Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Death From Above 1979

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Just secured my tickets for the San Diego show....I am FINALLY going to see this damn band live.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    so, an unfortunate thing happened yesterday - https://medium.com/@stevemanimalhers...t-44885a0dfb62

BUT it turns out it was largely bullshit (as indicated by the new addendum at the top of the article), so i feel a lot better

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    so, an unfortunate thing happened yesterday - https://medium.com/@stevemanimalhers...t-44885a0dfb62

BUT it turns out it was largely bullshit (as indicated by the new addendum at the top of the article), so i feel a lot better
    Man, that's crazy...good on him for denouncing that shit.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    DFA in San Diego tonight!!

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Wow, talk about a shit show last night. I ended up walking out of the concert after 5 songs due to how shitty they sounded. Both looked bored and just going through the motions. Sebastian's voice kept cracking and had very little energy while Jesse also looked like he didn't want to be there and played off-key. I have been looking forward to finally seeing these guys live and after seeing all the various footage of them I thought I was going to have a hell of a time. Unfortunately this was not case...Has anyone else seen them on this current tour?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Wow, talk about a shit show last night. I ended up walking out of the concert after 5 songs due to how shitty they sounded. Both looked bored and just going through the motions. Sebastian's voice kept cracking and had very little energy while Jesse also looked like he didn't want to be there and played off-key. I have been looking forward to finally seeing these guys live and after seeing all the various footage of them I thought I was going to have a hell of a time. Unfortunately this was not case...Has anyone else seen them on this current tour?
    they had a weird energy at riot fest. played well but spent so much time just bullshitting in between songs. but nothing like what you described.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Saw them in NY last month and last year. Had a great time at both.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I just listened to their new album yesterday and it was awesome! I think it was better than the last one and it's the only album this year that didn't disappoint me. Better than the new releases by NIN, Primus, Android Lust, and Marilyn Manson. It's nice to look forward to listening to it again, rather than trying to find something to like on a poor album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Still the album of the year for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Did anyone rip a high quality version of Keep It Real Dumb?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpiral View Post
    Did anyone rip a high quality version of Keep It Real Dumb?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I sorta re-discovered The Physical World recently after not listening to it in a long time... and damn! What a great album! Solid from start to finish. My favorite album of theirs by far!

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Saw them in NY last month and last year. Had a great time at both.
    saw them last Wednes and while we all had a blast the sound really was subpar that evening. Both played well and very energized but Jesse's bass was way too lout, which is funny as this is what drew me into DFA from the beginning. But it was just a constant drone filling the room and you could barely hear the melodies. Yet it was super nice to meet the band afterwards and hang out for a bit. Oh the jealousy from my friends, but though luck if you leave seconds after the show ended. As my magazine presented the show and did all kinds of promotion they were very thankful, sharing beers and some insane stories from the stage.

Not as good as their show in 2014 by far, but that band reclaimed a special place in my heart either way since they are back.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Just noticed their twitter acccount has disappeared. I haven't heard anything about them for a while, I wonder if they're still a going concern. I really need to listen to that last album!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Just noticed their twitter acccount has disappeared. I haven't heard anything about them for a while, I wonder if they're still a going concern. I really need to listen to that last album!
    It's killer. Might just be my tastes, but it's my favourite of theirs.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Supposedly they have a new album done but it's just waiting for Covid to not be a thing

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I somewhat understand the desire to hold onto the new record until touring can commence in support of the album, but I wish bands wouldn't hold their new music back. No concerts for the foreseeable future is bad enough, at least let us have new music while we endure this insane year of being locked down amid a global pandemic.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Reckon the twitter thing might be because DFA Records are having a pop at them again? I know they dropped the "1979" bit recently to see what would happen.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I hated typing out the 1979 when I first started listening to these dudes but over the years I've come to love it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    they’re still a pretty small band I guess in the scheme of things so I could forgive them holding back the music to maximise their return which might be not much in the best case anyway.

Maybe the DFA name spat is why the handle has been deleted from twitter?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    They deleted all insta posts too.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Can anyone recall whether “outrage is now” came with a download code?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    No idea.

Outrage was fantastic though. Seb really took over. The drums, lyrics and vocals really took the forefront on that album. Whereas I feel Jesse’s bass lines drove the previous albums.

its hard to rank because I really love The Physical World. But....

Outrage! Is Now
    The Physical World
    You’re a Woman, I’m a Machine

I guess they keep getting better!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Haven't listened to these guys in awhile, but new music is always welcome from them. All three albums are solid and yes, they're hard to rank lol

I gotta listen to them now to give proper feedback, but I rememeber absolutely loving You're a Woman, I'm a Machine.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    1. Woman Machine
    2. Outrage
    3. Physical World

This is the only correct answer.

I was at the hardware store the other day and thought "remember MSTRKRFT?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    MSTRKRFT actually just dropped a new album 3 weeks ago, haven’t given it a proper spin yet, but sounds hard hitting from my brief skim through.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    1. Woman Machine
    2. Outrage
    3. Physical World

This is the only correct answer.

Mostly agree but let's not leave Heads Up out. For me that ep is number 1 or 2.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Mostly agree but let's not leave Heads Up out. For me that ep is number 1 or 2.
    I completely forgot about that EP and just grabbed it again. Short and sweet; I enjoy this EP more than Physical World and that is still a solid release.

Woman/Machine
    Outrage
    Heads Up
    Physical

This is a good one too off the Romantic Rights EP.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Their first EP is great.
    Dead Womb is one of my fav song by them.

Did anyone see that Life after Death From Above movie?
    Last edited by mfte; 11-24-2020 at 07:31 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Damn, i just found out they had a third record i've never heard, shame on me!

*EDIT*

My gosh, it's fuckin' great!
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 11-24-2020 at 01:05 PM.