Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: [We like] Death Grips

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY View Post
    YAY!!! Now maybe someone who actually fits the bill will be on the NIN/Soundgarden tour!
    o ya brah. i hear third eye blind are still going.

in all seriousness, a huge bummer that they've called it quits. one wonders what they could've possibly had planned as far as a live show is concerned.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    they cancelled two shows i tried to see them at. great records but fucktards of human beings.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    No passion? What a load. Clearly the band that released five albums in four years (and gave away 4 of them for free, no strings attached) has no passion for what they do.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I believe they put passion into their music (I dug most of it) and did some cool things like releasing it for free and fucking over their label after they were fucked. But the no show concert thing seemed lame at the time and is lame now. And their breakup post seemed a bit pretentious.

I define hipsters as elderly people in retirement homes with hip replacements.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Well, all that nonsense aside; they certainly are leaving a void in the musical landscape. These guys truly left a legacy of unique tunes, whether or not you enjoyed them. I hope Jenny Death brings about some form of closure for all involved.

RIP. It was one hell of a ride.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Nah, they were a great live band when they showed up. Zach can murder the skins. That rehearsal footage they released back in January was just nuts. But uh.....it seems everyone's got their own foregone conclusion about this band already.
    Last edited by nobies; 07-02-2014 at 10:13 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Death Grips were able to achieve a sound unique into their own and create 5 sets of albums that were consistent and challenging in the right way. Without a doubt, one of my favorite bands.

I'm gonna miss them for sure. Oh and don't forget...

Quote Originally Posted by nobies View Post
    There's nothing wrong with wanting to go out at a time you feel the most personally accomplished with your work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really liked Exmilitary and No Love/Deep Web. Money Store was good but the empty lyrics were a serious drawback for me. There are only so many references to your dick that I can take. Government Plates and Niggas On The Moon are cool but again, more weak, meaningless lyrics, and the music was becoming too indulgently experimental for my taste. Oh well, moot point. They clearly reached their apex and had no choice but to retire via napkin letter posted to facebook.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDeathMachine View Post
    They clearly reached their apex and had no choice but to retire via napkin letter posted to facebook.
    I wish my band will reach this apex

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDeathMachine View Post
    They clearly reached their apex and had no choice but to retire via napkin letter posted to facebook.
    Sure, as long as the general response to that is "whoops..." or maybe "sorry!"

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Just listened to a few songs from Government Plates, didn't sound that far off from Yeezus to me. I quite liked some of it, but as soon as you got into some rhythm, it would be mashed up with something else, that piece meal thing. Is it supposed to be a comment on our times or something?

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Wasn't I just talking about this!?
    Dude, you did. I'm on vacation but when I read about DG, I just had to come on and say something. I like DG a lot, but they are a bunch of assholes. I was really looking forward to seeing them too. Oh well.

Also, this breaking up stunt doesn't surprise me.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I will say that I'm happy I got the chance to see them last year. Sadly, it was without Zach Hill as he's a beast on the drums and I loved how they experimented with their sound with MC Ride, Flatliner and Hill as the trio. Our show was just Flatliner and Ride and it didn't have the math rock feel that they're shows usually do when they're a trio or Ride/Hill...but it still sounded incredible. It was more like how they sound on the record. Honestly, it was probably one of the best shows I've ever been to. There's nothing wrong with not being able to get into these guys really, they are more of an abrasive sound that isn't for everyone....but their fans were rapid and LOUD and I think the music along with everyone singing this band's praises and their antics might have been a huge turn off to some people. Clearly by reading the posts here, that seems to be the case. Oh well. I'll never forget the first time I saw the video for Guillotine in 2011, I was hooked.

I think what's most disappointing for a lot of people is we'll never be able to hear material from Government Plates or The Powers That B live. One of the main reasons I bought a ticket for Pitchfork this year was to see them again and see how the new material would've translated live.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, I dug their music, and I loved being surprised by the free albums. I was excited to finally see them at a smaller festival here in Toronto this summer.

If there wasn't any bad blood between Zach and Stefan, they really should have played these shows and THEN called it quits. It seems immature and thoughtless to back out of such a large number of shows, especially when you're an opener for two very large bands. Weak.
    Last edited by exilajei; 07-03-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exilajei View Post
    Well, I dug their music, and I loved being surprised by the free albums. I was excited to finally see them at a smaller festival here in Toronto this summer.

If there wasn't any bad blood between Zach and Stefan, they really should have played these shows and THEN called it quits. It seems immature and thoughtless to back out of such a large number of shows, especially when you're an opener for two very large bands. Weak.
    I can kind of be quick to defend any of their previous actions but I will agree to this statement. I'm not sure if anyone here was a fan of another hip hop group called Das Racist but they called it quits right before they were going to release an album which was going to be released on a major label. It was also known between all of them that this was going to be their last release and they were going to do a farewell tour....but nothing was ever really mentioned of it. They just disbanded and that was all that was left of Das Racist.

After all this talk of doing their own record label, writing this new album (which is still coming out thankfully) and this big tour...my wish would've been to see them just stick it out. Again, I was extremely pumped to see them again in a couple weeks. As I mentioned a couple pages back, I was wondering if The Powers That B was going to be their last record. For a band that had a short life, they certainly put out a decade's worth of music into a couple years....and music that will continue to be just as powerful on several listens.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    'The Money Store' is one of the best LPs of the 2000's but it doesn't excuse their shit attitude about the shows.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    If anyone's wanting to snatch up some Death Grips LPs before they are LONG out of print and the price gouging starts:

No Love Deep Web:
    http://www.soundstagedirect.com/deat...-records.shtml

Money Store:

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    If anyone's wanting to snatch up some Death Grips LPs before they are LONG out of print and the price gouging starts:

No Love Deep Web:

Money Store:
    Dude. Thank you for this....I knew I should've picked up No Love Deep Web on vinyl, now I've got my chance!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    Dude, that's a way cheap price. I think I paid somewhere around $35 for my copy and I went looking for it everywhere because it sold like hot cakes right when it was released. I am proud to say that I have both NLDW on cd and vinyl. @thefragile_jake Jump on that shit before you can't find it anywhere.
    Already ordered it that day! I really should look into getting the Money Store on vinyl as well. My local record store that's right by my office had it for months but I went in there the other day and it was gone!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Death Grips on the new album from The Bug... the song is called "Fuck A Bitch"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Death Grips on the new album from The Bug... the song is called "Fuck A Bitch"
    Man, this is so good. I wish Ride still flowed like this on the later records.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Don't think this has been posted here. Here's some rehearsal footage from earlier in the year. A nice "what coulda been".

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Someone mashed up a bunch of Deftones tracks with all of Ex-Military and it's actually REALLY awesome.

http://totom.bandcamp.com/album/def-grips-ex-pony

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Someone mashed up a bunch of Deftones tracks with all of Ex-Military and it's actually REALLY awesome.

Oh my god everything ToTom does is magical. Have you seen his NIN mixes?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Oh my god everything ToTom does is magical. Have you seen his NIN mixes?
    Nope but I'm definitely going to have to check them out. These mixes are ridiculously awesome. The Takyon/This Place Is Death mashup is unbelievable. My jaw was on the floor the entire time I first heard it.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Maybe the greatest thing ever. I see you @richardp !

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    This might be my new favorite video of the year.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Goddamn, that is fucking hilarious!!!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Cool, thanks for the heads-up, I'm actually planning to re-release NIN related mashup albums pretty soon. That's nice to see my Def Grips mashup album made its way to ETS.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    New DG. Jenny Death is real.