Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Coil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howisya View Post
    thank you very much for archiving this tape and for the history. i just deleted my folder of the demise demos. any interesting comments from wax trax! or danny hyde?
    Danny didn't have too much to say about it, i have vague recollection of him saying this tape was probably made at home and therefore before he was involved in the studio, but i can't find the correspondence. The only other thing Danny said was something along the lines of "It figures you'd be the one to find this." I asked Thrower about it too, he doesn't remember making it.

As for WT!, Julia did a little digging and figured out that this tape was sent to Jim & Danny, and apparently it was liberated from Jim's desk by Frankie Nardiello, aka Groovie Man of Thrill Kill Kult. He then put a bunch of random Greater Than One tracks on Side B. It sat in a box for years until it ended up at Reckless Records on Broadway, where one morning they put it on the website and i randomly happened to look at cassettes that morning (which i hate and do not collect, so i have no idea why i clicked cassettes) see it, and immidiately call not 10 minutes after they put it up. Went down to pick it up and was floored once i realized what it was.

What's weird is that it hadn't been heard of before i unearthed it. Brainwashed didn't mention it, Discogs didn't mention it, zip, nothing. Just kinda one of those weird things. Whitney actually updated Brainwashed to reflect the cassette, but also a mutual friend of Peter's reached out with a list of the entire tape & date archive for me to look over and sure enough it matched one of the tapes. As for the tracks themselves, they're all on one or two DATs, and 2 of the full-fidelity DAT tracks (Fidgit and Carvers & Gilders) made it onto the T-ARCH10 release, aka the Threshold Archives Windowpane.

There are 3 other confirmed copies of this tape, fwiw. One was sent to the owner of Torso records, One was kept in the archive and was auctioned off by Thighpaulsandra about 2 months after i made my tape available, and the other i don't know its lineage of but it's definitely the real deal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Oh one other thing, so my copy is definitely the source of the Love's Secret Demise mp3 that was floating around the net, but no one will cop to uploading it, Frankie says he didn't do it. So that part's a mystery.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Red TM sold out now too. Haven't found a UK seller.

EDIT: does anyone have this episode of Freak Zone w/ Cosey Fanni Tutti downloaded? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08s2qx2

I could trade you the two Coil ones (Stuart_Maconies_Freak_Zone_-_Coil_b06nw9pl Stuart_Maconies_Freakier_Zone_-_John_Doran_uncoils_Coil_b06phdz9)
    Last edited by jmtd; 09-13-2017 at 07:47 AM.

Mentioned
    317 Post(s)
    more new stuff up for pre-order at forced exposure

2xLP (can't tell if it comes with a DVD) and CD/DVD versions of Plastic Spider Thing, which actually includes a few bits of songs from "still" by NIN mixed in with everything. i remember listening to the "album" back in 2007 in the darkroom at columbia college (i was taking a photo class as a student-at-large) and being like "wait, that sounds like NIN!" i was on a big COIL kick at the time so i basically spent all my time in the darkroom listening to them.

http://forcedexposure.com/Catalog/co...RBL.063LP.html

http://forcedexposure.com/Catalog/co...RBL.063CD.html

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    more new stuff up for pre-order at forced exposure

2xLP (can't tell if it comes with a DVD) and CD/DVD versions of Plastic Spider Thing, which actually includes a few bits of songs from "still" by NIN mixed in with everything. i remember listening to the "album" back in 2007 in the darkroom at columbia college (i was taking a photo class as a student-at-large) and being like "wait, that sounds like NIN!" i was on a big COIL kick at the time so i basically spent all my time in the darkroom listening to them.

http://forcedexposure.com/Catalog/co...RBL.063LP.html

http://forcedexposure.com/Catalog/co...RBL.063CD.html
    Err, what? Why are Still bits on it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't recall any bits from Still sampled on it, but who knows. I listened to it once and promptly sold it.

Mentioned
    317 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Err, what? Why are Still bits on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by vav View Post
    I don't recall any bits from Still sampled on it, but who knows. I listened to it once and promptly sold it.
    from the notes on the discogs listing of the original release -
    Thanks to Jhon Balance & Peter Christopherson with additional inspiration from: The Electric Newspaper / Steinbrüchel / Test Department / Nine Inch Nails.
    and from a review on the same page -
    Toward the end there are remixes of the Nine Inch Nail songs 'Leaving Hope' and 'Adrift and at Peace'.
    i thought i remembered hearing pieces of both of those, and i'm not the only one!

vav, i'm guessing you weren't a big fan of the album?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    from the notes on the discogs listing of the original release -

and from a review on the same page -

i thought i remembered hearing pieces of both of those, and i'm not the only one!

vav, i'm guessing you weren't a big fan of the album?
    No way, not even at slightly. It's gotta be some of the most trite Coil inspired music i've heard, and i've got a few of the tribute cd's :/

I mailordered it back in the day and got one of the ones with a polaroid of the ritual, which was a snap of someone's arm against a bannister. Having seen the A Well Hung Monk video, gunna guess it was Balance's...but either way honestly i think i put it up for sale the day after i got it.

If anyone wants to see the A Well Hung Monk vid PM me and i'll send you the link & password. 18+ and not for the sensitive types, there's a lot of dong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    EDIT: does anyone have this episode of Freak Zone w/ Cosey Fanni Tutti downloaded? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08s2qx2

I could trade you the two Coil ones (Stuart_Maconies_Freak_Zone_-_Coil_b06nw9pl Stuart_Maconies_Freakier_Zone_-_John_Doran_uncoils_Coil_b06phdz9)
    i'm sorry, i don't, but i love this show! i listen every week to this and the freakier zone (now freak zone playlist). good luck!

maybe you can help me understand something. some of the "trails" refer to downloading shows for offline listening in the app. i believe this is for UK residents only (licence fee payers who subsidize us freeloaders from around the globe). i've often wondered if there is a way to snag the file off of your device for personal archiving rather than disappearing after a month. there are shows, including the first time with, i'd definitely keep if i could, but it seems only a few have dedicated rippers, notably gilles peterson and, when it aired, 6 mix, which i also loved.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    i'm sorry, i don't, but i love this show! i listen every week to this and the freakier zone (now freak zone playlist). good luck!
    Thanks, I found an MP3 copy on a russian website. PM me if you want it (or the other two).

maybe you can help me understand something. some of the "trails" refer to downloading shows for offline listening in the app. i believe this is for UK residents only (licence fee payers who subsidize us freeloaders from around the globe). i've often wondered if there is a way to snag the file off of your device for personal archiving rather than disappearing after a month. there are shows, including the first time with, i'd definitely keep if i could, but it seems only a few have dedicated rippers, notably gilles peterson and, when it aired, 6 mix, which i also loved.
    So I don't know if you can skim downloaded shows from the official BBC iPlayer Apps, but there's an amazing unofficial command-line tool called get_iplayer which makes getting a perfect, permanent copy of TV or radio shows a breeze.

Ive long been thinking of writing a web front end so a group of folks could remote control a get_iplayer recorder and share the results amongst themselves but I never get around to it. By the time I do, it will probably have stopped working (but it has lasted a remarkably long time so far)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Found a local store who will do a pre order for time machines!

Mentioned
    317 Post(s)

a cold cell in bangkok 12" 45rpm single with screen-printed side B
    hadn't actually heard this remix of the song but it was quite good, and that print looks so cool

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    My Time Machines Vinyl is due on Friday! Assuming the shop I ordered it from have got their shit together.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    My Time Machines Vinyl is due on Friday! Assuming the shop I ordered it from have got their shit together.
    ...nope it/they didn't. The order got placed successfully though, so it might one day turn up.

Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    My gray vinyl Time Machines reissue arrived yesterday, and inside was a download code with four 16-bit/44khz wavs. I'm still a little bit bummed about having the clear one in my cart and then having to go to a meeting before I could check out, but I'm not that bummed

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I got mine too, ended up with black but better than nothing.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    My gray vinyl Time Machines reissue arrived yesterday, and inside was a download code with four 16-bit/44khz wavs. I'm still a little bit bummed about having the clear one in my cart and then having to go to a meeting before I could check out, but I'm not that bummed
    Hey @Leviathant , noticed any audio difference in the remaster?

Mentioned
    317 Post(s)
    noticed any audio difference in the remaster?

COIL - time machines
    dais records 2017 remaster on grey vinyl
    listening right now and i'm honestly kind of glad i was able to re-sell the original pressing i had gotten earlier this year because this sounds vastly better (and i love the grey color). i think that's due in part to the remastering (the original sounded a bit thin) and in part to the pressing (this seems to have been done with great care). wish i had gotten the clear, though.