final tour. The band have gone on hiatus before and it never called for a 'farewell' ever time; bands do it all the time. Of course, I'm not saying I don't want NIN to tour; holy hell I do! I just kind of feel that the big emotional goodbyes of the last tour could have been spared.
    Last edited by Trains; 11-17-2012 at 06:36 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    TR at the Wiltern show: "We're not going to tour anymore as Nine Inch Nails, but we're all still going to be making music."

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    So what are those 2 bands he's starting live rehearsals with?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nine_inch_nerd View Post
    So what are those 2 bands he's starting live rehearsals with?
    Is that question to me? Hell yeah I think one is NIN, and as I said in another post somewhere, you won't see me complaining. That was for the people saying "he never really said NIN wouldn't tour again" and "the Wave Goodbye tour was really named after a song."

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Rehearsal pics or it didn't happen

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    I really don't know.
    Maybe we gonna get a big surprise.

I cannot imagine he will play songs from the nineties-era (wish, closer, hlah, sin, hurt etc etc etc): he's not in the mood for these songs anymore (different time with a different emotion). If he does, I will be a little bit disappointed (I'm not interested in a greatest hits set up)
    And....he sold all the live gear/equipment a couple of years ago, he used with NIN in the past....

I cannot imagine he starts again, acting like nothing has happened and changed.

Again, I have a feeling (and I'm hoping) he will come with something different, we all don't expect!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nine_inch_nerd View Post
    I really don't know.
    Maybe we gonna get a big surprise.

I cannot imagine he will play songs from the nineties-era (wish, closer, hlah, sin, hurt etc etc etc): he's not in the mood for these songs anymore (different time with a different emotion). If he does, I will be a little bit disappointed (I'm not interested in a greatest hits set up)
    And....he sold all the live gear/equipment a couple of years ago, he used with NIN in the past....

I cannot imagine he starts again, acting like nothing has happened and changed.

Again, I have a feeling (and I'm hoping) he will come with something different, we all don't expect!
    I really hope you're right. I mean, it's not that I would be horribly disappointed to see the same set-up come back, but I would be thrilled to see something completely new, creative and inspiring. (Although I do remember when the first videos in the style of LITS Me I'm Not/Vessel/The Warning surfaced from Europe, I said that if he structured a whole tour like that I'd hate it. So I'm admittedly... fickle.)

And I think he still has all the gear to play all the old songs -- on tour, didn't they have multiples of everything in case of breakage (intentional or otherwise)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I swear he said pretty much straight after they stopped touring that it was only gonna be a hiatus and they'd be back in awhile. Don't take magazines for truth, journalists often twist things to present an agenda. And did you really honestly think he'd stop touring NiN really? I mean for all accounts and purposes in his words he only really got the hang of it somewhere in the 00's. I think it was more likely that he just wanted to take some time out to dedicate to his new relationship which is more than fair enough really isn't it!

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    C'mon, everyone knew he was going to be back. I knew he was going to be back, just not this soon. I assumed he was going to be taking a longer break.
    I thought 2013 was going to be devoted to all HTDA, then in late 2013 he'd start work on new NIN, use the majority of 2014 to perfect his NIN, then hit the road in 2015.

I seriously did not expect NIN to make a live comeback this soon, but i'm estatic about it! I miss live NIN so much, I've been going to soooo many live shows between 2009 and now to fill the void, and damn nothing comes close to the magic of a NIN show, nothing!

Trent is the hardest man in rock 'n roll, he just doesn't know when to stop. He jumps from one project to another without a vacation. This man is a true workaholic, nothing stands in his way, not even raising 2 children!

I'd really hate to be the one to bring this up, but I have a feeling he is using NIN as bait for his new band, HTDA. He knows not many people know about it still, and he is thinking how can he spread the word. I think he's getting NIN back together to tour with HTDA as the opening band so he can expose his new band to a wider audience. I'm just wondering if he is going to debut new NIN songs live on this tour, if he even has any.
    Regarding what a few people said already, I can't see him busting out a "greatest hists" show again, and he really went above and beyond on the last tour. He busted out every known song that has never been played before (with the exception of a few I am still dying to hear - Perfect Drug, Sunspots, demon seed Where is everybody, I'm looking forward to Joining you finally). But all in all, he pretty much played his entire catalog on the last run.

The only thing I can see him doing is "The Fragile: The album Live", but I know he isn't gonna bust that out this soon. He is going to wait until the deluxe reissue of the 5.1 fragile and he will be on the road again to do the full album live from front to back.

I hope he tours on an all new set of songs, but only time will tell. More importantly, who is going to be in NIN Live now? Is Robin and JMJ and Ilan Rubins all coming back? Or is he gonna get atticus and his wife to play instead? Really makes ya wonder... it would save on hirring costs to just use the HTDA crew, haha. but something tells me MQ can't play drums, she could probably pull off a synth... Which leads me to beleive they might do what someone else above also mentioned, a 3 person TRIO NIN setup with just 3 synths IE: The warning, the great destroyer, me i'm not, vessel etc.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    For some reason, people who think they know something about the touring situation flock to the coachella message board (p. 60, 63).
    Last edited by somewhat_; 11-17-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: add hyperlinks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm just glad it's on the agenda. whenever it happens is fine & I'm going to feel as giddy as that run '05-'09 run all over again

No one individual puts quite near half the energy into live performance TR IZ does & that's something to look forward to seeing, NEVER get old!

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    For some reason, people who think they know something about the touring situation flock to the coachella message board (p. 60, 63).
    Sladokusac talks convinced with his statement on that message board. Wow!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    The only thing I can see him doing is "The Fragile: The album Live", but I know he isn't gonna bust that out this soon. He is going to wait until the deluxe reissue of the 5.1 fragile and he will be on the road again to do the full album live from front to back.
    Maybe he'll do some shows, record them and make it part of the package he has planned?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Makes me wonder how exactly The Fragile could be pulled off in a live setting..I can imagine Ripe (With Decay) being a pretty anticlimactic closer in a live setting. Would be nice to hear The New Flesh and Ten Miles High though. I wonder if he's considering this... Before 2009 I never would have thought Trent would be the kind to do perform a 10+ year old album live.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Trent WAS hanging out with Freese and Lohner a couple of weeks ago, for whatever that's worth.

Also, I don't think The Fragile is good enough to warrant a full show where they just play it. Don't shoot me.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Only TDS and YZ would work end to end, neither of which is quite long enough to warrant a production solely for them, imo.

Though, I'd still love to see Ghosts 1-38 in full.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Sod off Fragile naysayers - it would a complete roller coaster live. Anyway I've seen Gary Numan play the Pleasure Principle in full live, and he played other stuff afterwards - so the whole show wouldn't have to end with Ripe (with decay) - he could always break into the trillionth Head Like a Hole afterwards to keep the punters happy. I looked up the running time - 103mins, so 15 more minutes of music would make a 2 hr show

Only TDS and YZ would work end to end, neither of which is quite long enough to warrant a production solely for them, imo.

Though, I'd still love to see Ghosts 1-38 in full.
    He's done Downward Spiral live already - and he has Fragile Deluxe to tour with, so it would make sense in that respect. Sorry Ghosts 1-38 could be halved, playing the whole thing would be a snooze festival but a few interspersed with others sounds great - The Social Network soundtrack showed what Ghosts should have been in my opinion. I would actually pay to hear that soundtrack played in full
    Last edited by WorzelG; 11-18-2012 at 03:26 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Trent WAS hanging out with Freese and Lohner a couple of weeks ago, for whatever that's worth.
    AKA two close friends he likes hanging out with, neither of whom are in the band anymore. They're great players, don't get me wrong, but also mad busy dudes. I'm not holding my breath.
    Also, I don't think The Fragile is good enough to warrant a full show where they just play it. Don't shoot me.
    SHOOTING WOULD BE TOO POOR A PUNISHMENT, BLASPHEMER
    Last edited by botley; 11-18-2012 at 07:01 AM.