Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Coil vs Nine Inch Nails: Uncoiled/Recoiled

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    dammit! another limited LP release?? I'm still waiting for my original order to show up, and now I'm tempted to get this one...

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    dammit! another limited LP release?? I'm still waiting for my original order to show up, and now I'm tempted to get this one...
    Purely conjecture here, but I'm betting that with the various printing problems they ran into with the splattered vinyl (hence the multiple delays) this picture disc run is probably an effort to make up for lost revenue. Or maybe they just thought it'd be cool to do a picture disc, as there were a number of people I saw who were unable to get in on the original limited edition vinyl.
    @MAD must certainly be enjoying the mileage his photography is getting here

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Reminder to anyone who buys to play that picture discs sound worse than black :P

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Well, I can honestly say I'm surprised. I wasn't expecting a picture disk. They'll have at least one customer as I will buy it if they don't run out in 2 weeks time.
    @Leviathant , It's good publicity that's for sure. I don't know if anyone will come looking for me after this for some work. Also, if anyone's wondering, it's not like I'm getting a cut out of it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Very surprised to see that email come through, had to read it twice! Seriously, talk about milking it. I actually think the picture disc is a bit much.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyract View Post
    They now have a Picture Disc LP for pre-order.
    http://coldspring.co.uk/discography/.../#.UzGr6_ldXg0

Wow - really milking it now!

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Gotta admit the rope suits the picture disc format and shape well from an aesthetic point of view. I ordered it to go with the rest of the set. :-)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Feel free to use whatever you'd like from the interview, but I would appreciate a credit and for you to mention the podcast.
    I also interviewed Chris Vrenna. Also a really awesome guy.
    Get in touch if you have any questions or whatever.

pg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Got my splatter vinyl today. Warped to buggery and the hole in the middle isn't punched through properly

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Look what came in the mail today!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I got my splatter vinyl on Monday and am finally playing it tonight. It sounds horrible. As always, I used my anti-static brush, but there is lots of surface noise, mainly in the right channel but some in the left. It's pretty distracting and I probably won't play it again. If I can get a good price, I'll pick up the black pressing and it that sounds better, I'll probably just get rid of this splatter pressing. I'm usually not one to complain about this sort of thing, as I'm not expecting a ultra quiet pressing of everything, but I have 20 year old vinyl that I bought used that has less surface noise than this copy.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yup, my brown/black splatter vinyl came in today. Sounds like absolute shit. Only listened to Side A, but the TDS remix is downright unlistenable behind the constant crackling/surface noise. Really disappointed.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I just put it through the Spin Clean in case there was any particles left from the pressing plant, no change. I'm still proud of this project, and glad I supported it from the beginning, and that it got a physical release. That being said, this pressing is terrible. I would have been fine waiting another month if it meant getting copies that sounded better. It's a shame, and probably a good thing this wasn't officially condoned.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    It's a shame, and probably a good thing this wasn't officially condoned.
    ... wasn't it? Surely the copyright still belongs to Trent, therefore wouldn't he have had to be contacted to say it was okay to commercially release?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    ... wasn't it? Surely the copyright still belongs to Trent, therefore wouldn't he have had to be contacted to say it was okay to commercially release?
    Not sure how the rights issues worked with these tracks, Matt would know better. The credits say created by Peter Christopherson and Danny Hyde. Trent Reznor's name doesn't appear on any of the credits. What I meant is that it's not an official NIN release, meaning no Halo number, the NIN camp didn't have any hand in its release, hasn't acknowledged it or promoted it on their website or social media outlets.

I like the release, my issue is solely with the quality of the vinyl pressing. I saw one person say their black copy had noise issues, can anyone else chime in on their copy. It would nice to hear if that it's only a few.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    sorry to hear about all the pressing issues. i generally dislike colored vinyl and find that it sounds vastly inferior to black vinyl. i'm sure a lot of it is the pressing itself in this situation, but i've found that most colored vinyl has surface noise and more pops/crackles off the gate.

that said, i just got my black vinyl copy yesterday. haven't had a chance to listen yet, will report back if i have any issues with it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I am sooo pissed off

someone else recived suff like this ??? £13.15 for delivery and WTF !!

This is strange that this damage is under the orginal plastic
    Last edited by KreTafkA; 03-27-2014 at 09:14 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KreTafkA View Post
    I am sooo pissed off

Any time I order a vinyl and have it shipped to me, I always expect to see some sort of dings and bends from the shipping process. It sucks, but not a whole lot you can really do about it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

my colored vinyl was packaged TERRIBLY and literally wrapped in kitchen plastic-wrap instead of packing it with bubble wrap or any kind of proper padding. two of the corners are bent but i think i managed to escape seam damage.

i haven't opened it yet and spun it because i'm terrified about how awful it's going to sound.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    You got 2 of the colored ones??

I am sooo pissed off

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadeout54321 View Post
    You got 2 of the colored ones??
    If you look at the labels in the first photo, the one on top is the splatter and the one on bottom is the black.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Is anyone going to bother writing to their customer service? I'm deeming this a defective product, seriously. I have color vinyl, pic discs, flimsy vinyl - nothing I own sounds as bad as this.

It looks pretty, but that's about all I can say about this. Being that it's so limited, they can't just send a replacement copy. And I don't see what good that would do anyway, if every copy sounds the same.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Looping in @katara @trollmanen

Quote Originally Posted by flashback8 View Post
    The following is a response I got from Danny on a public mailing list where, as an aside to another thread, I basically called the Cold Spring release a cheap cash grab.

---Me (provided solely for context)---
    [Thread regarding getting permission for reprinting Coil lyrics]

Danny Hyde seems to be the only one who bothers responding to e-mail these days, and that's to let you know he can't do anything because he has to "honor the memory" (read: unearth unused Nine Inch Nails remixes and schlep them off to paying fans before having Cold Spring release them...with a bonus track, of course) of Jhon & Peter or whatever.

---Danny---
    In answer to the above, cold spring approached me and I said yes, after all these are the pre studio versions done in my house.They are not COIL ARTIFACTS - per se-- .Trent asked coil, coil asked me, and we made them. They have been put out for NIN fans more than coil fans,I guess.And yes you are 100% correct Trent ( or the writers) should always own the remixes, that is why I said to cold spring from the outset they would have to clear with Trent first. Originally we got a fee, for the remixes, but I can tell you it still irked when our version of Closer ( to which the whole intro was essentially written anew) was used on the movie Seven, with no actual credit on the film to us, and no additional fee for extra use of remix.It is always a double edged sword.And if it seems rude that I now have taken the offer from cold spring, well there is not much I can do there.( but believe me I wont be buying a car-or even a motorbike) In answer to my comments to email inquir
    ies on coil related stuff, all I can say here is my hands are tied, you would not believe the politics still involved .I Know Pete would have had no problem with this because he understood the history of these particular tunes.A far cry from coil related material, as that is held close, out of respect for what were real friends at the end of the day.Hope that clears up some of the history. Life is very tough at the moment, and I needed the cash-sorryBest Danny
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    So, let's lay it out in a single post:

Trent heard Uncoiled before any of you did, and he seemed pretty excited at the idea.

Danny did not ask for money for the mixes. That was purely my idea, and I put several hundred of my own dollars in to kick things off. 49 other ETSers volunteered their own money too, in a large variety of quantities. It was a pretty big leap of faith, and I think it worked out.

Cold Spring approached Danny. Before that, I was, in my spare time, looking at options for doing a short-run digipak CD version. When I mentioned this to Danny, he approached a friend of his to remaster the audio, on his own. During this time, he came across another Eraser remix. He really had no reason to hold that back before, considering all that he sent to me.

Cold Spring are not a bootleg label, and they understand the complicated process involved in acquiring rights - which is good because Danny asked them to take care of that.

When Danny was approached by Cold Spring about what would become Recoiled, they asked to get in touch with the people who put together Uncoiled, and he CC'd us into the email conversation.

Guys, if they fucking asked MAD and me for permission to use the photography we put out on our bootleg, do you really think they didn't ask Trent about using the fucking music?
    These are from a couple pages back. Hope it helps.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    care to share the mailing list? Sounds good. I'm always on the lookout for interesting new mailing lists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yikes. Are there any happy customers out there? I'm still waiting for my copies even though my girl got hers last week..

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Cool to know, I hadn't read through a lot of the stuff in the middle of this thread. It is odd that they don't mention TR in the credits at all, especially if he signed off on it.

To the point about black vs colored vinyl. I know a lot of people say black sounds better, and I'm not going to argue that. But having multiple versions of the entire catalog of the Death Waltz soundtrack reissues which are in all manner of colors (splatter, split, haze, etc), plus tons of other colored vinyl, I haven't come across anything sounding this bad. A little noise isn't uncommon with the weird colors and combos, but this is way more than a little surface noise. I may end up emailing them, not sure what they'll do about it, but who knows.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post

To the point about black vs colored vinyl. I know a lot of people say black sounds better, and I'm not going to argue that. But having multiple versions of the entire catalog of the Death Waltz soundtrack reissues which are in all manner of colors (splatter, split, haze, etc), plus tons of other colored vinyl, I haven't come across anything sounding this bad. A little noise isn't uncommon with the weird colors and combos, but this is way more than a little surface noise. I may end up emailing them, not sure what they'll do about it, but who knows.
    Coloured vs black shouldn't have a big difference, splatter can sometimes even be a bit heavier, it's picture disc that fucks with the sound.

(also, fuck yeah, Death Waltz)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Copies from Cold Spring finally arrived yesterday. Pretty damn happy with them all!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Wahoo! Just got my CD in the mail! I deleted my download version when I first ordered the CD on amazon ages ago -- can anyone catch me up re: the Gave Up mixes not being on the CD? Or if there's a way to still access them? Not that it's a huge deal, seems like all the essentials (and more!) were kept for the CD version. Very excited to listen riiiiiiight... NOW.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    Wahoo! Just got my CD in the mail! I deleted my download version when I first ordered the CD on amazon ages ago -- can anyone catch me up re: the Gave Up mixes not being on the CD? Or if there's a way to still access them? Not that it's a huge deal, seems like all the essentials (and more!) were kept for the CD version. Very excited to listen riiiiiiight... NOW.
    http://www.ninwiki.com/Recoiled

Recoiled

Recoiled

Digital artwork

Recoiled is a semi-official remix EP credited to Coil and Nine Inch Nails. It is the commercial and physical release of selected tracks from the Uncoiled download-only remix compilation. It was released on February 24, 2014 on Cold Spring Records and it was made available on CD, vinyl, limited edition vinyl and digital formats.
    The tracks are outtakes from the remix sessions for Fixed, Closer To God and Further Down The Spiral. They were created by members of Coil, along with Danny Hyde. Recoiled omits the tracks from Uncoiled that could be viewed as redundant and also adds an extra remix that was not included on Uncoiled.

Uncoiled

Uncoiled

Uncoiled is an unofficial download-only remix compilation made up of outtakes from the remix sessions for Fixed, Closer To God and Further Down The Spiral. They were created by members of Coil, along with Danny Hyde. A selection of these tracks was later semi-officially released as Recoiled.
    Rumors of the outtakes had been circulating since 1995 and their existence was confirmed by Hyde in 2012. Funds were then raised by members of the Echoing The Sound forum to acquire the tracks from Hyde and the collection was put up for free download in November 2012.
    Track Listing

1. "Gave Up" (Open My Eyes) - 5:28
    2. "Closer" (Unrecalled) - 7:41
    3. "The Downward Spiral" (A Gilded Sickness) - 7:59
    4. "Eraser" (Reduction) - 8:45
    5. "Gave Up" (Flim Mix) - 3:45
    6. "Gave Up" (Coldcutter) - 1:29
    7. "Gave Up" (In Your Face) - 1:38
    8. "Gave Up" (Full Mix) - 1:50
    9. "Gave Up" (Full Mix+) - 2:07
    10. "Gave Up" (More Perc) - 1:43
    11. "Gave Up" (More Perc No Bass) - 1:42

• Those who donated to the project were also treated to the following bonus tracks: a demo version of "Closer" with commentary by Hyde and two other Hyde commentaries, one on remixing "Gave Up" and one on the project in general.

• The original, wide distribution download of Uncoiled has a mistakenly sped-up version of track 1. This was corrected for the donor download and Recoiled.