Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [We like] Death Grips

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

[We like] Death Grips

These guys are hyped to the max right now, having just allegedly leaked their second major label album to the internet for free behind Epic's back. That, and you know, the album cover is a dick with sharpie on it.

I'm absolutely in love with their blend of hip-hop, punk, and electronic/noise. You can find the new album, along with their first mixtape, for free on their website (NSFW for the time being).

What do you guys think of No Love Deep Web?
    Last edited by exilajei; 10-02-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I say bring the noise. New album is good though it's not sticking immediately like The Money Store did.

I don't understand why they cancelled all their shows but they did just give out their new album for free.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    it goes it goes it goes it goes gilllllllloutine

THeyre really good i think after listening to the first record. I do agree that its bullshit that they cancel so many shows.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    If they didn't cancel the shows, they wouldn't have the album out now. And looks like they are announcing new tour dates.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I literally just learned about these guys yesterday after the internet erupted with an album cover that had a huge pink penis on the cover. Now they're all over Pitchfork, and what-do-ya-know, ECHOING THE SOUND too.

Somewhere they did something right.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well you can't really be surprised. The first time I heard Exmilitary my head was spinning. You either love or hate them, there's no real in between for most. I know there were some fans on the old ETS, so let's not get too carried away with the hype.

That being said, we all know this amount of attention is never really good for a band in the long run. There's always backlash and a general loss of interest from the older fan base... but these guys will hopefully move past it.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    i don't believe them about leaking shit.
    this. there's a nicely written piece on this subject:

But something is fishy about this whole thing. Firstly, the obvious; why sign to a major label if you don’t want to put up with their bullshit? I mean, I wouldn’t move to North Korea and then bitch that my government sucked. And, can not confirming a release date for a second record in one year even really be considered bullshit? How much money did you guys get again?

Secondly, the timeline of this whole thing seems a bit off. In a nutshell, the general timeline of events goes as follows: An unreleased track that was apparently ‘Hacked’ from the bands website gets released. About an hour later (8pm) the band tweets that they will leak their new record, No Love Deep Web at midnight because ‘The Man’ is being a total dick, and fuck that shit! But that announcement would have left Epic with a 4 hour window to do something… Silence. But today hours and hours after the initial leak, multiple streaming options, and various download sites hosting No Love Deep Web, Epic decides to shut down the bands website (As if that would even hinder anything at this point.) And all this to the eager open arms of the press, whom gobbled up every tweet, every suspicion, story on story, update upon update. Yes, I’m sure Epic is fuming with anger that every press outlet available on the internet is talking about and listening to one of their upcoming releases.

The biggest misconception everyone seems to have about this whole thing is that Epic Records is an oblivious, helpless entity that is only out to do harm and capitalize off artists, in no way caring about Death Grips or their creative vision. All of which is utterly wrong. Epic was nothing but helpful and supportive with Death Grips while releasing The Money Store, allowing the band to stream the entire LP far before physical release and even give away an absurd amount of free tracks from the LP, and eventually, the whole LP. The band’s Zach Hill has even voiced his admiration for Epic Record’s LA Reid, stating in an interview with The Source: “We meet with L.A. Reid regularly and we’re very active. He’s the one that signed us following many meetings with other labels. We went into that building with no expectations but that mans energy is an undeniable thing. We could really sense his connection to what we were trying to do. He alone out of all the people we met with, without naming names made it apparent he really wanted to f*ck with it and help it. When I say help it I mean like present us with the resources to help and maximize our vision. He helps us the most by actually granting us total freedom.” Yeah! FUCK THAT GUY!...

http://www.terroreyes.tv/2012/10/01/...grips-n-l-d-w/

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exilajei View Post
    The first time I heard Exmilitary my head was spinning. You either love or hate them, there's no real in between for most.
    Well, I don't love them or hate them really... I think so far I'm mostly indifferent, and I can't say I get what people are so excited about.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I enjoy their music, and have done since Exmilitary dropped last year. I don't really care about all the hype/mythology surrounding the band. As long as they keep churning out cool sounding stuff I'm there.

I think the title tracks on this new release are probably the best work they've done, but the rest of the album isn't quite up to par with The Money Store.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    They have only ever clicked for me on one track 'Lost Boys' it sounds huge, only track where i can bear the vocals, from the Money Store but rest of the album didnt do it for me, its all a bit too messy. On each track they produce some interesting sounds but it all gets lost and its all too chaotic and does not really go anywhere. Also something about them is slightly annoying. Too in your face??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love Exmilitary. For the uninitiated, check out Spread Eagle Cross The Block, which is the coolest, most intense form of hip-hop I've heard in a long time. The Money Store is great too, but I haven't listened to No Love enough to make any impression beyond "sounds a lot like the last one."

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Everything they've done is fantastic, these guys deserve the hype.

...and apparently Epic Records is none too happy about the leak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, it wasn't a smart move at all on their part, even though I understand their frustration at the release date being pushed back. But if you don't want record labels to have that sort of control over your creative output... um, don't sign with them! They're basically caught in their own backlash now. If they wanted some kind of rebel cred for this stunt, I suppose they'll probably get it, but they'll have to deal with the consequences too. In the long run, it's them who suffer.

Also, NLDW is really not that great when you stack it up next to the previous two, so all the media kerfuffle surrounding it is quickly boring me.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yeah I don't understand their reasoning with signing with Epic in the first place. Media stunt or whatever aside, this album is kinda boring. I still really dig the first 2 but this one doesn't stand out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I love these guys! I bought tix for the Wed, NOV 21st show at 7th street entry, but i can't make it. They're 15 bucks originally, but the site adds a 3 dollar tax for a total of 18 a piece. I'd be willing to sell both of 'em for a flat sale of 30 bucks tho. PM me if you're interested!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I really wish they'd go on a full tour again this year. Seems anytime they're relatively close to me, I miss it or they're playing somewhere not too close of an area. Even with Flatelander not a part of the live performance anymore (I think he was arrested for LSD possession) they seem incredibly intense live and something I NEED to experience.

After releasing two incredible records last year, there's no plans for the follow up No Love Deep Web this year correct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I doubt it, but they seem like workaholics who are really excited about what they do, so it's not totally out of the realm of possibility.

No Love makes me feel so badass when I'm running btw. You guys should give it a try.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    I doubt it, but they seem like workaholics who are really excited about what they do, so it's not totally out of the realm of possibility.

No Love makes me feel so badass when I'm running btw. You guys should give it a try.
    It does! I usually try to do something active outside when I listen to a record for the first time and I distinctly remember hiking in the cold listening to NLDW.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...hEvET2imVtvm7G

Mysterious new playlist...

New music videos? New material?
    We'll have to wait and see..

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Heads up, Death Grips so far have confirmed two shows...one in Kentucky I believe and another in my hometown of St. Louis. I think a full tour in between their festival gigs this summer in an obvious possibility.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Hopefully they come round here again as well. No Love Deep Web has grown on me. I still like The Money Store the best though. It still sounds pretty fresh to me.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    #pray4deathgrips

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I freaking love Death Grips and I wished they would have toured with NIN. That would have been my dream come true. You just needed to know that.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    I freaking love Death Grips and I wished they would have toured with NIN. That would have been my dream come true. You just needed to know that.
    It'd be kind of hard to imagine DG opening up for NIN. I'm not sure how the crowd would've taken them, they both have incredible amounts of energy but most people who I show Death Grips to always find them too abrasive or harsh/unfamiliar on the ears so they ultimately say "Oh. Well this sucks"....when in actuality, it's some of the most innovative and fresh music I've heard in quite some time. I remember seeing the video for Guillotine back in 2011 and thinking it was insane. Obviously 2012 was a big year for them with Money Store and NO LOVE....and I really hope they continue to keep putting out great work. That new single "Birds" is pretty awesome.

OH and they were bat shit insane live...even without Zach Hill. I have never done so much stage diving in my life.

Last edited by thefragile_jake; 03-16-2015 at 11:47 PM.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    It'd be kind of hard to imagine DG opening up for NIN. I'm not sure how the crowd would've taken them, they both have incredible amounts of energy but most people who I show Death Grips to always find them too abrasive or harsh/unfamiliar on the ears so they ultimately say "Oh. Well this sucks"....when in actuality, it's some of the most innovative and fresh music I've heard in quite some time. I remember seeing the video for Guillotine back in 2011 and thinking it was insane. Obviously 2012 was a big year for them with Money Store and NO LOVE....and I really hope they continue to keep putting out great work. That new single "Birds" is pretty awesome.

OH and they were bat shit insane live...even without Zach Hill. I have never done so much stage diving in my life.

^Awesome. I really think that DG are on the forefront of what rap should be. While I agree that they are not everyone's cup of tea, I think they would fit in with NIN's touring aesthetic. I think that they would put the crowd in a good hype mode before NIN would come on stage. I would really like to see them live provided that they actually show up to their own gigs. No Love Deep Web is probably one of my favorite albums from last year (I still play the shit out of it to this day) and Birds is awesome.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    ^Awesome. I really think that DG are on the forefront of what rap should be. While I agree that they are not everyone's cup of tea, I think they would fit in with NIN's touring aesthetic. I think that they would put the crowd in a good hype mode before NIN would come on stage. I would really like to see them live provided that they actually show up to their own gigs. No Love Deep Web is probably one of my favorite albums from last year (I still play the shit out of it to this day) and Birds is awesome.
    Oh yeah, they found a way to blend noise...electronic music...and hip hop together in a very unique way. There's other acts out there that follow a similar aesthetic like B LA C K I E....and while I like what he does, there's something missing from his work that Death Grips just puts together in a better package. MC Rides' stage presence, lyrical content and delivery along with Hill and Flatliner's production just gel together so well. I only thing DG might not work with NIN because DG just feels more like a hardcore punk band live...they're so noisy and so chaotic that smaller club venues just work so much better with how their live show is set up.

Not that they can't play larger venues or festivals though either....I watched their 2012 Coachella show and it looked nuts.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    YUSSS! This is so rad!!

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Death Grips

Omg. I'm trying to download it, but I guess the server crashed or something. Ugh! I guess the free albums are a way to pacify fans for canceling all those shows?