Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Coil

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    State51 got back to me. They said "There's been a slight delay with the release date. Hold tight and keep checking up on the Threshold House site for updates." So, F5 it is.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    So, ever since those unreleased Coil remixes were released (all praise to Levi), I've made an effort to make my way through Coil's enitre discography and review each one, one a week, until I'm through.

If you're interested, take a look.

A Thousand Lights In A Darkened Room

Horse Rotorvator

Scatology

The Remote Viewer

The Unreleased Themes For Hellraiser

Time Machines

Moon's Milk (In Four Phases)

Love's Secret Domain

Astral Disaster

Musick to Play in the Dark, Vol. 1

Queens of the Circulating Library

Musick to Play in the Dark, Vol. 2

Constant Shallowness Leads To Evil

Black Antlers

The Restitution of Decayed Intelligence

Worship The Glitch

The EPs of Coil

ANS

The Ape of Naples

The New Backwards

Moon's Milk In Final Phase

The Coil Review Project - Wrap Up - new

Thanks to everyone who suffered and grew with me.
    Especially the handful of hardcore Russians that kept pace.

Also, if you like Nine Inch Nails, you should be into Coil, at least somewhat, it's god damn fascinating.

Thanks again.

paul_guyet
    Last edited by paul_guyet; 04-05-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    You may have missed something in your scatology review. The metal clanking noises in the background of Solar Lodge remind me of the same thing in Mr. Self Destruct. NIN may very well have sampled that song. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    also, not to be nitpicky, but Scatology originally came out in 1984.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I'm listening to "First Dark Ride" from the compilation "Unnatural History III" (where Coil used the name "Coil Vs. The Eskaton" (info). This track has a lot of similar sounds to The Downward Spiral (The Bottom). It was released on the same year as TDS, so they either used the same instruments or, well, sampled themselves.

For example, 1:44 and 6:37.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I think if Reznor had ever actually sampled directly from Coil that it would be documented, but I completely agree that a lot of his stuff sounds like them and vice versa on later Coil.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The guitar sound in many places on broken reminds me of "penetralia", i would be absolutely amazed if that wasn't the sound he was going for

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    I think if Reznor had ever actually sampled directly from Coil that it would be documented, but I completely agree that a lot of his stuff sounds like them and vice versa on later Coil.
    I wasn't talking about Reznor himself sampling them. I was referring to "The Downward Spiral (The Bottom)", the Coil remix. I apologize for any confusion!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I wasn't talking about Reznor himself sampling them. I was referring to "The Downward Spiral (The Bottom)", the Coil remix. I apologize for any confusion!
    I was referring to Senateguard's comment, but I completely see what you're saying.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Coil

Looks like all the vinyl for moons milk in final phase are gone

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    finally, some news.

TM2 will be (finally) manifesting soon. Within months…
    All the remaining members of Coil and the executors of Jhonn and Peter’s estates are currently in discussion about how Coil things will progress. News will be posted here first.
    Happy Lunar New Year.
    T.H.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Does anyone out there have the "Live In New York" (pretty much official) release? The VHS/DVD-R contains a soundcheck, and I'm interested as to what was played.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Does anyone out there have the "Live In New York" (pretty much official) release? The VHS/DVD-R contains a soundcheck, and I'm interested as to what was played.
    i don't know about the soundcheck part, but i'm pretty sure the concert was included in the Colour Sound Oblivion box set (which i own).

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It is a dismal reflection on this reality that "the anal staircase" was never performed for a baying arena full of people

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I used to have it. It wasn't anything that wasn't played during the performance, as the shows they did around that time were the same setlist (Moscow being the other documented show). There was some backstage footage which wasn't very long and not that interesting I remember.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    So, ever since those unreleased Coil remixes were released (all praise to Levi), I've made an effort to make my way through Coil's enitre discography and review each one, one a week, until I'm through.
    For some reason I missed this first time. Bookmarked. Thanks!

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    "There's been a slight delay with the release date. Hold tight and keep checking up on the Threshold House site for updates."
    Understatement of the year.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Coil

Just finished @paul_guyet 's coil reviews. A great read, thanks! I'd like to follow you on the same journey. If I may briefly break to moan how hard it would be to legally acquire the whole coil back catalogue? No doubt some collectors editions will surface in the years to come but for the rest of us, put them on amazon mp3 already!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Just finished @paul_guyet 's coil reviews. A great read, thanks! I'd like to follow you on the same journey. If I may briefly break to moan how hard it would be to legally acquire the whole coil back catalogue? No doubt some collectors editions will surface in the years to come but for the rest of us, put them on amazon mp3 already!
    before his death, peter was working on a way to put the entire coil discography on one "device" of some kind, be it an extremely large flash drive or a box set with a series of high-quality audio on DVDs or something along those lines. i know Time Machine 2 is the next thing happening (eventually...), but hopefully, after that, they'll go back to getting the discography out.

and actually, for a while, you could buy MOST of their albums and EPs in high-quality digital format from the threshold house store...a few of them are still up there.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    before his death, peter was working on a way to put the entire coil discography on one "device" of some kind, be it an extremely large flash drive or a box set with a series of high-quality audio on DVDs or something along those lines.
    I had read (either on Brainwashed or Threshold House) that Blu-ray was a possibility. I think the Blu-ray/DVD route or some sort of specialized external HDD would be the cheapest way to go. Those flash drive prices start to get rather exorbitant.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i would gladly pay a large sum of money for the entire, unabridged COIL discography in high-quality audio on a blu-ray (or two).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Same here. I had a good portion of their discography until 2007 when my CD case was stolen and then my ancient EMachines computer crashed and burned.
    Last edited by Stateira; 07-21-2013 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    the threshold house site is down. i'm worried.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'll be honest; I downloaded a massive goddamned torrent from Pirate Bay in order to do the review project, but, since then, I have acquired The Remote Viewer on CD as well as Live 3, Time Machines and ANS, plus How To Destroy Angels and Horse Rotorvator on vinyl. If I had...oh, roughly $50,000 I could, potentially, finish my collection of Coil's complete discography in as long as it would take to make some absurdly bad choices on various record houses.
    I'd buy that Blu Ray in a heartbeat though...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    the threshold house site is still down, not sure what that means for the (supposedly) impending release of Time Machines 2.

currently watching disc 10 of colour, sound, oblivion (live at mutek, 2003), and it's interesting to see just peter & thighpaulsandra. as much as i love john & his insane stage presence, it's kind of nice to just have some instrumental music to focus on.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I've got all the major releases on CD as I started buying them around 2000 so the prices weren't too bad, though at the time it wasn't cheap. I remember paying around $30 for MTPITD at my local shop on import. At the time, I wasn't really into vinyl (aside from collecting the NIN stuff), but I got MTPITD v2 for probably $75. More recently, I've been coming across Coil vinyl in local shops for decent prices. I picked up original pressings of Scatology and Gold is the Metal, some of the Wax Trax singles. The only things I ever sold of my Coil collection was the Russian best of CD's and the NYC Official VHS and CD (kicking myself a little on that one). I don't think I'll ever sell this stuff, even at todays prices.

There's a Coil group on Facebook where people mostly post video links and such. There was some discussion a month or so with Jon Whitney from Brainwashed where he had some letters that Sleazy had written him. The gist of it was that Peter had given him permission to oversee the release of the Coil catalog on CD (and later vinyl) in deluxe editions of 3 or 4 CD's. Think Love's Secret Domain, Stolen and Contaminated Songs, The Snow and Windowpane in one release, basically each era per release. Peter had sent him a lot of files to go through. Some fans were arguing over whether or not it was legal, but it seemed that Peter was on board with this idea before his death and was planning on working with Jon and Brainwashed to release the back catalog. Jon is planning on going ahead with that (at least at the time of that discussion a few months ago). Personally I think it's a good thing. There seems to be a lot of vinyl bootlegs popping up recently, so there is demand. As long as he's being proper with the money going to the right people who are now the rights holders, I think it would be a good thing to have the Coil catalog available again. I'd buy the releases again even though I own most of the stuff already.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    when i went to get the next disc out of my CSO box set, i realized that i couldn't find disc 2. not really sure what the fuck happened, but i definitely need to find it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I recently sat down with Danny Hyde and talked about his work with Coil and Nine Inch Nails plus some of his upcoming projects.

Awesome guy.

Enjoy.

digressive_obscenity - episode_14 - danny_hyde

Last edited by paul_guyet; 09-02-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    most of the Threshold House site seems to have been down for at least the past month, so that's cool

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    most of the Threshold House site seems to have been down for at least the past month, so that's cool
    yeah, i posted about it the day it went down. the greedbag threshold house site is still working, though i don't know who's actually handling any orders.

i'd say check brainwashed for any news, for the time being.