Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Stand Up

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    What goes hard is motherfucking Eddie Murphy. THAT is the funniest shit i think i've ever seen.
    Him and Richard Pryor both.

I watched Eddie Murphy Raw when i was like 23 and almost fucking died.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    What goes hard is motherfucking Eddie Murphy. THAT is the funniest shit i think i've ever seen.
    Him and Richard Pryor both.

I watched Eddie Murphy Raw when i was like 23 and almost fucking died.
    His bit about Bill Cosby admonishing him for cursing and Richard Pryor's advice to him about dealing with Cosby, complete with impressions, is freaking hilarious.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    I don't know, that's actually why I find him funny. Just because I laugh doesn't mean I agree.
    Going back to Carlin, when I read the comments Clint Eastwood made recently about what he sees as oversensitivity in today's culture, I thought George said it better, or rather predicted it.

It's one thing to laugh but not agree, but to laugh, not agree but consider the argument in a way you might not have expected. To me, Burr is not up to snuff in this regard.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Bill Burr treads that line between the bro white guy comedy crowd and more forward thinking circles. Not necessarily in the content, but in the audience he's cultivated. By buddying up with the O&A crowd over the years, that shitty bro contigent is a big part of his audience. He's def. a more liberal guy though, as you can tell from his act and from his personal life.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Throw a little Mitch into the mix

Last edited by mfte; 08-25-2016 at 08:50 AM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Such a great interview, makes me miss George Carlin even more.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Louis CK announced new fall tour.

Finally get to see him again!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Not really gonna be stand up, but I'm pretty excited to be seeing (and possibly meeting) Norm Macdonald discuss his new book tonight.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    So that guy Dave Chappelle is back. Not sure if anyone's heard of him...

I've seen some relatively mixed things about the two specials, but I personally found them both to be hilarious, particularly the first one. It was like he hasn't missed a beat in the 10 years he's been gone and I welcome him back with open arms.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Is there any real controversy with Amy Schumer and her new special? Do real people actually not like her anymore, or just shitheads trolling her online? I'm a fan, but she IS getting kind of annoying and I could see her new stuff not being funny. I found the HBO special lacking as all she did was jokes about fucking for an hour. It got old.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I found the HBO special lacking as all she did was jokes about fucking for an hour. It got old.
    Isn't that the biggest complaint from the "shitheads trolling her online"? I've never watched any of her standup so I don't have a real opinion on her, but from what I've read her whole shtick is just "my vagina" comedy. I understand men do a lot of comedy about their penises, but the important part is to be funny while doing it. Again, I can't say subjectively whether she is funny or not while doing it, that's just what I've heard.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Only someone from the Alt Right would openly say they don't think Amy Schumer is not funny, or that she is probably a joke stealer.

I've recently been enjoying a little Tom Papa.... all the comics in this special are good actually

Last edited by mfte; 03-23-2017 at 08:16 AM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I watched about half of her new special. I can't remember ever seeing anything from her before, but it was definitely funny, and touched on a ton of relevant social issues.

The point she made about how a man will never cum in your mouth and then get nervous about it tasting okay... Fucking fantastic. Women are taught to be ashamed of their bodies and sexuality from the time they are children.

I think a lot of the hatred of her centers around just being a woman talking about her body and sex in a manner that men are uncomfortable with. It seems reminiscent of the stance that many have with naked pictures. They will clamor to stare at naked photos that have been hacked and stolen from women, but if a woman releases them on her own, they hurl insults at her. Women are only meant to be sexual beings when they deem it to be so, and if she does that on her own, she's awful.

Or, perhaps the talk of her body is just something a lot of men have a hard time relating to? idk. But I want to watch the second half!

The Chappelle ones mixed moments of absolute brilliance with moments of absolute trash. Kind of a tossup for me, which is disappointing!

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i LOVE amy. to a fault, even. her cc show, her book, trainwreck ... just brilliant. the problem with her new special is *nothing* was new. anyone who's caught her on ellen (toned down, of course) and elsewhere knows the bulk of this material and has for a while now. great stuff ... the first time.

i still enjoyed it, but nothing was gut-busting thanks to the deja vu.
    Last edited by kel; 03-23-2017 at 07:45 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I couldn't be further from the alt rignt and I hated Amy's new hour. I kept waiting for it to pull through and it just never got an honest laugh out of me. Her show had a lot of great skits and I've enjoyed her on a lot of podcasts as well as in Trainwreck but her actual stand up almost never connects for me, and The Leather Special was just downright uncomfortable from how unfunny I found it. The idea that everyone who disliked it has to be some rampant manchild misogynist on Breitbart and 4chan is absurd.

I adored Chappelle's new hours -- Age of Spin had the most thoughtful and interesting stories to it and Austin had the strongest jokes. The man's still got it and deserves his place as a legend of the craft.

I also recently watched and liked Katherine Ryan's newest hour on Netflix. In general they're killing it with getting everybody and anybody to do an hour with them -- just this year they've gotten stuff from people like Burr, Schumer, Norton, Burbiglia, Chappelle, and they've got deals with Seinfeld and CK now, too; it's insane. They're covering all the bases. It feels like every week they have a new one out and it's hard to keep up, which is an amazing problem to be having. I just want a new Maria Bamford hour sometime soon -- she's in my top 5 of all time and there's honestly no one else like her around.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    It probably feels like they are putting out a new one each week because they are.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/netflix-...specials-2017/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    After watching the I think 2 Mulaney specials on Netflix I jumped on the day tickets went on sale for his summer tour. He's got some great material.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient View Post
    After watching the I think 2 Mulaney specials on Netflix I jumped on the day tickets went on sale for his summer tour. He's got some great material.
    Mulaney is incredible. His album The Top Part is well worth the listen. I'm really hoping a Florida date rolls around for him when he expands his tour.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Don't think anyone in this thread's mentioned Tom Segura yet. Definitely a new favorite of mine. He's got two specials out now, the more recent one is on Netflix. Highly recommended.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I thought the Michael Che one was really good.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Ex-Indianapolis Colts punter Pat McAfee has done some stand up and it's really funny.

He's started up a podcast too which has been pretty solid.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Last edited by mfte; 03-30-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    It's our old friend . . .

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

The above Cavett appearance shows his comedy and some serious discussion occasionally too. A truly great man. My wife & I were lucky enough to see him a few years ago in Long Island. He killed, despite having a few memory lapses and repeating some bits. But then he caught himself each time and made fun of himself and his age. A legend that will be missed. Very sad day.

Rest In Peace.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I thought Dave Chappelle's new shit was fucking hilarious. I felt a tiny bit bad because i know some of it was a little offensive.

But he is a fucking hero to me. Six of my friends and i got stoned and sneaked into the theater to see Half Baked when we were teenagers.
    And god DAMN, i was sold.

and here he is again! i fucking love it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    If you haven't seen the brand new Louis CK stand-up special (simply titled "2017"), it's on Netflix and it is fantastic (as is to be expected from Louie, who is without doubt, my favorite comedian). If you were lucky enough to catch him on his latest tour like I did back in August of 2016, it's pretty much the same material, though I felt he'd refined/polished it up a bit and I still laughed my ass off until I was nearly crying. Highly recommended! I'm a big Dave Chappelle fan too, but his new specials were a little more hit and miss to me. Killin' Them Softly was his best, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Louie's new abortion bit was one of the funniest I've ever seen on the subject and managed to really confidently walk the line between offending both sides while still remaining consistent in its own absurd way. The Christian calendar bit, the Magic Mike and wanting a boyfriend bit, the Elizabethean parlor game bit -- all so good. The man just doesn't seem to have a bad special in him.

I think I overall preferred Age of Spin to the Texas special when it comes to Chappelle, but I thoroughly loved both. Spin was more "thoughtful" and challenging material while Texas was more just outrageous joke after joke and reminded me more of his earlier specials. I'm very excited for whatever his third is gonna be.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Louie's new abortion bit was one of the funniest I've ever seen on the subject and managed to really confidently walk the line between offending both sides while still remaining consistent in its own absurd way. The Christian calendar bit, the Magic Mike and wanting a boyfriend bit, the Elizabethean parlor game bit -- all so good. The man just doesn't seem to have a bad special in him.

I think I overall preferred Age of Spin to the Texas special when it comes to Chappelle, but I thoroughly loved both. Spin was more "thoughtful" and challenging material while Texas was more just outrageous joke after joke and reminded me more of his earlier specials. I'm very excited for whatever his third is gonna be.
    as usual, you said everything I would have said, but more eloquently. The Louis CK special is SO good. one of my personal heroes.