Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Coil

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulgaren View Post
    Nah, I've just made an account, and this question being my first is just a coincidence. I don't need that download link anymore, I found that Transparent is available on streaming services.
    if you want a physical copy, the CD and vinyl are both up for pre-order on amazon (i posted links on the previous page)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    This probably sounds shitty, but the impressive size of Coil's back catalogue, on-and-off-again availability, plus instantly kooky aftermarket prices, and other musical pursuits always kind of dissuaded me from getting in there too throughly.

Which sucks because FDTS is and has been funky shit in my life dating back to 1996 or thereabouts.

But I have to confess, everything being up on Archive.org has encouraged me to take the plunge. Do we know the details behind this? Not something I feel comfortable with unless we can now consider the discography, as the bard said, ' guilt-free' downloads.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Totally understandable, @Shadaloo – the discography is, essentially, impenetrable at this point. Discovering Coil is difficult. I think Peter and Jhonn potentially smile at this.

They've never really made something like their FDTS work again. It has to do with the way Peter (primarily) would create material; how a given Coil track would go was entirely dependent on the source material he was using. He never really used material like the TDS multitracks. I would recommend The New Backwards and/or Backwards (2015) for something similar to Closer (Precursor), though.

I have no idea why the discography is up for free on archive.org but they are a fastidious group of folks and would have killed it by now if it were illegal. Or so I think, anyway.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Noted. I've started with some earlier stuff:

-Horse Rotorvator which is....really impressive and strange in a great almost-creepy way. That's a hell of a Cohen cover.
    -Dabbled in Stolen and Contaminated Songs a little....I'm pretty sure "omlagus garfungiloops" is the perfect example of how to translate a magic mushroom experience to audio.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i somehow hadn't realized that the expanded versions of those CDs that threshold archives put out (still pissed i missed out on physical copies and then they disappeared...ugh) were up on archive.org until you guys mentioned it, so now i can finally listen to them!

also, that copy of astral disaster i ordered shipped this weekend, so it looks like i'll actually be getting it! who knows what'll happen with the new pressing of transparent...probably should have ordered directly from cold spring instead of amazon...

@Shadaloo horse rotorvator is definitely my favorite album from their first ten or so years of existence

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

it came! sounded fantastic, too. really wish more stuff would get properly reissued like this so i can expand my COIL vinyl collection. le sigh.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    a little confused because there seems to be a new version of Astral Disaster up for pre-order. it has the cover art for the Threshold House version, but still has the description of the Prescription Edition...

Amazon

Import CDs (way cheaper)

i pre-ordered from ImportCDs just in case (says it's on yellow vinyl). really hoping it's not the prescription edition again : /

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    a little confused because there seems to be a new version of Astral Disaster up for pre-order. it has the cover art for the Threshold House version, but still has the description of the Prescription Edition...

Amazon

Import CDs (way cheaper)

i pre-ordered from ImportCDs just in case (says it's on yellow vinyl). really hoping it's not the prescription edition again : /
    Amazon says it's released by Lion Productions, and if you go to their website and scroll down a bit, there's a blurb on this. However, the blurb only talks about the Prescription reissue and doesn't mention a colour.

The ImportCDs UPC is also different from the UPC in the Lion blurb. So... maybe it is indeed a second press on yellow. Who knows if the cover will be that one or the Prescription one, though.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Amazon says it's released by Lion Productions, and if you go to their website and scroll down a bit, there's a blurb on this. However, the blurb only talks about the Prescription reissue and doesn't mention a colour.

The ImportCDs UPC is also different from the UPC in the Lion blurb. So... maybe it is indeed a second press on yellow. Who knows if the cover will be that one or the Prescription one, though.
    From the mission statement:

Our own Lion Productions label concentrates on creating respectful re-releases of music first recorded during the "psychedelic era" (1965-1973); as a distributor, we offer similar reissues made by other labels from locations all across the globe.

So, I'm assuming this is a re-release/re-issue using the Prescription release as a "base".

Release will be on yellow wax and limited to 250 copies. Light In The Attic should be your best bet as far as price and getting what you're supposed to (I hate Amazon when it comes to alternate pressings, etc.):

• Yellow Vinyl = $21 + shipping (March 3, 2017 estimated ship date)
    • CD = $12 + shipping (April 28, 2017 estimated ship date)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    From the mission statement:

Our own Lion Productions label concentrates on creating respectful re-releases of music first recorded during the "psychedelic era" (1965-1973); as a distributor, we offer similar reissues made by other labels from locations all across the globe.

So, I'm assuming this is a re-release/re-issue using the Prescription release as a "base".

Release will be on yellow wax and limited to 250 copies. Light In The Attic should be your best bet as far as price and getting what you're supposed to (I hate Amazon when it comes to alternate pressings, etc.):

• Yellow Vinyl = $21 + shipping (March 3, 2017 estimated ship date)
    • CD = $12 + shipping (April 28, 2017 estimated ship date)
    well, looks like i might end up with two different colored copies of the prescription edition, then. god damnit. i really wanted the Threshold House version and i was so excited for the possibility of it

: /

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    So you bought this, @eversonpoe ? I just saw a photo of it in the FB Coil group and it is indeed the same cover, just pressed on yellow wax.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    So you bought this, @eversonpoe ? I just saw a photo of it in the FB Coil group and it is indeed the same cover, just pressed on yellow wax.
    ffffffffffffffffuck

someone in here, let me know if you want it. no upcharge whatsoever, i'll sell it to you for what i paid.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    so, i finally own a copy of Time Machines on vinyl. i paid $120 (free shipping from South Africa) which is about the most i was willing to pay for it, and about the cheapest i've seen it. it's in near mint condition all around, and the seller was like the nicest person i've ever dealt with on discogs, so i'm very, very happy. haven't had a chance to listen to it, yet, but i'm excited!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    so, i finally own a copy of Time Machines on vinyl. i paid $120 (free shipping from South Africa) which is about the most i was willing to pay for it, and about the cheapest i've seen it. it's in near mint condition all around, and the seller was like the nicest person i've ever dealt with on discogs, so i'm very, very happy. haven't had a chance to listen to it, yet, but i'm excited!

despite some normal crackles and pops, this sounds fantastic. i am so glad i finally own it.

also - https://thevinylfactory.com/news/opt...lease-charity/

‘A Cold Cell In Bangkok’ is out this September on single-sided 12-inch vinyl with a silk-screened image on the other side designed by Firecracker Recordings boss Lindsay Todd.

All proceeds from sales will be donated to the charity Safe Child Thailand, which “supports children in Thailand irrespective of their nationality, ethnicity or religion.”
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 05-31-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Time Machines reissue fully authorized by Drew is up for preorder on Dais. I'm trying to find out of it's remastered and new plates were cut or if it's cut from the originals. Clear wax is already sold out.

https://www.daisrecords.com/collecti...-machines-2xlp

Oh also since i'm signed up now, i'm one of the Coil internet archivists/helpers & i did q/a help for the threshold archives, and the guy that owns that original Side Effects Of Life cassette that i put up on archive.org after transferring it at the studio, ama :P
    Last edited by vav; 09-01-2017 at 11:45 AM.

Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vav View Post
    Clear wax is already sold out.
    Sonofa. I had that in my cart this morning but had to go to a meeting. I shouldn't have hesitated, but I also shouldn't be spending any money at all right now. Urrrgghhh.

Oh also since i'm signed up now, i'm one of the Coil internet archivists/helpers & i did q/a help for the threshold archives, and the guy that owns that original Side Effects Of Life cassette that i put up on archive.org after transferring it at the studio, ama :P
    Pleasure to have you onboard, and thank you for your work in this arena!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Time Machines reissue fully authorized by Drew is up for preorder on Dais. I'm trying to find out of it's remastered and new plates were cut or if it's cut from the originals. Clear wax is already sold out.

https://www.daisrecords.com/collecti...-machines-2xlp

of course, a couple months after i FINALLY buy a copy :/

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    https://boomkat.com/products/another...orld-baby-food

https://boomkat.com/products/a-cold-...b-299867e9f54c

pre-orders for both of these available. i didn't even know a new single version of another brown world was coming out.

also available on Forced Exposure https://www.forcedexposure.com/Artists/COIL.html
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 09-01-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    sorry for the multitude of posts!

i put the original pressing i have of Time Machines up on discogs for exactly what i paid, and it sold in less than 12 hours to someone who is REALLY excited about it. so i made up my loss and i'm happy! especially since the other cheapest copy on discogs is currently going for $750, which is NUTS.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    So the Time Machines reissue is indeed remastered, and a brand new cut with "minimal changes."

The Baby Food/Another Brown World 12" on Sub Rosa i don't know the source of, but both tracks were originally released by the same label. It's probably just a cash grab, but it's semi-official i suppose.

The Journey To Avebury 12" is kinda the same thing...it's being released by the same guy that released Porto, so i believe him when he says Sleazy said it was cool way back when, but he's being kinda cagey when asked about the source audio and who's cutting the vinyl.

The Cold Cell In Bangkok 12" is also kinda the same thing as above.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    So the Time Machines reissue is indeed remastered, and a brand new cut with "minimal changes."

The Baby Food/Another Brown World 12" on Sub Rosa i don't know the source of, but both tracks were originally released by the same label. It's probably just a cash grab, but it's semi-official i suppose.

The Journey To Avebury 12" is kinda the same thing...it's being released by the same guy that released Porto, so i believe him when he says Sleazy said it was cool way back when, but he's being kinda cagey when asked about the source audio and who's cutting the vinyl.

The Cold Cell In Bangkok 12" is also kinda the same thing as above.
    what is The Journey To Avebury and why can't i find anything about it relating to COIL? it looks like it's the soundtrack to a derek jarman short film but i'm confused

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    what is The Journey To Avebury and why can't i find anything about it relating to COIL? it looks like it's the soundtrack to a derek jarman short film but i'm confused
    Journey to Avebury was originally released as part of Song Of The Week on Brainwashed back in the 90's. It was re-released on the Brainwaves compilation in the mid-aughts in a higher resolution version with an extended intro. Now the dude that released Porto is pressing a 12" up.

The track itself is a long ambient piece with bird sounds, ms20 filter bubbles, and digital glitchwaves. It's quite relaxing. At least one of the versions is up on archive.org, or i can send you the track too if you'd like.

Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    I caved and pre-ordered Time Machines in gray. I'm still a little miffed that I had clear in my cart, but went to a meeting and came back to find it sold out.

Someone mentioned that Drew's doing another Time Machines set in New York on the 22nd? I hate to sound like that guy, but why do these things happen when I'm completely strapped for cash?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I've watched the short, it's interesting, and Coil did the soundtrack for it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Journey to Avebury was originally released as part of Song Of The Week on Brainwashed back in the 90's. It was re-released on the Brainwaves compilation in the mid-aughts in a higher resolution version with an extended intro. Now the dude that released Porto is pressing a 12" up.

The track itself is a long ambient piece with bird sounds, ms20 filter bubbles, and digital glitchwaves. It's quite relaxing. At least one of the versions is up on archive.org, or i can send you the track too if you'd like.
    could you point me in the direction of the 12" that's being released because i can't seem to find it, i just keep finding this - https://www.discogs.com/Myrninerest-...elease/3858531

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    could you point me in the direction of the 12" that's being released because i can't seem to find it, i just keep finding this - https://www.discogs.com/Myrninerest-...elease/3858531
    No direct link, but he's selling it in the Coil FB group, so join up there and search for posts by Carlos Manuel

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I can't decide on colour! It would have been nice to have had colour previews.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    As I somewhat anticipated, shipping to the UK will double the price, which is a shame. My most-local record store haven't had sight of it on the pre-order lists from their distributors either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thank you very much for archiving this tape and for the history. i just deleted my folder of the demise demos. any interesting comments from wax trax! or danny hyde?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howisya View Post
    thank you very much for archiving this tape and for the history. i just deleted my folder of the demise demos. any interesting comments from wax trax! or danny hyde?
    Danny didn't have too much to say about it, i have vague recollection of him saying this tape was probably made at home and therefore before he was involved in the studio, but i can't find the correspondence. The only other thing Danny said was something along the lines of "It figures you'd be the one to find this." I asked Thrower about it too, he doesn't remember making it.

As for WT!, Julia did a little digging and figured out that this tape was sent to Jim & Danny, and apparently it was liberated from Jim's desk by Frankie Nardiello, aka Groovie Man of Thrill Kill Kult. He then put a bunch of random Greater Than One tracks on Side B. It sat in a box for years until it ended up at Reckless Records on Broadway, where one morning they put it on the website and i randomly happened to look at cassettes that morning (which i hate and do not collect, so i have no idea why i clicked cassettes) see it, and immidiately call not 10 minutes after they put it up. Went down to pick it up and was floored once i realized what it was.

What's weird is that it hadn't been heard of before i unearthed it. Brainwashed didn't mention it, Discogs didn't mention it, zip, nothing. Just kinda one of those weird things. Whitney actually updated Brainwashed to reflect the cassette, but also a mutual friend of Peter's reached out with a list of the entire tape & date archive for me to look over and sure enough it matched one of the tapes. As for the tracks themselves, they're all on one or two DATs, and 2 of the full-fidelity DAT tracks (Fidgit and Carvers & Gilders) made it onto the T-ARCH10 release, aka the Threshold Archives Windowpane.

There are 3 other confirmed copies of this tape, fwiw. One was sent to the owner of Torso records, One was kept in the archive and was auctioned off by Thighpaulsandra about 2 months after i made my tape available, and the other i don't know its lineage of but it's definitely the real deal.