Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: [We like] Death Grips

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Excellent. Sounds like a more complex version of Jenny Death, where the band lets loose and just smashes shit up. Bottomless Pit's songs were much more focused, beat-driven and with slightly more conventional structure (or, as I like to call it, Government Plates Part Two). I loved Bottomless Pit and thought they would return to that sound for YOTS, but, nope, they changed things up again. Also, can we talk about how Zach Hill has gone back to his Hella style of playing? Oh, my God. Also, those turntables.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It's surprisingly fun. A lot of great funky grooves behind all the noise. Self-sampling aside it feels more like an I.L.Y's record with Ride on guest vocals, though, which might disappoint some. Not sure if they can be categorized as a hip-hop group at this point, either.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post
    it feels more like an I.L.Y's record with Ride on guest vocals
    I agree. I thought the same thing on the last track, which I'm sure Zach sings on.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Man, this is a weird one, but I love it! I think Dilemma is my favorite track so far

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Excellent. Sounds like a more complex version of Jenny Death, where the band lets loose and just smashes shit up. Bottomless Pit's songs were much more focused, beat-driven and with slightly more conventional structure (or, as I like to call it, Government Plates Part Two). I loved Bottomless Pit and thought they would return to that sound for YOTS, but, nope, they changed things up again. Also, can we talk about how Zach Hill has gone back to his Hella style of playing? Oh, my God. Also, those turntables.
    In my opinion, Bottomless Pit was like a sharper version of The Money Store. A culmination of all of their tricks they had perfected into this very in your face abrasive ear candy of a record.

This record is almost the weird mutated offspring of Government Plates and Jenny Death. Now that I'm on my third listen, I can certainly hear the I.L.Y's comparison ... which isn't a terrible thing as I loved the shit out of those first two records. Disappointed may be my favorite track so far.

It's an awesome feeling to have two of your favorite bands in Nine Inch Nails and Death Grips put out crazy good albums on the same day.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    "Death Grips Is Online" has got to be the most upbeat/pleasant sounding Death Grips song, I love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    New UK/EU Tour Dates! See you in Manchester? Academy last time was insane. On sale Friday.

August 30 - Brixton Academy - London
    August 31 - Barrowlands - Glasgow
    September 1 - Albert Hall - Manchester
    September 4 - Astra - Berlin
    September 5 - Paradiso - Amsterdam
    September 7 - Ancienne Belgique - Brussels
    September 8 - Elysee Montmartre - Paris

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It reminds me of Zach Hill's recordings with Wavves. Look up "Wavves - Babes album"

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbithole View Post
    New UK/EU Tour Dates! See you in Manchester? Academy last time was insane. On sale Friday.

August 30 - Brixton Academy - London
    August 31 - Barrowlands - Glasgow
    September 1 - Albert Hall - Manchester
    September 4 - Astra - Berlin
    September 5 - Paradiso - Amsterdam
    September 7 - Ancienne Belgique - Brussels
    September 8 - Elysee Montmartre - Paris
    Lucky! Here's hoping for another U.S. fall tour from these guys this year.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbithole View Post
    New UK/EU Tour Dates! See you in Manchester?
    You bet!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    So now we're a week removed, how does YOTS rank for you guys? It's so hard for me to put their albums in a list format cause I love everything they do equally, but I know I'm really enjoying it.

Pitchfork's review was all over the place, which was a little disheartening since Ian Cohen is one of my favorite writers of theirs.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It's probably almost exactly the middle between my top half favorite DG albums and bottom half favorite DG albums. Which is a good thing.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    New tour, and potentially new music! Got tickets for the Nashville show, but it was crazy.