Thread: Carnivale

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient View Post
    I recently did a re-watch and forgot the disappointment I felt by the final season's pacing and how they did the last couple of episodes. It felt badly rushed toward the end as the well played out details they were able to expound upon in the early stages of the series just kind of took a back seat to getting the story wrapped up. But overall, superb series.
    To get the story wrapped up? HBO stopped the show after only 2 of 6 planned seasons. It was meant to be like a trilogy of books with 2 seasons making up a book. That's why the second season picks up speed like how a book starts moving along halfway through. The story wasn't wrapped up at all. Dan Knauf was at least nice enough to give us some info about the faiths of certain characters and what was to come. There was plenty of new characters to be introduced in the next four seasons. Plus he leaked the pitch document that explained a lot of the background.

But to say the second season was rushed to wrap up the story, I don't know about that because the story was not wrapped up at all. According to the creator, there was still 15 years to cover over the next 4 seasons. There are many questions left open, but perhaps that helps give the show everlasting greatness. You get some answers, but there's still enough to make you wonder and ask more questions.

Carnivale had one of HBO's largest audiences for its premiere that sadly dropped at the start of season 2, but actually grew again as the second season went on. I really do think a third season would have brought more people in. Hell, it still has a cult following after well over a decade and I'm constantly seeing new people discover and fall in love with the show only gutted to find it was axed early. One of HBO's biggest mistakes ever.

HBO can give me great shows like Game Of Thrones and Westworld, but Carnivale still hold that #1 spot in my book.

I don't want to spoil anything for new viewers, but the creator has posted some interesting things about the story that I got to copy and paste that will excite fans to learn from the man himself.
    Last edited by neorev; 03-18-2017 at 01:21 PM.