Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Stand Up

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    jesus ... amy schumer DID steal jokes AND the delivery.

that bums me the fuck out.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I saw Chris Rock last night. He's understandably not as good as his previous stand-ups, but dammit he still had me losing my breath laughing at some of his material. Easily in my Top 10 comedians of all time. Hannibal Buress opened up for him as well who's a great up and comer.

From his last tour, this one of the best pieces of material I've ever seen:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

This is pretty funny.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Cross-posting some stuff I wrote on another forum, so that's why it might be worded a bit too over-explainy lol. I'm sure you guys know all these folks, but here's some shit I've been watching and loving.

I especially recommend Nate Bargatze, Marc Maron, and Jim Jefferies. Louis CK is a sex predator but I think it's still acceptable to find him funny time to time.

I'm gonna double post because the forum won't let me link more than 10 videos lol... Pls forgive me.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Anyway... Norm MacDonald has a new Netflix special! I'm not sure how I missed this, but it's gonna be the next thing I do after posting this. Dude is a fucking genius. I'm not sure why I never considered him one of my all time favorites. Probably just lack of exposure. But every time I listen to any of his stuff, he cracks me the fuck up. It's just this weird blend of apathy and anti-humor and never knowing which direction he's gonna take anything. Just his entire demeanor is goddamn hilarious. Nobody does it like him.

They're not on YouTube, but you gotta watch him on the Comedy Central Roast of Bob Saget and this spot on the Daily Show in '96. Unreal.

I also love his history of Conan appearances and how well they play off of each other. The moth joke is probably the funniest single 'joke' I've ever heard.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The only comedian I've ever seen live was Russell Brand.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Not stand up, but it's from an improv podcast where everybody does stand up.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I watched the first of the two new Dave Chappelle specials on Netflix, and good god, I think he's better than ever. My wife and I both laughed our asses off.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    been listening to a lot off bill burr lately
    -Louie

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    -Louie
    Love him! He's coming here for our comedy festival in March, so had to score tickets.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    -Louie
    If you like his stand up, I highly recommend checking out The Monday Morning Podcast. He releases one twice a week. He’s fantastic.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    If you like his stand up, I highly recommend checking out The Monday Morning Podcast. He releases one twice a week. He’s fantastic.

thanks
    -Louie

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Burr’s podcast is a dream. One of the greatest living comedians (possibly ever) releasing 2 hours of new content every week that is often just as good as his actual act and often the origins of a lot of his material. He’s such a naturally funny, silly person that he can ramble about anything and kill me. I know nothing about sports but I still listen to him complain about it. I skip ads on every podcast but I always listen to his because they’re so hilarious and weird. Ring Video Doorbell is hysterical. Him losing a sponsor for making a joke about the leader of the KKK using their product was incredible.

What’d everyone think of the new Chappelle specials?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Burr’s podcast is a dream. One of the greatest living comedians (possibly ever) releasing 2 hours of new content every week that is often just as good as his actual act and often the origins of a lot of his material. He’s such a naturally funny, silly person that he can ramble about anything and kill me. I know nothing about sports but I still listen to him complain about it. I skip ads on every podcast but I always listen to his because they’re so hilarious and weird. Ring Video Doorbell is hysterical. Him losing a sponsor for making a joke about the leader of the KKK using their product was incredible.

What’d everyone think of the new Chappelle specials?
    The first one felt more like a sit down interview/confession. The 2nd was golden. I’m waiting for Chris Rock’s special.

In reference to Burr’s advertising, all I have to say is Zip:

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    The first one felt more like a sit down interview/confession. The 2nd was golden. I’m waiting for Chris Rock’s special.

In reference to Burr’s advertising, all I have to say is Zip:

surely you mean that the other way around right? The second one was the one where he was actually sitting down.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I’m pretty excited for Tom Segura’s new Netflix special, Disgraceful, that comes out one week from today.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I saw John Mulaney tonight, and he was magnificent. As an encore, he did “The Salt and Pepper Diner.”

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    In my seat about 5 min from seeing Bill Burr. So pumped.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Report: Bill Burr was fucking hilarious. All new material which was amazing. Got in to it with a drunk heckler and had her booted out. She was out of her mind and after a few minutes he just... 'What was that crazy lady yelling on about? Did you see how she just ran down to the front of the stage like she was on the fuckin' Price is Right?' LOL

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Did you guys like the Netflix Chris Rock special? I thought it was pretty damn funny

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    The joke when he asked men if they thought they were in charge of their house was brilliant. So true.

When he got more personal than he really ever has before, that's when the special really took off.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    who feels like cringing ?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    me again...

Why do people find Doug Stanhope funny? He just rambles on and on and probably wouldn't have fans if he wasn't a drinker, cigarette smoker and drug taker. Boring version of Bill Hicks. Am I missing something?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I love Doug Stanhope but instead of arguing I'm gonna post some more stand-up I like.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I love Doug Stanhope but instead of arguing I'm gonna post some more stand-up I like.

With the possible exception of "black Trevor" and the "who likes smooth jazz?" non sequitur that was terrible. What do you like about Stanhope? Can you recommend some bits that could convince me ?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    With the possible exception of "black Trevor" and the "who likes smooth jazz?" non sequitur that was terrible. What do you like about Stanhope? Can you recommend some bits that could convince me ?
    It was kind of purposely 'terrible.' Weinbach is very into the absurd type of humor. It's definitely an acquired taste but it's a league apart from hacks who just happen to be terrible.

I'm not sure if I could convince you that Stanhope is good if you already don't like him. His type of humor is pretty up-front. I listen to him less lately as I've gotten far more into the aforementioned absurd humor and less into the anti-establishment guys-making-a-statement type of humor, but here are a few of my favorite bits.

And for context, I'm the furthest from any sort of alt-right personality. I'm very liberal and I hate that shit. It's easy to lump Stanhope in with that crowd or the Bill Burr types (meh) at first glance but I wouldn't place him in there at all. He's raunchy and shits on certain groups, but I've never gleaned any hateful vibes from him or any of that nonsense.

I also hate religion, hate breeding, love drugs, etc.

I'll use this opportunity to plug another one of my favorite comedians, a lesser known dude who needs way more attention. This guy slays me every time. Not all good stand-up hits you with real laugh-out-loud moments, but Nate Bargatze knows just right where to get me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Bill Burr has to be my favourite comedian nowadays. His specials always murder. I saw him last year in Toronto and he was hilarious as usual. Paul Virzi opened for him and he was hilarious too, very solid act. Also, Burr’s podcast is the shit, I listen to it religiously and it’s always fun, especially when Nia is on the podcast and they break each other’s balls. He has mellowed a bit, but on the latest podcast (April 19, 2018) he mentioned to comedian Bret Ernst how the current PC environment is fueling some material that is more outrageous. Looking forward to checking that out.

The Chapelle specials on Netflix are incredible, really well crafted.

I never got Louis CK. I watched 2 of his specials and I found his humour very juvenile, junior-high level funny. All the sex and kids bits seem like he is trying too hard to be irreverent. I find him extremely overrated as a comedian.

I find Joe Rogan not so funny too. His latest special (Triggered, I think) wasn’t that bad, but it just didn’t do it for me. He preaches too much, like a guy who had a good introspective trip on acid and feels like he has to tell everyone THE TRUTH and guide the herd. His podcast is great though, lots of cool guests and interesting conversations. I particularly liked the one with Shirley Manson, she’s funny and cool as shit; but it is when he has fellow comedians as guests on his podcast when I find that Rogan is unfunny.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    I watched about half of her new special. I can't remember ever seeing anything from her before, but it was definitely funny, and touched on a ton of relevant social issues.

The point she made about how a man will never cum in your mouth and then get nervous about it tasting okay... Fucking fantastic. Women are taught to be ashamed of their bodies and sexuality from the time they are children.

I think a lot of the hatred of her centers around just being a woman talking about her body and sex in a manner that men are uncomfortable with. It seems reminiscent of the stance that many have with naked pictures. They will clamor to stare at naked photos that have been hacked and stolen from women, but if a woman releases them on her own, they hurl insults at her. Women are only meant to be sexual beings when they deem it to be so, and if she does that on her own, she's awful.

Or, perhaps the talk of her body is just something a lot of men have a hard time relating to? idk. But I want to watch the second half!

The Chappelle ones mixed moments of absolute brilliance with moments of absolute trash. Kind of a tossup for me, which is disappointing!
    Or maybe she just isn’t funny to some.

I watched the leather special and I found it a huge waste of time, some funny bits, but nothing worth some true laughter. More than the material itself, I think it’s her delivery that I find lame.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Those Neil Bergatze bits are pretty funny. Never heard of him before.
    Never got Louis CK either. Amy Schumer being a famous comedian is beyooond me.
    Joe Rogan isn't a great stand up but he is really great with his podcast, asking the right questions, letting his guests speak... i guess he is a bit like Marc Maron in that respect.
    Last edited by mfte; 04-23-2018 at 04:13 PM.