Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Type O Negative

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    It’s that time of year!

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    @ManBurning - new APHND album is out on the 19th. Here’s one of the first reviews (8/10). Interesting that they don’t mention “The Woods,” as I think that’s going to be the first music video.

http://allabouttherock.co.uk/a-pale-...ecomes-undone/

A Pale Horse Named Death – When The World Becomes Undone

3rd January 2019 0 By DONK New York City Doom with tender harmonies and riffs that could literally crush bones!
    Doom intros tend to fall into two categories, either A, ones of epic proportions or B, there isn’t an intro, this album has the one in category A! It has a torturous and malevolent feel to it. The chanting, water dripping and cries give you the feeling of walking through a world of fear and pain. Which leads down a sorrowful path culminating with a piano on the title track ‘When The World Becomes Undone’. This track has many faces. The eerie piano leads to a thumping, crushing riff which continues for several bars before lending into a very doomy and emotive guitar part. With each second that passes in the main body of the track, even though it’s a fairly standard verse, chorus, verse song, it has so many levels to it that are accentuated with layers of vocal and piercing effects.

We head on feet first in to the album with some excellent songs. Love The Ones You Hate, Vultures and End Of Days being prime examples of tracks that you can listen too on repeat without fear of them blowing and loosing interest in. I love how End Of Daysbuilds as a song. The slow, deliberate tempo with a driven bass leading the way, ending in a crushing wall of fuzz.
    One continuous theme through the entire album is the feeling of eeriness, whether between the tracks, footsteps, crunching through a wood or a harmonic feedback, there is something there that makes the hair stand on end and look over your shoulder in-case your being followed by some other world apocalyptic creature or cult.
    Lay With The Wicked, Splinters and We All Break Down add some solemn proceedings to the album with a much more intense, thought-provoking feel. Then Dreams Of The End comes along and takes you on an epic journey of some of the darkest, most hidden corners of the mind. Listening to it is like walking through a Labyrinth of your worst fears, not knowing what is around the next corner or where the door leading from the nightmare is!
    For me though the stand out track is Fell In My Hole, from the intro riff to the hook I thoroughly enjoyed every part of the song. Big guitars, solemn solos, driven bass and huge drums accompanying the vocals tick every box for me.
    This album has something fresh and exciting to it. Something that makes you want to listen to it time and time again and not be bored or fed up with it. Something that makes you check over your shoulder when getting off the bus in the middle of nowhere in the dark.
    It’s not for everyone, but it is for me.
    Score 8/10

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    ^ First release of the year on my "most anticipated records", Looking forward to giving it a spin!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Happy Birthday Pete, would've been 57 today :')

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Happy Birthday Pete, would've been 57 today :')
    That’s hard to get my head around.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I enjoyed their last two records so I'll check this out.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    New Greek interview about When The World Becomes Undone -

http://www.rockway.gr/synenteykseis/...se-named-death

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    A funny little video of Sal promoting the new record while enjoying some red: https://tinyurl.com/ybgteftf
    Last edited by Erneuert; 01-11-2019 at 07:38 PM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Sal’s upcoming third album with A Pale Horse Named Death is sounding really amazing - “When The World Becomes Undone”.

First single, “Love The Ones You Hate”:

The second single, “Vultures”, premiered today:

World premiere of the title track, When The World Becomes Undone:

http://www.metalinjection.net/av/new...becomes-undone

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Well now this is pretty amazing:

https://gleam.io/xHdzn/type-o-negative-tattoo-giveaway

• ​Original Members of TYPE O NEGATIVE are coming to New York and they want to tattoo you! Revolver and Inked Magazines have teamed up with legendary NYC tattoo shop East Side Ink to offer one fan the prize of a lifetime. One lucky winner will get a custom Type O Negative tattoo and Type O Negative merch from their upcoming collection. As if that's not enough, the winner will meet Sal and Johnny later that night at their new band's, A Pale Horse Named Death, record release show at Mercury Lounge in Manhattan. Enter now for a chance to win!

​One Winner Will Receive

• ​A custom Type O Negative tattoo from East Side Ink
    • A meet and greet with Sal Abruscato + Johnny Kelly
    • Two (2) tickets the A Pale Horse Named Death show on 1/18
    • Brand new Type O Negative merch
    • A one-year subscription to REVOLVER Magazine
    • Bragging rights for life!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Type O Negative merch from their upcoming collection
    Ears freaking perking up over here

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Yeah, I’m wondering what that’s about too. The most recent thing they did was for the Bloody Kisses 2018 RSD release (interview with Kenny below). Man, as much as I dig Kenny’s vocals, I just found Seventh Void (and now this upcoming Silvertomb project) just nowhere as good musically as what Sal is doing with APHND. “Last Walk In The Light” by Seventh Void was truly incredible, though (the last track on Heaven Is Gone).

Don’t get me wrong, though. The one proper song Silvertomb have put out so far, “Insomnia,” is incredible!

Last edited by Erneuert; 01-11-2019 at 07:34 PM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Should we make a thread just for APHND?

The new title track is amazing.

Some news about touring which really excites me. TON never toured Austalia. @elevenism - to have Johnny and Sal here will make a childhood dream almost come true!

From FB: “APHND is proud to join Artery Global Booking Agency Family for Europe, UK, Asia & Australia.”
    Last edited by Erneuert; 01-15-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    @Erneuert - drip, drip, drip - The new Pale horse record has finally graced the surface of the internet.
    I have it downloaded, but no time to listen to it tonight. Will be giving it a spin on my way to work tomorrow.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    I’m giving it my first spin now. The intro track is amazingly haunting.

I love how every song is listed as explicit, haha:

Just starting “Fell In My Hole” now and I can already tell this is going to be an instant classic record.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Holy shit, “The Woods”’ is like the even more evil cousin of “Fay Wray Come Out And Play” from Bloody Kisses!

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    “Dreams Of The End” and “Closure” both totally just kicked my ass. The former is extremely TON-sounding. Also very fond of “Lay With The Wicked”.

My only complaint is that the vocals are very buried in a couple of the songs like “Vultures” and “Splinters”.

”Succumbing To The Event Horizon” is a really eerie interlude that reminds me a lot of Gary Numan’s recent instrumentals.

”Closure” is the audio from a real funeral according to Sal.
    Last edited by Erneuert; 01-17-2019 at 06:35 PM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    It’s now up for streaming on Kerrang! -

https://www.kerrang.com/features/str...ing-new-album/

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    9 years ago today, Pete.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah, from Bloody Kisses on I loved looking forward to that next Type O album and I was never disappointed. When I was on their message board back in the day, Josh said there's nothing in the vault left to be released, but I hope he was lying.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    Yeah, from Bloody Kisses on I loved looking forward to that next Type O album and I was never disappointed. When I was on their message board back in the day, Josh said there's nothing in the vault left to be released, but I hope he was lying.
    The thing that makes me think there is more is from this YouTube comment he made, namely the part where he says he will take such and such to the grave. It’s from the October Rust prerelease mixes video:

Josh NotSilver
    I have not commented on a Youtube video in years, to the point where I forgot my old username and even the email address I used. That said, I signed up once again in order to clarify a couple of things about this video and the music thereof. These are things that have been stated as fact for a matter of record before, but the details-- minor to some, important to me-- have gotten lost somewhere along the line, either by design or by accident.

Here, once again, are the facts about this music and the original source recording:
    These October Rust songs are NOT a Promo Version as stated in the title. They are simply pre-master, pre-release mixes that Peter had recordings of in his collection. Obviously, different mix levels were used for various tracks, and it is a great mix to listen to that is a nice change from the album.

These tracks were recorded onto a Maxell Studio MS-60 cassette tape by Peter in his home in Brooklyn. The tape was made not for Elizabeth as stated somewhere here as a response to a question, but for me to give as a Christmas present to my dying wife. She and I were friends of Peter's, and we thanked (and blamed) him, and the band, for our marriage. This tape (and some other rarities which shall with me to my grave), was made to try and bring a bit of peace and happiness to her sad heart in the Christmas season of 1997, as both Peter and I knew it would certainly be her last. This is the same reason he had provided me with the pre-production un-edited VHS tape (and artwork) of the material which would end up being After Dark. Those videos are available for viewing here on Youtube as well now.

The "banter" between Peter and Elizabeth takes place in the confines of the short distance between the kitchen and the "living room"/den area as Peter tried to figure out how to dub the tape. As Andy Witmyer has pointed out here in a reply, there is a sad irony to the prophetic "Sorry" said by Elizabeth. I stated the exact thing, word for word, elsewhere years ago, and if I recall correctly, it was in my Ebay listing for the cassette tape. I'm certainly not going to sue for plagiarism, much like the fact I didn't sue Peter, despite his spiraling drug-fueled paranoias and conspiracies as time went on, for "It's Never Enough" when it was finally released on Least Worst after being cut from World Coming Down due to time limitations. I am not out to make money or to claim any fame, as I am truly to old to care anymore. I would, perhaps, like the courtesy of acknowledgement as to the fact about certain things on the tape...

Pictures Of Matchstick Men was made for Peter's own amusement, nothing more. There was spare time paid for at the studio in Brooklyn after completing the music bed for the song, which was later mailed to L.A. for Ozzy to lay his vocal tracks on. Peter had the studio record his vocs because he liked the original song as done by the band Status Quo. As a matter of note, the cassette tape for this Youtube recording was listed on one side as "Status Quo Type O" on one side, "Type O Diff MIx" on the other, written by Peter. Nothing indicated a "promo version."
    Peter made several copies at the time of P.O.M.M. with his vocs, one of which was destroyed later by Elizabeth, one of which went to one of his sisters, and a couple which went to friends.

I'm pleased to see that over 20,000 (holy SHIT!) people have had the chance to enjoy these rarities and variations. It's shocking, in a way, to look back and realize that I used to leave the original cassette in my tape player of the MR2 I had back then (that Peter would never fit in) on hot summer days after Shela died, or pass it around from friend to friend to friends of friends to listen to, sometimes not knowing who had it, for weeks at a time. Thankfully, I got this one back and tucked it away for years in safekeeping in a box of Type O memories before deciding to sell it.
    Those of you who hear it now are the lucky ones.

For some of us, luck has run out, and the meaningful parts of life have run their courses.
    But memories will remain for as long as the brain allows, though diminishing daily with the cells that wither.............

With sadness, and respect and love to Peter Steele.
    I'm glad the music is still here.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I miss this band so much...

Will A Pale Horse Named Death scratch that TON itch? I've heard different things from different people. For example, my childhood friend who introduced me to TON does not like APHND.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I miss this band so much...

Will A Pale Horse Named Death scratch that TON itch? I've heard different things from different people. For example, my childhood friend who introduced me to TON does not like APHND.
    Pretty much if you like these you’ll like APHND. “Die Alone” is incredible.

And, one of my personal depressing favorites:

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Pretty much if you like these you’ll like APHND. “Die Alone” is incredible.
    Just finished And Hell Will Follow. "Die Alone" is that incredible payoff at the end of the album for those wanting that Type O Negative vibe. The first half is mediocre (I enjoyed "Cracks In The Walls"), but the second half is straight excellent. I enjoyed "Pill Head" through "Die Alone".

Something that struck me, parts of this remind me of Melvins and Monster Magnet (the drug references). You only linked 1 song from the first album, so I'm anxious to dive in further.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Just finished And Hell Will Follow. "Die Alone" is that incredible payoff at the end of the album for those wanting that Type O Negative vibe. The first half is mediocre (I enjoyed "Cracks In The Walls"), but the second half is straight excellent. I enjoyed "Pill Head" through "Die Alone".

Something that struck me, parts of this remind me of Melvins and Monster Magnet (the drug references). You only linked 1 song from the first album, so I'm anxious to dive in further.
    There’s also this little goodie from the vinyl only version of the debut:

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Bloody Kisses is getting another repress and it looks like its just a copy of the 2018 RSD release, right down to the green/black marbling of the vinyl.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    This is the same reason he had provided me with the pre-production un-edited VHS tape (and artwork) of the material which would end up being After Dark. Those videos are available for viewing here on Youtube as well now.
    Excuse me what?

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Excuse me what?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Having a band like Type O around would be so refreshing with the abundance of same-ish heavier music festival lineups in the U.S.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Having a band like Type O around would be so refreshing with the abundance of same-ish heavier music festival lineups in the U.S.
    They truly are missed, especially live...