Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Coil vs Nine Inch Nails: Uncoiled/Recoiled

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    in case anyone doesn't have a copy yet, SRC has a pretty incredible sale on this right now for $12.99

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD View Post
    I think there are some insufferable Coil fans out there.

As far as I am aware, Cold Spring did get permission from Trent Reznor. I know that I sent the contents of the CD to Trent before anyone else heard them, and I know that he spoke to The Quietus about the release, and had nothing negative to say about it. I believe Danny said as much in a post in the Coil Facebook group, but even without that, I have to think that if Cold Spring went so far as to request formal permission from you and I to basically do a variation on the packaging I designed with your photography, surely, surely they would ask Trent Reznor if it was okay to use his music.

I feel as though the arguments amongst the friends and acquaintances of the deceased members of Coil over who has control over what has left the fans out in the cold. I think the material was very well served as a download we assembled, but was beyond pleased to see our work evolve into something tangible.

I appreciate that, for as dramatic as NIN fans get, they do not come anywhere close to the drama Coil fans drum up.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I think the material was very well served as a download we assembled, but was beyond pleased to see our work evolve into something tangible.
    I was recently in a record store and saw CD and Vinyl copies of this album. It brought a smile to my face to know I had a (very) small part in this release seeing the light of day.

Thanks again for all your work in getting this out there.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    This is absolutely fantastic. I had a chance to interview him a few years ago and it was a fascinating chat.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    There's a fair amount of solo instruments there (and even a few vocals). Remixers, take note!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just wondering if anyone has any info on the Uncoiled: The Physical Component that the ninhotline was offering before Covid? I would love to get one of those bad boys.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snichols View Post
    I've been checking that page for a few months now. It says in an "Update" section to check back in April to order more.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I'll do another update soon, effectively saying I have paused shipment of these things. The postal service was screwy enough back in April, it is totally fucked right now and I do not want to deal with that with the general public, even with a disclaimer. @z0ne_tripper I'll send you a PM momentarily

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I definitely don't know how I missed those cds

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barkhammer View Post
    wow what the fuck is that CD-R art o.O

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    wow what the fuck is that CD-R art o.O
    It certainly is "special"...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I emailed Danny about this. It seems that the final copy (letter A) is still unsold. All the others sold for somewhere between £100-£200 each ($130-$260 US).

Since this is the last one, anyone who asks about it is told to make an offer. However, he's considering just picking a price and throwing it up on the website.

Anyone who wants this thing, either keep your eyes peeled or simply just email him with an offer.

It'd be pretty cool if someone in this community was able to get hold of it and share it around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Dan is infamous when it comes to artworks ��

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I emailed Danny about this. It seems that the final copy (letter A) is still unsold. All the others sold for somewhere between £100-£200 each ($130-$260 US).

Since this is the last one, anyone who asks about it is told to make an offer. However, he's considering just picking a price and throwing it up on the website.

Anyone who wants this thing, either keep your eyes peeled or simply just email him with an offer.

It'd be pretty cool if someone in this community was able to get hold of it and share it around.
    He specifically asked the purchasers to keep it to themselves. Anyone that shares it is not really doing the right thing in this particular instance.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    THESE MIXES ARE BASED ON RECOILED BUT TOTALLY UNIQUE AND UNHEARD BY ANYONE ELSE ALIVE

JUST LIKE THE NEXT BATCH l WILL WHIP UP NEXT YEAR

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post
    He specifically asked the purchasers to keep it to themselves. Anyone that shares it is not really doing the right thing in this particular instance.
    Doing the right thing by whom? Danny Hyde? Why should art be allowed to die just because the "proper" people got paid? Does this strike you as morally dubious?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Actually, this is not quite true.

Here's a photo of the message that came with the purchase:

Last edited by katara; 08-18-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Interesting.. when I bought mine in Sept 2018, he did not include a letter like that. I had an email exchange with him and since he was selling these as a way to help fund his travelling to Thailand to be able to visit his son, he asked that they not be shared. I'm assuming (inferring?) that this was because if it were shared out, then people would be less likely to buy the remaining ones.

In my back and forth with him, he also said he was holding on to copy A and Z (at least for the time being) so I had to pick a letter other than that. I went with G.

Actually, this is not quite true.

Here's a photo of the message that came with the purchase:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Considering he was doing this as a way to fund seeing his kid in Thailand, I figured it'd be nice to hold to my end of the purchase agreement. Based on the letter that went out with the last one (vs my email exchange with him in 2018), it sounds like he's open to it getting into the wild.

I've liberated my fair share of stuff to the community that I've personally ponied up for, but this was one thing that felt out of bounds. I don't agree that it was morally dubious.. though I don't exactly know Danny to know if he was just blowing smoke or not. At any rate.. once the final disc is out there, then his project has probably served it's purpose and I wouldn't feel weird about sharing it. I have it ripped and ready...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Doing the right thing by whom? Danny Hyde? Why should art be allowed to die just because the "proper" people got paid? Does this strike you as morally dubious?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Considering he was doing this as a way to fund seeing his kid in Thailand, I figured it'd be nice to hold to my end of the purchase agreement. Based on the letter that went out with the last one (vs my email exchange with him in 2018), it sounds like he's open to it getting into the wild.

I've liberated my fair share of stuff to the community that I've personally ponied up for, but this was one thing that felt out of bounds. I don't agree that it was morally dubious.. though I don't exactly know Danny to know if he was just blowing smoke or not. At any rate.. once the final disc is out there, then his project has probably served it's purpose and I wouldn't feel weird about sharing it. I have it ripped and ready...
    How different are the mixes? I've been curious about this for a long time.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadeout54321 View Post
    How different are the mixes? I've been curious about this for a long time.
    I have to be honest. I listened to it once when I first got it and .. I don't remember. I'll have to give it a listen on my drive over the next few days.

I also haven't listened to Recoiled/Uncoiled enough to really "know" how different they'll be from those mixes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I had totally forgotten about these "unheard" remixes until I was checking the ninwiki for something unrelated.

A quick google led me to this page.....

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barkhammer View Post
    I had totally forgotten about these "unheard" remixes until I was checking the ninwiki for something unrelated.

A quick google led me to this page.....
    Are those the tracks that @kargath has ripped to share? So they’re out there?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    I don't know if it was kagrath that uploaded those to the Internet Archive, but yes, those are the tracks from that CDr run, and it's been pointed out previously that they're available there.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I've always hated the slowed down vocals. Sounds like he's recovering from brain surgery. Some really cool explorations otherwise.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Are those the tracks that @kargath has ripped to share? So they’re out there?
    I didn't post them to the Internet archive, but after all the discs were sold I may or may not have shared since he made all the money he wanted from the project at that point. I have no idea if someone else also ripped it and it's a coincidence...

This might be the first time someone's remembered me for something on here. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk