Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Classic Rock

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Here is a good article about classic rock that relates to a discussion that we had here:
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...it-used-to-be/

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Here is a good article about classic rock that relates to a discussion that we had here:
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...it-used-to-be/
    He did a lot of data compiling but seemed to overlook some main points.

I'm FROM Detroit, all of my family is still there. WRIF (The Riff, which has been around FOREVER) plays a combo of standard classic rock and "modern rock" like the Foo Fighters and Korn. WCSX is straight up classic rock. And 89X is "New Rock Alternative" and 89X does something called Time Warp which is oldies alternative or whatever. Then you have 94.7 Oldies which is 50s and 60s "oldies" rock.

But this is all TERRESTRIAL radio which is losing its shit to satellite radio, the latter of which can be way way way more categorized.

So many terrestrial stations are losing revenue and going under, many of them are combining formats so that they're now "Classic and Modern Rock" or "Classic and Alternative Rock" or some shit like that. So it's not that the definition of "Classic Rock" is changing, per what the station is playing; it's that the station's format is changing, because the station can't draw a big enough demographic (or ad revenue) by playing Black Sabbath and Zeppelin all day.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-08-2014 at 04:25 AM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i love, love, LOVE seventies am soft rock like early hall & oates, the doobie brothers, earth wind & fire ("joanna" era), england dan, ambrosia, chicago, etc.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    i love, love, LOVE seventies am soft rock like early hall & oates, the doobie brothers, earth wind & fire ("joanna" era), england dan, ambrosia, chicago, etc.
    Uh.... "Joanna" wasn't Earth Wind & Fire, that was Kool & the Gang. 70s soft rock was alright just as long as you don't mention Bread. Those guys sucked.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Uh.... "Joanna" wasn't Earth Wind & Fire, that was Kool & the Gang. 70s soft rock was alright just as long as you don't mention Bread. Those guys sucked.
    for the win. i'm stoned. i loved them both, though.

my mom loved bread. i remember the record sleeves, but i can't think of a single song.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Who could forget these guys

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I honestly don't know the first thing about Loggins And Messina, but I dug this tune (this performance specifically) immediately.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    for the win. i'm stoned. i loved them both, though.

my mom loved bread. i remember the record sleeves, but i can't think of a single song.

Last edited by allegro; 07-08-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    About the best effen classic rock song:

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Lately, my friend S and I have been remembering how much we love this:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Excellent song. Robin Trower's band toured with King Crimson in 1974, and in his diaries Robert Fripp talks about Robin with reverence for his playing and the mutual appreciation society they had while on tour.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    It's all over but the shouting, I've come to take what's mine

Van Halen's fourth album Fair Warning (1981) is a stone-cold classic. The tension between Eddie and Dave really helped make what many fans regard as their best album.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I've had this damn song stuck in my head on repeat since I finished watching S2 of Orange is the New Black a couple of weeks ago. LOVE the guitar tone on the main riff.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post

I've had this damn song stuck in my head on repeat since I finished watching S2 of Orange is the New Black a couple of weeks ago. LOVE the guitar tone on the main riff.
    Except now I can't listen to that song without seeing this in my head LOL.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-09-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The Doobie Brothers are practically a jukebox of hits, a lot of which I never get tired of, but this might be their best song (IMO of course).

Last edited by onthewall2983; 05-21-2015 at 03:16 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Not sure where to put this, but is a fun read on Alice Cooper...mostly involving Schools Out.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    That's why I posted it; reductio ad absurdum. Anyone making this 25-years-or-more argument is effectively saying that "classic" and "old" are synonymous, which of course they are not. Otherwise the genre would just be called "old rock" and eventually, 25 years after people stop making rock music, it'll be "rock".
    so were zep et al referred to as classic rock at the time, or was it only... after a bit of time had passed

grunge is classic rock now, we're all old, deal with it classic rock is just rock from back in the day which is critically and popularly acclaimed, any classic rock band you can mention has it's own little subgenre it belongs to which wasn't called classic rock at the time

so it's a combination of age and acclaim

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Whitesnake just released a new album titled The Purple Album--all reworkings of songs from Coverdale's tenure with the Deep Purple. I thought it was a pretty lame idea at first, but this is actually quite good. Usually when people re-record their old songs they are inferior to the originals, but these new recordings offer a fresh interpretation of the material--dueling guitar solos rather than guitar/keyboards, better production values, etc. Not saying that this new album is better than the old recordings, it's just different.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Thanks, that's awesome. Man, I wish I woulda kept those panties.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Whitesnake just released a new album titled The Purple Album--all reworkings of songs from Coverdale's tenure with the Deep Purple. I thought it was a pretty lame idea at first, but this is actually quite good. Usually when people re-record their old songs they are inferior to the originals, but these new recordings offer a fresh interpretation of the material--dueling guitar solos rather than guitar/keyboards, better production values, etc. Not saying that this new album is better than the old recordings, it's just different.
    I know people tend to prefer the Mach II line-up of Deep Purple but I'm in the camp that prefers the Mach III/Mach IV line-up as I just like what David Coverdale does as a vocalist as he brought a lot more soul and power to the songs and the stuff he was doing with Glenn Hughes are just killer.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I know people tend to prefer the Mach II line-up of Deep Purple but I'm in the camp that prefers the Mach III/Mach IV line-up as I just like what David Coverdale does as a vocalist as he brought a lot more soul and power to the songs and the stuff he was doing with Glenn Hughes are just killer.
    Burn is one of their best albums, but the two follow-ups weren't quite as good. Mach II, on the other hand, had a string of strong albums.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Burn is one of their best albums, but the two follow-ups weren't quite as good. Mach II, on the other hand, had a string of strong albums.
    That is true. Mach II did make better albums but I still think Burn is the best of the bunch. Plus, I also like the Mach IV line-up w/ Tommy Bolin on guitar.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm a pretty big Montrose fan, and while their first album is considered a classic, the others are overlooked. Really liked their third album, Warner Brothers Presents, their first with Bob James on vocals, who replaced Sammy Hagar.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    so were zep et al referred to as classic rock at the time, or was it only... after a bit of time had passed

grunge is classic rock now, we're all old, deal with it classic rock is just rock from back in the day which is critically and popularly acclaimed, any classic rock band you can mention has it's own little subgenre it belongs to which wasn't called classic rock at the time

so it's a combination of age and acclaim
    That's not true. Classic rock was invented as a radio genre in the 80s and was mostly AOR or Album Oriented Rock mostly from the 70s. It isn't "Classic" just by age or aclaim.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The two post-Morrison Doors albums to get an official release:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...issue-20150529

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    That's not true. Classic rock was invented as a radio genre in the 80s and was mostly AOR or Album Oriented Rock mostly from the 70s. It isn't "Classic" just by age or aclaim.
    no disputing that's the origin of the term, but if it still stands as the definition then why do you get sex pistols and nirvana in classic rock magazines and stations. It's cause now the term encompasses popular rock music thats about 20+ years old. as you said, in the 80s this meant stuff from 70s, and nowadays it's expanded. again, as you say it was just an invented term for marketing purposes

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    no disputing that's the origin of the term, but if it still stands as the definition then why do you get sex pistols and nirvana in classic rock magazines and stations. It's cause now the term encompasses popular rock music thats about 20+ years old. as you said, in the 80s this meant stuff from 70s, and nowadays it's expanded. again, as you say it was just an invented term for marketing purposes
    We NEVER hear Sex Pistols on classic rock stations around here so I dunno. I guess radio and mags can pollute it all they want, like back in the 70s and punk was around and mags would group the Police in with punk because of their hair but that doesn't make it correct. The only AOR was mostly IN the 60s and 70s, that's why it was and in the 80s that was only 10 or 20 years later. Where the fuck else was there AOR? It's still a genre, like progressive.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-13-2015 at 09:17 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Radio's a little different in England (where @Sutekh resides). I don't have a good beat on what their classic rock stations are like, but TeamRock for example, plays everything. Looking at their playlist just now, they've put on everything from Chuck Berry to Marilyn Manson to Hawkwind. I imagine not all their stations are like that and there are some that are more regimented, but nothing like what it is here.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    over here the monolithic oldies station is bbc radio 2, and pistols, blockheads and especially the clash get played alongside zep etc. I think maybe punk was a bit more mainstream over here? pistols and clash all had top ten records and you see dads wearing their tshirts. apart from the ramones i dont think US punk had many chart smashers before it forked off into new wave and hc

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Classic Rock stations here play a few Clash songs, but that's pretty much it. Otherwise it is pretty much more New Wave bands like Talking Heads and Blondie, but that's pretty rare now.