Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Coil vs Nine Inch Nails: Uncoiled/Recoiled

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i know there was no fire, but i just ordered the black vinyl copy with little hassle. boy, is it a drag to pay nearly $40 for a single LP, but hey.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Finally! Snagged a color LP and the CD. Will get the black one from a U.S. distro

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Just put in my order for all 3. Had no problems with the site

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    all right guys, I need a favor. the site, much like Gary Numan's and like many other UK sites, will not process my bank card. I am getting the CD. I am willing to paypal someone the 33.70 I was going to pay for the release plus registered shipping if you can order it for me and have it shipped to me. this is soooooooo frustrating. the UK does not want my money, apparently.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    all right guys, I need a favor. the site, much like Gary Numan's and like many other UK sites, will not process my bank card. I am getting the CD. I am willing to paypal someone the 33.70 I was going to pay for the release plus registered shipping if you can order it for me and have it shipped to me. this is soooooooo frustrating. the UK does not want my money, apparently.
    You can order from Amazon -- if there's something else you need, you'll get free shipping

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    They take paypal on the coldsping site, thats how I paid

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Anyone know which mixes off of the leak from last year are included? Most of them were just slight variations on "Gave Up" so I'm not too upset that this is an abridged version, but I'm curious what they actually went with.

To anyone waiting to order due to the site lag, I just did it with no problems. It took about a minute and a half to process my credit card, but everything went smoothly.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Surprised so many people are ordering from Cold Spring considering this is an unauthorized release and TR get 0 percent of the proceeds. Its basically a bootleg

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    Surprised so many people are ordering from Cold Spring considering this is an unauthorized release and TR get 0 percent of the proceeds. Its basically a bootleg
    You've researched this? I've been curious where this lies in that regard. The first thing I'll be doing when my copy arrives is reading the credits.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Do you know what the Harry Fox Agency is?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Vens View Post
    ...so i tried to imagine what Uncoiled would have looked like if it had been officially released in physical format ....??
    i know that i must be a fan among many who have thought of this idea at some point; giving this release is truly a must have for any Nine Inch Nails collection.

so ...what would Uncoiled have looked like if, say, it was released in slimline jewelcase format??

well! let's see shall we:

...i'm thinking of taking this idea literal and making it real (at least for my own collection anyway). i'll post more pics of the actual physical result after completion.
    in the meantime; comments are welcome...

...per some of your requests, here is a slimline maxi jewelcase concept of what Uncoiled Extended could look like in physical form:

(don't know! i might forgo making this one a reality instead...)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Did anyone else get a random email from Cold Spring that said their order was cancelled due to their payment processing company rejecting it? This is so not worth the trouble, I'm just going to download the FLAC files once they leak. This label needs to find a better credit card processing company.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    just ordered a ltd color vinyl, can't afford more than that right now after buying tickets for the knife (though i'd like the black vinyl & the cd as well).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    You've researched this? I've been curious where this lies in that regard. The first thing I'll be doing when my copy arrives is reading the credits.
    I've been curious about this, are Cold Springs actually permitted to release this without TR or Interscope's permission? I know Coil remixed the tracks, but surely the original songs still belong to the label.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    I've been curious about this, are Cold Springs actually permitted to release this without TR or Interscope's permission? I know Coil remixed the tracks, but surely the original songs still belong to the label.
    I'm pretty sure Leviathant made sure everything was ok before even approaching having this physically made and sold, especially since he mentioned Harry Fox Agency in his last comment, which one could assume mean this has been properly licensed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Regarding Things Falling Apart. I am pretty sure I have the majority opinion that the track listing was....LACKING....3 remixes of one song, out of 10 tracks...Remixes like 'complications of the flesh' or day the world went away 'quiet' were nowhere to be found on there, relegated to B side status from singles. Things Falling Apart seemed like one of the most half baked releases TR has ever put out. He could have done so much more with that album, like he did with Fixed and Further Down The Spiral....
    late response to the whipping boy, i know, but i just wanted to say that i was fine with what got released (also would have been fine with expanding the remix album to include the b-sides and the nin.com remixes, but it's not like we didn't get them) and wished that they had went ahead and put out the more fragile ep back then. maybe one day the fragile deluxe edition...?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I'm surprised the coloured vinyl hasn't sold out yet. 500 copies only. Surely we'd have snapped em all up by now?!

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Cold Spring mentioned a couple of hours ago on FB that the sale reached the last copies...

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Grabbed all three variants just now as this seems like a nifty little release!

Thank you for your interest in COLD SPRING RECORDS products. Your order has been received and will be processed once payment has been confirmed.

Product Model Quantity Price Total
    COIL / NINE INCH NAILS - 'Recoiled' LTD COLOUR LP (Cold Spring CSR193LP) Industrial / Experimenta 1 £19.00 £19.00
    COIL / NINE INCH NAILS - 'Recoiled' Black LP (Cold Spring CSR193LP) Industrial / Experimenta 1 £16.00 £16.00
    COIL / NINE INCH NAILS - 'Recoiled' CD (Cold Spring CSR193CD) Industrial / Experimenta 1 £11.00 £11.00

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Just scored the colored vinyl.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Well they accepted my PayPal for the coloured limited edition.... so... they must have still had some? Seems odd that they'd keep selling them if they didn't.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Phimester View Post
    Well they accepted my PayPal for the coloured limited edition.... so... they must have still had some? Seems odd that they'd keep selling them if they didn't.
    Yeah, this is all a bit suspicious given that their website was apparently crippled by the demand a couple of days ago, yet the "Ltd x 500 copies" coloured vinyl is still being sold.

Surely if there was that much demand, 500 copies would have sold out in a matter of minutes?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    this is what happens when you deal with companies selling bootleg/pirated shit....I wouldnt be surprised if TR called in the dogs on them

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    this is what happens when you deal with companies selling bootleg/pirated shit....I wouldnt be surprised if TR called in the dogs on them
    Do you have any idea who Cold Spring are? Why am I even replying to you?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    They're a label that has never released a NIN album before, and has no contract with Trent..Its no different than when some "label" reissued Purest Feeling on cd back in the day
    Last edited by billpulsipher; 01-21-2014 at 02:36 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Well, still a day later and no email telling me my order cannot be filled.... so I guess they had..... a special edition for me. Who knows.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ...so i had several requests for this after creating the Uncoiled slimline jewel case/disc artwork mockup.
    here you go; spread the word and enjoy!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    The following is a response I got from Danny on a public mailing list where, as an aside to another thread, I basically called the Cold Spring release a cheap cash grab.

---Me (provided solely for context)---
    [Thread regarding getting permission for reprinting Coil lyrics]

Danny Hyde seems to be the only one who bothers responding to e-mail these days, and that's to let you know he can't do anything because he has to "honor the memory" (read: unearth unused Nine Inch Nails remixes and schlep them off to paying fans before having Cold Spring release them...with a bonus track, of course) of Jhon & Peter or whatever.

---Danny---
    In answer to the above, cold spring approached me and I said yes, after all these are the pre studio versions done in my house.They are not COIL ARTIFACTS - per se-- .Trent asked coil, coil asked me, and we made them. They have been put out for NIN fans more than coil fans,I guess.And yes you are 100% correct Trent ( or the writers) should always own the remixes, that is why I said to cold spring from the outset they would have to clear with Trent first. Originally we got a fee, for the remixes, but I can tell you it still irked when our version of Closer ( to which the whole intro was essentially written anew) was used on the movie Seven, with no actual credit on the film to us, and no additional fee for extra use of remix.It is always a double edged sword.And if it seems rude that I now have taken the offer from cold spring, well there is not much I can do there.( but believe me I wont be buying a car-or even a motorbike) In answer to my comments to email inquir
    ies on coil related stuff, all I can say here is my hands are tied, you would not believe the politics still involved .I Know Pete would have had no problem with this because he understood the history of these particular tunes.A far cry from coil related material, as that is held close, out of respect for what were real friends at the end of the day.Hope that clears up some of the history. Life is very tough at the moment, and I needed the cash-sorryBest Danny

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    So, let's lay it out in a single post:

Trent heard Uncoiled before any of you did, and he seemed pretty excited at the idea.

Danny did not ask for money for the mixes. That was purely my idea, and I put several hundred of my own dollars in to kick things off. 49 other ETSers volunteered their own money too, in a large variety of quantities. It was a pretty big leap of faith, and I think it worked out.

Cold Spring approached Danny. Before that, I was, in my spare time, looking at options for doing a short-run digipak CD version. When I mentioned this to Danny, he approached a friend of his to remaster the audio, on his own. During this time, he came across another Eraser remix. He really had no reason to hold that back before, considering all that he sent to me.

Cold Spring are not a bootleg label, and they understand the complicated process involved in acquiring rights - which is good because Danny asked them to take care of that.

When Danny was approached by Cold Spring about what would become Recoiled, they asked to get in touch with the people who put together Uncoiled, and he CC'd us into the email conversation.

Guys, if they fucking asked MAD and me for permission to use the photography we put out on our bootleg, do you really think they didn't ask Trent about using the fucking music?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just received an email from Amazon regarding my preorder, looks like the release date has been pushed back to February 24.