Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jazz!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Jazz!

One of my latest projects is give myself an education in jazz.
    I am familiar with the old school classics: Duke Ellington, Django Reinhardt, Stephane Grappelli, Cab Calloway, Fats Waller, Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis but I'd like to know more.
    What jazz are you into?
    Jazz recommendations from every era are more than welcome!

Lately I've been getting into Ornette Coleman, perhaps because I hear a lot of rock influence here:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Giant Steps by Jon Coltrane is awesome! Check it out, I've been getting into Charles Mingus and Dave Brubeck alot lately, as well!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm kinda in the same boat..I've been turned on to Jazz recently and I've been lookin for more. I've been on a big John Coltrane kick lately.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    check out Fats Waller too!!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    been listening to a lot of Mulatu Astatke lately

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Oh, I didn't know there was a jazz thread! It's the music I've been listening to the most lately (Well, I became 30 a few months ago, so...). Anyway, I strongly suggest checking out the Norwegian label ECM. It combines modern jazz music with world music and electronic, sometimes even industrial influences. So you never quite knew what you get. Some recommendations:

Nils Petter Molvaer - Khmer (trumpet with drum'n'bass)
    Jan Bang - And Poppies from Kandahar (A producer's first solo album, so it is a bit technical, maybe dry, but intellectually rewarding)
    Jon Hassell - Last Night the Moon Came Dropping its Clothes in the Street (very subtle & beautiful, let's call it ambient jazz with arabic influences)

I also recommend the Norwegian trumpet player Arve Henriksen and his improvisional band Supersilent, especially his solo-album Strjon (so much more than just jazz), and Supersilent 6 (Sigur Ros and Radiohead meet).

If german copyright laws weren't so strict, I'd post Youtube videos....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I find most modern and smooth Jazz to feel and sound plastic. I consider it a genre that has seen its best days, but those best days were breathtaking.

With that said this is one of the most unfair talent wise songs I've ever heard.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Jazz!

I really love jazz piano and I especially love Ahmad Jamal

Last edited by allegro; 11-23-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I've noticed he doesn't get mentioned very often...

Great Jazz from top to bottom!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Jazz!

Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I've noticed he doesn't get mentioned very often...

Great Jazz from top to bottom!
    I love Paul Desmond but a ton of jazz purists have always hated this album.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    LOVE Jazz! From old to new...

Billie Holiday is one of my personal favorites, Dave Brubeck, Miles, John, Mingus....ugh...can't get enough.

For new kinda neo-jazz, and I've mentioned this album on ETS before...it's fuckin' perfect. If you plan on going somewhere ridiculously late at night...

The whole album is mind-blowingly good...to me anyways. It's as if they took a 1940's noir movie and squeezed it on to tape.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I have a deep appreciation of Miles, who for my money is the single most innovative musician of the 20th century. I like some Coltrane, too. My Favorite Things and A Love Supreme more specifically. My prog rock leanings gravitate me towards fusion, I'm a big fan of early Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to Forever, Pat Metheny and a few others.

It was really through Steven Wilson's projects I got into Theo Travis, who with his band Double Talk has been making more of a prog-jazz-ambient (he also makes duet records with Robert Fripp) meld which I quite like.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    mingus mingus mingus mingus

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I love Paul Desmond but a ton of jazz purists have always hated this album.
    Really, why???

On Topic: I join those who appreciate Miles, i'll say his 5 best albums are:

1. Bitches Brew
    2. Live-Evil
    3. Kind of Blue
    4. On the corner
    5. Doo-Bop

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Really, why???

On Topic: I join those who appreciate Miles, i'll say his 5 best albums are:

1. Bitches Brew
    2. Live-Evil
    3. Kind of Blue
    4. On the corner
    5. Doo-Bop
    My interest in jazz began with Miles. I wanted to know what Kind of Blue was all about, because it was on so many best-album lists. It still holds up well today while 'traditional' jazz, i.e. swing & bop, bores me a little. So first I checked out Miles' long career, and then I checked out his 'disciples' and their disciples, i.e. from John Coltrane to Pharoah Sanders, also Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea and John McLaughlin. Then I tried Miles' spiritual successors, Jon Hassell, Arve Henriksen and Nils Petter Molvaer. Miles really had an eye for talent and he attracted them.
    My top 5 probably looks like this:
    1. In a Silent Way
    2. Agharta
    3. On the Corner
    4. Dark Magus
    5. Bitches Brew

But there is so much more must-hear music: 'What I'd Say' from Live-Evil, 'He Loved him Madly' from Get Up With It, Sketches from Spain... also: The Complete On the Corner Sessions. If one looks around, one can find it...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    RIP Dave Brubeck.

Fucking. Bummed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    RIP Dave Brubeck.

Fucking. Bummed.
    He's not dead, he's just taking five..

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    if you want to check out some more avant-garde stuff, look into john zorn (and all associated projects). there's a whole ton of music there.

the "spillane" half of goddard/spillane, as well as "the bribe" are both fantastic, but a bit weird. there's a lot of weird stuff in his catalogue, so do some research into what you'd like to hear.

if you're looking for more straight-forward jazz from him, listen to Masada (Masada String Trio & Bar Kokhba, as well). jewish-influenced, and the core group is zorn on sax, dave douglas on trumpet, joey baron on drums, and greg cohen on bass.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    RIP Dave Brubeck.

Fucking. Bummed.
    So sad,

R.I.P.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Gene Krupa

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Jazz!

aw yeah Gene was one of my childhood idol drummers.

also Buddy Rich. I saw Buddy play live twice when I was a kid. I had a drum set like his in this video:

^ Aw, jesus, I can watch that dozens of times and marvel at his ability to do EFFORTLESS perfect buzz rolls. BUZZ ROLLS ARE A BITCH!!!!
    Last edited by allegro; 12-13-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    That's very interesting, thanks!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    2012 Thread reawakening...

Ive been on a major Miles kick the past 2 weeks. I mean diving DEEP into the catalog, not just the typical Columbia records.

I even went so far as to buy the BD Audio of his soundtrack for Ascenseur pour I'Echafaud and bout the Criterion DVD. Such an amazing score, really puts you in Paris in the 50s.

Here's MIles, improvising the score

Also, if this "sequel" to Taxi Driver ever happens that Scorsese has mentioned, Bohren should score it. "Sunset Mission" reminds me so much of Taxi Driver especially On Demon Wings.
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 03-18-2014 at 07:30 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    For me it's all about Herbie Hancock. This collection http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/arti...0#.UyjKxfl_v8o is glorious and I'm enjoying albums that I have never heard before. Wonderful.
    TBH I know fuck all aboot jazz, I have a load of Herbie, but other than that it's a handful of Miles Davis albums.
    Being a Prince fan I suppose I can say that I quite enjoy his instrumental albums, but I guess they are more jazz(y) funk shit. Good though.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Hmm.

No Billie Holiday thread so I guess I'll just put this here.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    I'm not going to pretend I know much about jazz, but I will say that Art Blakey & The Jazz Messangers "Moanin" is my ring tone and Kids On The Slope is an amazing jazz themed anime.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Does anyone know what happened to Sunset Mission by Bohren & Der Club Of Gore? It has disappeared from Spotify, iTunes and the physical CD is no longer available from Amazon.

I ask because this is their best selling album and very strange to just disappear like this. Reissue? I hope they finally release this on vinyl. Although knowing this band...highly doubtful.