Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Episode VII

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Star Wars Episode VII

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8LU5CM20121030

Disney said there would be a new series of "Star Wars" feature films as part of the deal, with the first movie expected in 2015. Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger, in prepared remarks for analysts, said the plan was to release a new movie in the series every two to three years thereafter.

YOU GUYS!

So I'm guessing this is going to be more like Disney funding the projects like Avengers and Pixar films?
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 10-30-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I hope Lucas' role is symbolic - the prequels were awful (except for some moments) with terrible scripts and he engaged in lots of fuckery of the originals, so much so I'm still undecided as to whether get the Blu-ray of all of them or not

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    "Lucas will be creative consultant on new "Star Wars" films.Lucas said in a statement, "It's now time for me to pass 'Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers."

Well thank god.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    No more Star Wars films please.Just no.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I hope Lucas' role is symbolic - the prequels were awful (except for some moments) with terrible scripts and he engaged in lots of fuckery of the originals, so much so I'm still undecided as to whether get the Blu-ray of all of them or not
    I loved the prequels (well, okay, loved one scene in Phantom Menace, enjoyed Clones and loved Sith), but am still not keen on there being any more. What more is there to be said? It smacks of a film project motivated solely by financial intent rather than creative, or through passion.
    If they'd buy up LucasArts and start churning out more of their bitching adventure games, RPGs and Jedi Knights, I'd be all on board. There's plenty to explore with gaming as the medium.

...Going back to the prequels though, I will admit I think they could have been enormously improved with another writer and director.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I loved the prequels
    The fuck is wrong with you.

If they'd buy up LucasArts and start churning out more of their bitching adventure games, RPGs and Jedi Knights, I'd be all on board. There's plenty to explore with gaming as the medium.
    They did. Lucasarts is a subsidiary of Lucasfilm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I just think there's too many possibilities and too extensive a universe to at least not be open to completely new stories and characters, especially if they are going to go the Marvel route and release quality work (which very well might be the case). It could be so awesome! Especially now that special effects are insanely better than in 2005.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I loved the prequels (well, okay, loved one scene in Phantom Menace, enjoyed Clones and loved Sith), but am still not keen on there being any more. What more is there to be said? It smacks of a film project motivated solely by financial intent rather than creative, or through passion.

...Going back to the prequels though, I will admit I think they could have been enormously improved with another writer and director.
    I love some scenes in the prequels, I loved Phantom Menace when I first saw it and thought Darth Maul was great but completely underused. The lightsabre fights were brilliantly choreographed - Clones was just completely boring though and then it was lifted by Sith, which was the best of the three. My problem with them was the scripts mainly (i actually thought McGregor was good as Obi-Wan) - the thing is I thought they were trying much too hard to bring 'emotions' into it and failing, because practically every bit of dialogue between Anakin and Amidala was unbelievable and cringe-inducing. They tried to cram too much plot into it, so I was completely bored by the whole Trade Federation machinations.

The original films had very simple plots - a fight between good and evil, Western in space - and were much the better for it, with characters you could actually care about.

And I know real life is complicated, with issues that are not black and white - I just don't think Star Wars is an appropriate place to comment on that!
    Last edited by WorzelG; 10-30-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    "I hate merchandising" says Indiana Jones, while he's slowly lowered in to a pit of Buzz Lightyear action figures.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    What with the sometimes outstanding novels coming out of the Expanded Universe, there's SO much source material they could pull from. Look at the Thrawn trilogy, fantastic series! Watch Lucas throw as many wrenches as he can into the process, though...

Also, my cousin's 6-year-old son while they were watching "...Jedi": "Why don't they just shoot the ewoks?"
    Why not indeed, kid... why not indeed...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I love SW as much as the next fanatic but stop cashing in on the Star Wars franchise and try something new. Jeez.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Uhh, I think that's what they're trying to do. Along with Indiana Jones, etc. Basically to save both franchises from the mega shitstorm of putrid filth that were 'Episodes I-III' and 'Indiana Jones: Kingdom of The Shitty Idea Aww Fuck It Aliens...Aliens ok?'

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Uhh, I think that's what they're trying to do. Along with Indiana Jones, etc. Basically to save both franchises from the mega shitstorm of putrid filth that were 'Episodes I-III' and 'Indiana Jones: Kingdom of The Shitty Idea Aww Fuck It Aliens...Aliens ok?'
    I mean entirely. Lucas has done nothing but live off the Star Wars fame in filmmaking since 1977 for the most part. Try a new story with an entirely different angle that isn't part of Indiana Jones or Star Wars.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    At this point though, why bother? They could make the next one just 2 hours of them in jedi robes taking shits on a table and it'd make a billion. People can't see the bigger picture I think. It's already oversaturated...already been driven in the dirt...there's no going back for either of the main franchises...might as well keep pumping out more and making more $$$.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Didn't Lucas direct American Grafitti which was applauded for dialogue etc - when did he lose his ear for it? It's like he shut himself away in Skywalker ranch and lost touch with how people talk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Didn't Lucas direct American Grafitti which was applauded for dialogue etc - when did he lose his ear for it? It's like he shut himself away in Skywalker ranch and lost touch with how people talk
    Like with Star Wars it's just not the same because everyone isn't coked up to the eyeballs.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    American graffitti was about the sort of place he grew up in, around the time he was a youngster. I reckon the dialogue is better because it's observed, whereas with star wars he had to contrive it from the ground up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you like prequels.
    This will tell you why you shouldn't.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    The prequels were okay. Come on you guys, grow up.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well ladies and gents....here it is. The end of the internet. We can shut 'er down now I think...

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

I'm with these guys.

Just because everyone and their dog thinks it's cool to hate the prequels... doesn't mean there isn't something to take away from those films.

On that note, Disney..... wow this is going to be interesting..... I was actually looking forward to Star Wars going down a bit of a darker route instead of a lighter one.. i don't think we'll see them mining the EU for stories featuring characters like the Yuuzhan Vong or anything, that'd seem too dark for them.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 10-30-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    The Prequels weren't bad but they didn't live up to the storylines, character growth or aesthetics of the originals. The time frame they were made didn't make the originals a special case either.

For me:

Jedi > Empire > Revenge > New Hope > Menace > Clones

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Hayden Christensenm, Jake Loyd and Natalie Portman ruin the prequels for me with their shitty acting. Thankfully Natalie Portman has gotten better at acting. The other two can fade into oblivion for all I care.

Also, fuck Jar Jar Binks. That is all.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Hayden Christensenm, Jake Loyd and Natalie Portman ruin the prequels for me with their shitty acting. Thankfully Natalie Portman has gotten better at acting. The other two can fade into oblivion for all I care.

Also, fuck Jar Jar Binks. That is all.
    I always considered Jar Jar Binks an attempt by Lucas to make him the Chewbacca type character from the Prequels. Obviously it didn't happen.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'd say it was to add comic relief a la C-3PO, not Chewie...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I'd say it was to add comic relief a la C-3PO, not Chewie...
    I say Chewbacca since he's an organic species and not a Droid. I get your angle.

Either way: Failed.

I have noticed through the years he's the most hated by fans.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I say Chewbacca since he's an organic species and not a Droid. I get your angle.

Either way: Failed.

I have noticed through the years he's the most hated by fans.
    3PO or Binks? I cannot imagine a world with a hatred of 3PO.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'll believe it when I see it ^

Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    3PO or Binks? I cannot imagine a world with a hatred of 3PO.
    Jar Jar Binks