Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Trent + Beats

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    On the other hand, fuck them all. Rappers have proven themselves to want one thing and one thing only. Money.
    And dat azz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If it's headphones he's working on, I hope it's some sort of gaming type headphones / earbuds. Otherwise I'm just excited to see what emerges.
    Last edited by loophole; 11-06-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I see 2 quotes on the one negative part I wrote, please know that it only "on the other hand" comment. I don't need to post one of many examples to back up that claim... it was directed more towards 50 Cent.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Is it just me or trent looks skinnier? And younger...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallos View Post

Is it just me or trent looks skinnier? And younger...
    That isn't a recent photo (the chap in the back gives it away). I imagine it was taken in 1999.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Just in case no one else has yet:

Beats by Tre.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nufan View Post
    That isn't a recent photo (the chap in the back gives it away). I imagine it was taken in 1999.
    It was taken in late 1998 iirc, during the recording of Even Deeper.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have a feeling it will be some kind of recording software/hardware.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I'd say Dre's fucking FUBU shirt gives it away more than anything.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Last year, Iovine and Dre were discussing a new music distribution platform with Apple that would provide 24-bit lossless music via iTunes. Trent is a sucker for 24-bit releases, so... this may be it.

EDIT: Link: http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web...sic/index.html

2nd edit: Also, the article does mention Trent...
    Last edited by wizfan; 10-18-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    HTDA release next month to pilot the first 24bit iTunes release? That'd be cool.

well... except for the fact that I can't tell the difference in all of the high quality stuff. I don't know if it is due to years of playing drums without ear protection (especially incredibly loud marching snare) or just never being exposed to it in a way that allows me to discern the difference. a v0 VBR encoded MP3 is about as far as my hearing goes. 16bit vs 24bit... Yea I don't think I've ever been able to tell. I don't even notice v0 VBR vs FLAC. Anyone care to open my eyes?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    It is extremely difficult to hear the difference, especially with today's heavily compressed rock music. Usually, a v0 or 320 MP3 will sound almost identical to a FLAC using everyday equipment like earbuds, headphones, computer speakers, regular music systems. Same thing mostly happens with 16 and 24bit. You will probably need some very expensive equipment to hear the difference between 16 and 24bit. Most of the times, I just notice a greater depth in the dynamic range, but that's really subtle. And that's all there is: little details. And focusing too much to them may ruin your experience altogether. I use 24bits when I make my own music just because I want the files to be as accurate as possible.

This topic has had a topic of its own, so I believe we will discuss it even further once TR and co. bring out the big news.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    That would be cool but it doesn't take a year to do that. (Form an agreement with Apple & transfer an album from DAT (or what ever) to FLAC or some other/new format)

"For the past year I have indeed been involved with..." ? - From TR's FB

I'm wondering if they were working with other artists; and not on music.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    HTDA release next month to pilot the first 24bit iTunes release? That'd be cool.

well... except for the fact that I can't tell the difference in all of the high quality stuff. I don't know if it is due to years of playing drums without ear protection (especially incredibly loud marching snare) or just never being exposed to it in a way that allows me to discern the difference. a v0 VBR encoded MP3 is about as far as my hearing goes. 16bit vs 24bit... Yea I don't think I've ever been able to tell. I don't even notice v0 VBR vs FLAC. Anyone care to open my eyes?
    the bit depth actually deals more with dynamic range than with what most people would call "sound quality" (i.e. frequency range) so with most modern music (which has so much compression on it it's ridiculous) you can't really tell.

if you want to hear a real difference, check out an original CD release of "discipline" (or any of the pre-80s albums) by King Crimson, and compare it with Steven Wilson's corresponding remaster.
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 10-19-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Afro DJ View Post
    I have a feeling it will be some kind of recording software/hardware.
    This is exactly what I was thinking- most likely software similar to the TPain effect.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sore_and_crucified View Post
    This is exactly what I was thinking- most likely software similar to the TPain effect.
    If I could, I'd facepalm you so hard my eyes would be sore.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Given Dre's comment of "'It's one thing to steal the music, it's another thing to destroy it" and given the way Trent and his studio buddies paid attention to some nitpicking on the hydrogenaudio forums and re-released the FLAC version of The Slip to accommodate them, as well as Trent's "It's not what you think" suggestions about the partnership, I'm leaning toward this being something about some fidelity thing. Pure conjecture, but maybe they're going to do "beats certified" digital download release, a la THX certified.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    It was taken in late 1998 iirc, during the recording of Even Deeper.
    i knew that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe I was a little mis understood earlier. I have an old Keyboard magazine from the like 2000s... I remember Trent talking about how he would love to get his own 'suite' of plug in's out there for pro audio. Especially now with the whole film score thing taking off, I'm hearing more and more people striving for the Trent sound!

I just can't imagine Trent putting his name to some headphones or an audio format. I can't see what else we need in between .mp3 and .flac, especially with his passion for vinyl, am I missing something here?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Plugin pack would be awesome!

I'm thinking it might be a phone/tablet app which would contain...
    • Full track listing
    • Music Videos
    • Album Art
    • Band Shots
    • Lyrics
    • Message Boards (?)
    • Live maps showing where in the world that song is being played (Like NIN did kind of)
    • Games/Interactive
    • Allow the app to block all calls/messages/mute
    • Bonus material
    • Live interaction during concerts (video/interaction/images)

I mean, how the hell does an APP get leaked... it’s not easy to pirate/torrent apps. People aren’t keen on hacking/jail breaking their phones or tablets. If the audio is packaged as binaries then it will be difficult to extract or copy.

Also, being endorsed by beats by dr. dre… the app could contain specific equalizing instructions for a superior sound when used with the beats headphones.

If you do format or lose your phone or tablet you will always be able to return to Google Play or iTunes to reinstall it.

Releasing an album as an app has a lot of added value. The experience & ability to tell stories in a new way is priceless. I would spend $10 - $15 on an app like this. Plus the band can gather some reporting data!

But why associate with beats? Because they have the dev team? Isn't it fun playing the guessing game?

To break even on a $200,000 app development HTDA would need to sell at least 32,000 apps @ $10; which including Apples 30% cut in sales. Doesn't leave much room for revenue for video recording/editing and the time spend recording & paying for mastering & engineering etc....

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sore_and_crucified View Post
    Maybe I was a little mis understood earlier. I have an old Keyboard magazine from the like 2000s... I remember Trent talking about how he would love to get his own 'suite' of plug in's out there for pro audio. Especially now with the whole film score thing taking off, I'm hearing more and more people striving for the Trent sound!

I just can't imagine Trent putting his name to some headphones or an audio format. I can't see what else we need in between .mp3 and .flac, especially with his passion for vinyl, am I missing something here?
    the "trent sound" isn't really something that could be replicated with a plugin, though; it just consists of sampling a lot of playing stuff and manipulating it. he doesn't really use much raw synthesis that isn't subsequently resampled. I suppose he could come out with a sampling plug in but that just doesn't seem... right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like a real fanboy, whatever it is I am BUSTING!
    Hoping its new music related though..