Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Coil

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Oh one other thing, so my copy is definitely the source of the Love's Secret Demise mp3 that was floating around the net, but no one will cop to uploading it, Frankie says he didn't do it. So that part's a mystery.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Red TM sold out now too. Haven't found a UK seller.

EDIT: does anyone have this episode of Freak Zone w/ Cosey Fanni Tutti downloaded? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08s2qx2

I could trade you the two Coil ones (Stuart_Maconies_Freak_Zone_-_Coil_b06nw9pl Stuart_Maconies_Freakier_Zone_-_John_Doran_uncoils_Coil_b06phdz9)
    Last edited by jmtd; 09-13-2017 at 07:47 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    more new stuff up for pre-order at forced exposure

2xLP (can't tell if it comes with a DVD) and CD/DVD versions of Plastic Spider Thing, which actually includes a few bits of songs from "still" by NIN mixed in with everything. i remember listening to the "album" back in 2007 in the darkroom at columbia college (i was taking a photo class as a student-at-large) and being like "wait, that sounds like NIN!" i was on a big COIL kick at the time so i basically spent all my time in the darkroom listening to them.

http://forcedexposure.com/Catalog/co...RBL.063LP.html

http://forcedexposure.com/Catalog/co...RBL.063CD.html

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    more new stuff up for pre-order at forced exposure

2xLP (can't tell if it comes with a DVD) and CD/DVD versions of Plastic Spider Thing, which actually includes a few bits of songs from "still" by NIN mixed in with everything. i remember listening to the "album" back in 2007 in the darkroom at columbia college (i was taking a photo class as a student-at-large) and being like "wait, that sounds like NIN!" i was on a big COIL kick at the time so i basically spent all my time in the darkroom listening to them.

http://forcedexposure.com/Catalog/co...RBL.063LP.html

http://forcedexposure.com/Catalog/co...RBL.063CD.html
    Err, what? Why are Still bits on it?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I don't recall any bits from Still sampled on it, but who knows. I listened to it once and promptly sold it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Err, what? Why are Still bits on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by vav View Post
    I don't recall any bits from Still sampled on it, but who knows. I listened to it once and promptly sold it.
    from the notes on the discogs listing of the original release -
    Thanks to Jhon Balance & Peter Christopherson with additional inspiration from: The Electric Newspaper / Steinbrüchel / Test Department / Nine Inch Nails.
    and from a review on the same page -
    Toward the end there are remixes of the Nine Inch Nail songs 'Leaving Hope' and 'Adrift and at Peace'.
    i thought i remembered hearing pieces of both of those, and i'm not the only one!

vav, i'm guessing you weren't a big fan of the album?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    from the notes on the discogs listing of the original release -

and from a review on the same page -

i thought i remembered hearing pieces of both of those, and i'm not the only one!

vav, i'm guessing you weren't a big fan of the album?
    No way, not even at slightly. It's gotta be some of the most trite Coil inspired music i've heard, and i've got a few of the tribute cd's :/

I mailordered it back in the day and got one of the ones with a polaroid of the ritual, which was a snap of someone's arm against a bannister. Having seen the A Well Hung Monk video, gunna guess it was Balance's...but either way honestly i think i put it up for sale the day after i got it.

If anyone wants to see the A Well Hung Monk vid PM me and i'll send you the link & password. 18+ and not for the sensitive types, there's a lot of dong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    EDIT: does anyone have this episode of Freak Zone w/ Cosey Fanni Tutti downloaded? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08s2qx2

I could trade you the two Coil ones (Stuart_Maconies_Freak_Zone_-_Coil_b06nw9pl Stuart_Maconies_Freakier_Zone_-_John_Doran_uncoils_Coil_b06phdz9)
    i'm sorry, i don't, but i love this show! i listen every week to this and the freakier zone (now freak zone playlist). good luck!

maybe you can help me understand something. some of the "trails" refer to downloading shows for offline listening in the app. i believe this is for UK residents only (licence fee payers who subsidize us freeloaders from around the globe). i've often wondered if there is a way to snag the file off of your device for personal archiving rather than disappearing after a month. there are shows, including the first time with, i'd definitely keep if i could, but it seems only a few have dedicated rippers, notably gilles peterson and, when it aired, 6 mix, which i also loved.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howisya View Post
    i'm sorry, i don't, but i love this show! i listen every week to this and the freakier zone (now freak zone playlist). good luck!
    Thanks, I found an MP3 copy on a russian website. PM me if you want it (or the other two).

Quote Originally Posted by howisya View Post
    maybe you can help me understand something. some of the "trails" refer to downloading shows for offline listening in the app. i believe this is for UK residents only (licence fee payers who subsidize us freeloaders from around the globe). i've often wondered if there is a way to snag the file off of your device for personal archiving rather than disappearing after a month. there are shows, including the first time with, i'd definitely keep if i could, but it seems only a few have dedicated rippers, notably gilles peterson and, when it aired, 6 mix, which i also loved.
    So I don't know if you can skim downloaded shows from the official BBC iPlayer Apps, but there's an amazing unofficial command-line tool called get_iplayer which makes getting a perfect, permanent copy of TV or radio shows a breeze.

Ive long been thinking of writing a web front end so a group of folks could remote control a get_iplayer recorder and share the results amongst themselves but I never get around to it. By the time I do, it will probably have stopped working (but it has lasted a remarkably long time so far)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Found a local store who will do a pre order for time machines!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

a cold cell in bangkok 12" 45rpm single with screen-printed side B
    hadn't actually heard this remix of the song but it was quite good, and that print looks so cool

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    My Time Machines Vinyl is due on Friday! Assuming the shop I ordered it from have got their shit together.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    My Time Machines Vinyl is due on Friday! Assuming the shop I ordered it from have got their shit together.
    ...nope it/they didn't. The order got placed successfully though, so it might one day turn up.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    My gray vinyl Time Machines reissue arrived yesterday, and inside was a download code with four 16-bit/44khz wavs. I'm still a little bit bummed about having the clear one in my cart and then having to go to a meeting before I could check out, but I'm not that bummed

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I got mine too, ended up with black but better than nothing.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    My gray vinyl Time Machines reissue arrived yesterday, and inside was a download code with four 16-bit/44khz wavs. I'm still a little bit bummed about having the clear one in my cart and then having to go to a meeting before I could check out, but I'm not that bummed
    Hey @Leviathant , noticed any audio difference in the remaster?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    noticed any audio difference in the remaster?

COIL - time machines
    dais records 2017 remaster on grey vinyl
    listening right now and i'm honestly kind of glad i was able to re-sell the original pressing i had gotten earlier this year because this sounds vastly better (and i love the grey color). i think that's due in part to the remastering (the original sounded a bit thin) and in part to the pressing (this seems to have been done with great care). wish i had gotten the clear, though.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Some guy on eBay is selling a PDF scan of a handwritten letter from John Balance of Coil to Klaus, a German journalist for the ridiculous price of 15 euro. The letter contains the origins of Horse Rotorvator, assorted lyrics, and some fun tidbits such as he and Sleazy selling Gen the name Psychic TV for 2300 pounds which was never paid, or that John felt that Laibach didn't have a sense of humor.
    Anyway, i bought one and uploaded it to the Coil facebook group's files so that you don't have to. Happy Thanksgiving.
    Share and enjoy, but don't sell it.

edit: i put it up on archive.org too.
    Last edited by vav; 11-23-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I ended up buying the black vinyl of Time Machines, as clear would have been the only other color that I wanted and it was sold out. Good pressing, probably didn't need it since I've got the original CD, but it's good mood music. Wish more of Coil's albums were getting official reissues.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    I ended up buying the black vinyl of Time Machines, as clear would have been the only other color that I wanted and it was sold out. Good pressing, probably didn't need it since I've got the original CD, but it's good mood music. Wish more of Coil's albums were getting official reissues.
    i mean the remastered audio is worth it, and the music really sits better on vinyl than on CD.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Is there a full version of the memo included with The Side Effects of Life floating around?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Is there a full version of the memo included with The Side Effects of Life floating around?

ive asked him to share it a few times and he refuses.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

COIL - Hidden Hydrology

Hidden Hydrology
    COIL's 'Lost Rivers' Studio Sessions 1995-1996

A free fan-sourced EP release.

"COIL's 'Lost Rivers' sessions occured during their London studio time in the winter season of December 1995-February 1996 (for what ultimately became the "A Thousand Lights In A Darkened Room" album). A track from this specific set of recordings appeared on the vinyl-only pressing of that album and another track featured on a psychedelic magazine compilation album. Around this recording time Jhonn Balance received a fax from David Tibet containing evocative passages from the Crackanthorpe 'Vignettes' journal from 1896..."

This EP is the result of a Live Coil Archive website admin receiving a few unreleased takes and DAT master files as FLACS from a COIL fan, all taken from these Black Light District/COIL sessions.

I originally included the DAT Master of the Black Light District version of "London’s Lost Rivers" as the main purpose of this EP, but I removed it as I now believe it'll be part of the forthcoming commercial release of the "A Thousand Lights In A Darkened Room" album remaster. I did abandon this EP project as soon as I knew the remaster of the album was going to be released, but then thought I'd resurrect it anyway, without that one album track. I am unaware that any of these remaining tracks will be featured in the future remaster of that album.

To round-off the collection it also includes, with kind prior permission, a fantastic interpretation of "Lost Rivers of London" by The Psychogeographical Commission, originally released in 2012.

This "Hidden Hydrology" EP includes the following tracks;

1. Lost Rivers of London - Succour Version [DAT Master]
    2. Untitled Instrumental #6 - 5 takes from the BLD Sessions 1995-1996
    3. London’s Lost Rivers [Take #2 rough vocal track]
    4. Lost Rivers of London [Take #1]
    5. Crackanthorpe; Sunrise - Vignettes reading by Phil Barrington
    6. London’s Lost Rivers [Take #1]
    7. The Lost Rivers of London - cover version by The Psychogeographical Commission

Plus;

* An 18-page 'CD booklet' pdf by Barrington Arts with liner notes of the 'Lost Rivers' studio sessions.
    * Sleeve art .tif file.

Phil Barrington

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I, too, missed the clear vinyl - which went really fucking fast apparently - but I opted for red. I only bought Black Light District though. I appreciate Worship the Glitch for what it is, but I feel like Black Light District is an absolute favorite of mine from the catalog. It seems very, very well suited to being on vinyl. Maybe one day, when I've moved on, someone will discover it in a pile of my things, put it on, and rethink a lot of things after hearing what comes out. It's such a perfect weird record.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    holy shit! Vinyl reissue of my favorite COIL album? How did I miss this?!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    holy shit! Vinyl reissue of my favorite COIL album? How did I miss this?!
    i only found out last night because i got an e-mail from Dais as i'm on their mailing list! so you didn't miss nothin' (except any of the colored variants that are sold out).

really hoping Dais continues reissuing COIL material on vinyl. if they put as much care into these as they did with Time Machines, i'll be very pleased to have them handle the whole catalog.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    New cd release of How To Destroy Angels!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    The link, which you should have included:

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    The link, which you should have included:
    CD & VINYL!?!? i'm so glad i never bought an original. hopefully they don't fuck up this pressing like they did with recoiled.

also kind of weird that cold spring keeps doing some older COIL reissues while DAIS is doing later ones.