Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trent + Beats

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdsctt View Post
    Wasn't Detox announced in 2001? I though people gave up hope of ever hearing that.
    Last we heard about it was 2011 though, it's endlessly unfinished

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm glad it's not headphones. Dre Beats suck and are cheaply made.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Atticus was rumoured to be on Detox a few rumours ago, if that's true then Trent might've come too - but come on, Trent is a master of instrumentals, and The Planets is Dre's upcoming instrumental album...
    Dre has an upcoming instrumental album? When is the release date?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    Dre has an upcoming instrumental album? When is the release date?
    Lol, Dre is worse than Trent with putting things off. 2013 was the last I head, he wants the whole thing mixed in surround and shit - now, it sounds like it will be epic, but Detox has taken over a decade, so I'm expecting The Planets to come out about 2035

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Lol, Dre is worse than Trent with putting things off. 2013 was the last I head, he wants the whole thing mixed in surround and shit - now, it sounds like it will be epic, but Detox has taken over a decade, so I'm expecting The Planets to come out about 2035
    Ah that's a pity, because I really like this

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    His perfectionism might be less crippling without lyrics involved. I'd be even more pumped for an instrumental album than Detox actually, a lot of the music on 2001 is downright beautiful in my opinion.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    If Trent is actually working with Jimmy Iovine now, how did the relationship with Interscope get so bad when Iovine was the head of it?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Why would it make you sad that the greatest Rap producer and one of the greatest rappers of all time is working with Trent again? Is it because you think Timbaland is better?
    he's working with dre, not madlib. or dilla.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    If Trent is actually working with Jimmy Iovine now, how did the relationship with Interscope get so bad when Iovine was the head of it?
    I suspect that when Vivendi/Universal bought Interscope, Jimmy's sway in the company waned.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    bet they'll be rebooting Hot Topic!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mashable:

"Reznor made his announcement on Facebook on the same day Beats Electronics unveiled three new Beats by Dre products in New York City. Near the end of Tuesday’s press event, Iovine teased the partnership with Reznor, showing an image of Reznor on two screens. Reznor had no connection to these new products, and the Beats Electronics PR team is sending us more details about Reznor’s partnership shortly:"

Billboard:

"Trent Reznor has signed on with the company in a consulting role"

Last edited by somewhat_; 10-16-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    he's working with dre, not madlib. or dilla.
    Dre's a fantastic producer, but the amount of work done by the people under him that he took credit for is staggering. Scott Storch is the most well known. This kind of thing was most prevalent on Dre's work after The Chronic.

Also, I would throw Rza & The Neptunes in there as superior producers to Dre.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    (I can tell you it's probably not what you're expecting!)
    That's pretty much a given for "NOT HEADPHONES", right?

By the way, has anyone ever tried those Beats headphones? I hear they're expensive as fuck, but too heavy on the bass. And there's a Justin Bieber one. That's all I know.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post

By the way, has anyone ever tried those Beats headphones? I hear they're expensive as fuck, but too heavy on the bass. And there's a Justin Bieber one. That's all I know.
    They're overpriced for what they are - sound quality isn't anything great, and just passes as studio-quality (though that might even be debatable.) The company basically makes a mediocre product and uses celebrity endorsement from mainstream artists and sports stars to shove it down our throats.

I remember seeing a quote by Reznor saying that he was impressed by Beats marketing-wise. Surprising that he would align himself with a company like this (I doubt he uses their products himself), but I guess you gotta pay the bills.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post

I overheard a guy at work talking about his Beats headphones. He's on his third pair. They've each broken and he's gotten em replaced under warranty. When he talked to a sales guy about the problems he's had, he was told they're not for listening to music all the time. On that note, I turned up the volume on my $10 skull candy buds and got back to work.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Trent + Beats = Teats.
    What kind of teats? That depends on demand. What sort of teats would you want?

This thread is now about teats.
    Teats: http://i.imgur.com/u3ytU.jpg
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 10-16-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Trent + Beats = Teats What kind of teats? That depends on demand. What sort of teats would you want?

Insert that image into the post, make this thread prettier.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I originally did! Someone PM'd me and asked me to remove the IMG tags

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Trent Reznor ‏@trent_reznor BTW, today's Beats news is completely unrelated to yesterday's studio news. Nobody (that I saw) guessed it right.

I wonder if he's seeing what's posted here, too, or just saying "guesses on twitter have been wrong". You lurking again, Trent?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Trent Reznor ‏@trent_reznor BTW, today's Beats news is completely unrelated to yesterday's studio news. Nobody (that I saw) guessed it right.

I wonder if he's seeing what's posted here, too, or just saying "guesses on twitter have been wrong". You lurking again, Trent?
    I still think it's Peter Hook

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I hope I don't get crucified for this, but here's a few words that Trent said about Jimmy Iovine in 2009:

And I have had Jimmy Iovine, the president of that label, come up to me on every record from With Teeth onwards saying I should do some sort of urban thing — it was Timbaland for a while, then it was Pharrell for a while — because ‘that’s how you sell records.’ The idea seemed so preposterous and insulting.
    http://www.twentyfourbit.com/2009/08...s-cornell-its/

He was also depressed by the pressure from the label’s head, Jimmy Iovine, to make his records more “urban.” As Reznor saw it, “This is simply, How do we smooth off all the rough edges and make you just like what’s selling now?” Iovine commissioned a number of hip-hop remixes of Nine Inch Nails songs, all of which Reznor rejected, and Reznor soon ended the relationship. “You know what, Jimmy? Fuck you. Take that beat and shove it up Timbaland’s ass.
    http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critic...?currentPage=2

And then this, in 2011:

Perhaps that's what precipitated a recent lunch meeting between Reznor and Interscope chairman Jimmy Iovine where the two "swapped war stories." Says Reznor: "Jimmy is a friend. We get along better when we're not working one under the other, not that I can remember it ever being a personal animosity. There was frustration when I was on the label because I believed it didn't serve the customer right and couldn't move as fast as I liked and I felt like, I'm not at the right place anymore. But I think he’s pioneering and what he’s done with [headphones] Beats [by Dre] is incredible."
    http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/12/16...s-grammys-are/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I still think it's Peter Hook
    Gary Numan just moved to LA, but I'm guessing people would have guessed that one.

Regardless with how much sway Jimmy Iovine has now that Universal calls the shots, I imagine that this will only help the chances of The Fragile box set seeing the light of day if TR's working with them in any capacity, particularly working with them on a project that actually makes money. Interscope will have to sign off on it since they own the rights, so if he's working with Iovine, that can only be a good sign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Prediction: With electronics and both artists big on sampling and "beats" - I'd anticipate some kind of digital sampling or beat machine that can interface with desktop tools. Think, an affordable (professional level) sampling and beat machine 'for the rest of us.'

Fun stuff (Trent talks about working with Dre):
    7m45s in since I can't link to the time in the embed.

Last edited by eyenigma; 10-17-2012 at 02:24 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Trent + Beats = Teats.

Treats.

(10 characters)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Writing like this makes writing in less than 10 characters cooler.

/offtopic

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Trent + Beats = Teats.
    What kind of teats? That depends on demand. What sort of teats would you want?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Atticus was rumoured to be on Detox a few rumours ago, if that's true then Trent might've come too - but come on, Trent is a master of instrumentals, and The Planets is Dre's upcoming instrumental album...
    I love the way you think!

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

Jimmy Iovine
    Trent broke with 'interscope records'.
    And now this relationship....
    Maybe NIN will return back to them?
    Last edited by witte; 10-17-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I was wanting to figure out what this beats by Dre is, I know it’s more than just marketing $300 headphones, $200 pill shaped speakers and computer/auto audio equipment into a market already flooded with audio equipment that offers “the best sound experience ever”.

Turns out that this company is doing well in the market. This job description found on beats careers is interesting.

[start]
    15 Aug 2012
    Digital Producer, Santa Monica, CA, US

Looking for driven Digital Producer with a relentless work ethic, digital knowledge and project management skills to lead marketing programs, product experiences and content production. You’re passionate about new forms of storytelling and emerging media. You understand digital trends like cross-platform narrative, social media, experiential marketing and mobile applications. You know how to create, produce, blog and build.
    [end]

I find the word storytelling very exciting. I remember a certain track from Quake that I really liked, if I wanted to hear it I would have to battle my way through 7 levels to get to it. Likewise, after much digging and head scratching I finally found myself at http://www.hollywoodinmemoriam.org/ while listening to “In this twilight” for the first time. I still remember that moment of discovery.

Is this about people not listening to your music in a quality that satisfies you or in a manner that you accept... or is this about the experience? Will we see a new trend on how to experiencing music? Will we be involved?

On the other hand, fuck them all. Rappers have proven themselves to want one thing and one thing only. Money. I’m not going to fall into this marketing trap. This headphone/speaker war is just another perfume, t-shirt, shoe endorsement, stick your face here load of shit trying to be won by many different rappers who take pride in proclaiming their criminal ways. My $40 Sony headphones work just fine. Don’t tell me for one fucking second that I don’t appreciate quality.

Don’t let that last paragraph scare you, it’s only a concern. I am excited to see what everyone’s involvement is about. Sounds like the headphones were phase one of a large project. What are the next phases?
    Last edited by snaapz; 10-19-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    On the other hand, fuck them all. Rappers have proven themselves to want one thing and one thing only. Money.
    Face, meet palm.