Thread: Soundtracks that define an era/genre

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Soundtracks that define an era/genre

What would your picks be?

I'd go with:

Easy Rider (1969)--hippie drug culture
    Saturday Night Fever (1977)--disco, duh
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)--Only a handful of hits, but seems to have the real feel of the early 80's
    Footloose (1984)--80's cheese
    Top Gun (1986)--more 80's cheese
    Singles (1992)--With the exception of Nirvana, all the major grunge bands are here, along with some alt.rockers of the time. Has a very early, dawn of the grunge/alt. rock feel. I absolutely love this album.
    Reality Bites (1994)--Nice mix of 90's college/alt. rock
    The Crow (1994)--Good mix of industrial/grunge from the early/mid 90's.
    End of Days (1999)--Not very good, but definitely, very 1999. Limp Bizkit, Creed, Powerman 500, etc.
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)--Gives you the feeling that you're listening to rock radio on some shitty car stereo in 1969. Great soundtrack without all the usual suspects.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 02-26-2020 at 05:50 PM.

One great big festering neon distraction....
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Big Chill.
    Empire Records.
    SLC Punk.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Agree with SLC Punk, End of Days and The Crow.

What about the first Matrix? Manson, Ministry, Rammstein, Rage, ect (Plus that AWESOME Clubbed to Death song)

edit: Forgot about Mindfields and My Own Summer being on there! Classic!
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 02-26-2020 at 07:00 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Don’t know if it’s “definitive”, but I love the Judgement Night soundtrack. Rap rock done properly.

Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    (Plus that AWESOME Clubbed to Death song)
    That song is amazeballs. I think it’s the only thing I really go back to for that soundtrack. Not that there’s anything wrong with the other stuff, but that one sticks out for sure.
    EDIT: don’t know if they’re comparable or what not but that song always reminded me of NIN’s Just Like You Imagined, and vice versa. Clubbed to Death sounds a bit more like something you might’ve heard in, well, a downtown night club in that time period. For those who never heard it or don’t remember definitely check it out.
    Last edited by Krazy; 02-26-2020 at 10:21 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    WIPEOUT XL aka WIPEOUT 2097

For fans of 90s electronica
    CD with artwork by The Designers Republic
    Also, if you put the Wipeout XL PS1 game disc in your CD player, it has other tracks featured in the game, but not on the CD soundtrack.

Last edited by neorev; 02-27-2020 at 12:43 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Hackers- mid 90's electronic awesomeness
    Trainspotting- mostly mid 90's electronic but some other great tracks thrown in there like Iggy Pop and Brian Eno

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    WIPEOUT XL aka WIPEOUT 2097

For fans of 90s electronica
    CD with artwork by The Designers Republic
    Also, if you put the Wipeout XL PS1 game disc in your CD player, it has other tracks featured in the game, but not on the CD soundtrack.

oh yes, as a kid Wipeout XL was amazing and really got me in to so many of those artists. my dad used to play it too as he was a fan of electronic music.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    SPAWN: THE ALBUM

When 90s electronica was influencing everything, including rock music. One of the greatest periods for music.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7vMw4...TL-9INwLGF9XeQ

Props for Hackers and Trainspotting soundtracks, also faves of mine.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    oh yes, as a kid Wipeout XL was amazing and really got me in to so many of those artists. my dad used to play it too as he was a fan of electronic music.
    Oh, another cool tidbit, The Designers Republic who did all the artwork for the Wipeout soundtrack, also did the artwork for Fluke's album Risotto and single Atom Bomb, which an exclusive more stripped down mix appears on the Wipeout XL soundtrack. Fluke's album and single share artwork/themes with Wipeout XL, such as little characters that appear in the booklets and certain design aspects like font and such. The Atom Bomb music video also featured footage from the game and acted as a single to the soundtrack as well as Fluke's album. Fluke has another exclusive track on the XL soundtrack, not available anywhere else, called V Six.

I'm also a big lover of electronic music and their album Risotto is in my top 5 albums of all time. I highly suggest albums from any of the artists featured on Wipeout. You pretty much can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Don’t know if it’s “definitive”, but I love the Judgement Night soundtrack. Rap rock done properly.
    Happy Walters Jr. was behind the Judgment Night soundtrack. He also was behind the Spawn and Blade 2 soundtracks.

Judgment Night = rap/rock
    Spawn = rock/electronic
    Blade 2 = rap/electronic

If you like these mashing up of styles, I highly suggest these 3 soundtracks.
    Last edited by neorev; 02-27-2020 at 07:21 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    MORTAL KOMBAT!!!

duhduh duh duh duh duhduh duh

Sorry...

RUN LOLA RUN

PI

THE SAINT

THE JACKAL

THE CROW
    Last edited by neorev; 02-27-2020 at 05:21 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Boomers turned 30 to the Forrest Gump soundtrack in 1994.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/3LP0j...QGKeBWDDnCrHkQ
    Xennials went to Romeo+Juliet for their first date in 1996.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/6WOqY...Si6mH6-VQ9aGdg
    Gamers did 360 nollie heelflips to the THPS2 soundtrack in 2000.
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2E...R8itBGTysZ0Shg
    Gamers killed hookers to the GTA: San Andreas soundtrack in 2004.
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6o...QMSGUjiF3XAx6A
    Millennials moved into their college dorms to the Garden State soundtrack in 2004.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/24mCi...SOi3F0DXi9nIKA
    Last edited by brotha52; 02-27-2020 at 05:47 AM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    The first one got mentioned, but also, the soundtrack to Matrix: Reloaded.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'll pick two from 1994: Pulp Fiction and Natural Born Killers. Not only did EVERYONE buy them, but they also influenced the structure of soundtracks going forward by including special edits and snippets of dialogue.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The Breakfast Club soundtrack really defined that one episode of Futurama for me

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Judgement Night - popularization of rap-metal
    Spawn - popularization of "electronic" elements in rock/metal
    Last edited by mfte; 02-27-2020 at 02:17 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Mortal Kombat: mid-90's industrial rock and metal says hi

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    @Shadaloo , wouldn't you agree that "Drown" is the perfect closer to the Singles soundtrack?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Completely. One of my very favorite SP tunes, love the dreamy e-bowed out extended outro on the full version!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Batman Forever OST ('95) represents mid 90s music 'cause it got exclusive songs by PJ Harvey, Nick Cave, Wu-Tang, Mazzy Star, Massive Attack, Brandy, The Flaming Lips, U2, Sunny Day Real Estate, Offspring a. o.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Batman Forever OST ('95) represents mid 90s music 'cause it got exclusive songs by PJ Harvey, Nick Cave, Wu-Tang, Mazzy Star, Massive Attack, Brandy, The Flaming Lips, U2, Sunny Day Real Estate, Offspring a. o.
    We could start another thread that Batman Forever could be named in: Name a shitty movie or box office flop with a good soundtrack. I'd add Last Action Hero, which I did enjoy (film and soundtrack).

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Kiss From a Rose, love that song!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Singles - 90s Alternative

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    We could start another thread that Batman Forever could be named in: Name a shitty movie or box office flop with a good soundtrack. I'd add Last Action Hero, which I did enjoy (film and soundtrack).
    I'd add the Spawn soundtrack to that list. Fucking terrible movie, but great soundtrack.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    It has been a long time since I've seen it but I seem to remember that nearly none of those songs are in the movie, or if they are it's just very briefly in the background. The Seal song is prominent at one point and the U2 track is over the end credits, but otherwise those songs were just filler for the actual film or the soundtrack itself.

The 90's had probably more big movies with either similar or greater impact on the charts as it did the box office. The synergy of studios and record companies being housed within the same corporation helped greatly too, as did MTV, where videos suddenly could become 4-5 minute TV spots. The trend wore off pretty much by the mid-2000's.

I love the Last Action Hero soundtrack too. It's as bonkers as the movie in terms of the choice of groups/artists. Grunge and hair metal on the same disc, entwined with prog metal, thrash metal, hip hop.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post

I love the Last Action Hero soundtrack too. It's as bonkers as the movie in terms of the choice of groups/artists. Grunge and hair metal on the same disc, entwined with prog metal, thrash metal, hip hop.
    Only in '92/'93 could a soundtrack like that exist--Def Leppard and Alice In Chains.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Oh holy shit, I totally forgot I had this soundtrack. Aside from NIN, I was a big AIC fan, so I got this before seeing the film, just because. My 13 yr old inner child is revisiting this.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    For the grunge era, definitely the Singles soundtrack.
    Later, the Hackers soundtrack was big.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey- the end of hair metal, with a hint of other things, including the awesome Faith No More track "The Perfect Crime"
    Enicno Man- I don't care if this 1992 films is a corny film (a guilty pleasure of mine) but to have something like Jesus and Mary Chain, club music, and "I'm too Sexy" all on the same soundtrack is pure early 90's.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    The synergy of studios and record companies being housed within the same corporation helped greatly too, as did MTV, where videos suddenly could become 4-5 minute TV spots. The trend wore off pretty much by the mid-2000's.
    MTV's Amp was an amazing show for electronic music. They put out two compilations for the show that Hackers fans would probably love. Electronic music was so diverse back in the mid to late 90s with these compilations covering so many styles. Everything is so heavily genre based now, just dubstep or just trance or just IDM. I miss the old days.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I am still discovering digging deep into early to mid 90's electronica. I constantly find amazing songs.
    for instance, last year I discovered the song "Rockin' for Myself" from Motiv8. the song really dug me out of a dark place and it's a go to when I want my spirits uplifted. a feel good song with seriously excellent composition.

last week, came across a song by the Bassheads called "Is there anybody out there" which samples Pink Floyd, the Osmonds, Talking Heads, and Afrika Bambatta all in one track. how cool?

another track I came across last week, Hope- Tree Frog, which samples frogs in rhythm, with some feel good synths. sounds weird but it works!
    I'll watch club, warehouse , and outdoor rave videos from late 80's/early 90's to discover tracks. so much good stuff.