Thread: Coil

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Coil

Cant be many people on here who have not heard OF Coil. With them being one of the biggest influences on Trent, being on Nothing, and with How To Destroy Angels being named after a track by them.
    Have been listening to them for years, however its only now im realising how ahead of their time they truly were. Their music keeps getting better to my ears and im able to appreciate their more challenging stuff more now too. I can now see how influential they were, not just on NIN ( the downward spiral in particular) but many other artists in the electronic music world owe them big time, Aphex Twin, Autechre, Boards of Canada have all been vocal about Coil's awesomeness too.
    Horse Rotorvator sounds unlike anything else coming out in the mid 1980s. They could create sounds which would freak you out in a way no metal band ever could. Sounds which would bend your head backwards. They could make you feel like you were going into a psychosis listening to them. Its really interesting, try and listen to some of their records in a pitch black room. I bet you will have trouble.
    They were fearless in the way they presented their art too. Some of the stunts they were pulling back then with Derek Jarman and with Scatology etc were highly controversial. But yeah RIP Sleazy and mr balance they have a huge back catalogue and listening to their records and getting sucked into that world they create is consuming me loads at the moment!!
    Last edited by Highly Psychological; 02-18-2012 at 01:21 AM.