Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 315

Thread: Controversial Cinema-Related Opinions

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    324
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    ...how do you know whether or not Lynch is "being himself?" Do you know him personally? How do you know when it's genuine and when it's contrived?
    Not to get into an epistemological debate about it, but that he's been pretty consistently himself back through Eraserhead and his earlier short works, that (as Hulk above mentioned) he maintains a sort of consistent through-line that shows even in the more 'conventional' projects, and that the people who've worked with him in any capacity corroborate his essential weirdness, provides a pretty good basis.

    However, when you start getting into a Director's actual mind and actual intent, you begin to go off the reservation.
    That you're couching it in terms of "it seems" doesn't change that this is exactly what you've been doing.
    Last edited by Corvus T. Cosmonaut; 09-13-2012 at 10:42 PM.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Salinas, CA
    Posts
    403
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    You know, I find it odd that people are reacting the way they are. It's the controversial movie opinion thread, no the popular movie opinion thread. That said are you ready for this one?

    I hate Indiana Jones movies. They are all trash.... the Last Crusade was alright. But I just find them boring. And, you know what? The fourth one isn't any different than the others. It's over the top kitsch just like the others. But at least Crystal Skull has a way of embracing it's kitschiness that the others don't. I never got what everyone hated so much about that one versus liked about the others.

    James Bond: Way better.
    I enjoyed the original trilogy for mindless fun; nothing original, though. For me, Crystal Skull was going one too many times to the well. I hear they may make another one, unfortunately. By the way, when you mention "James Bond" do you mean all of the versions or do you have a particular actor that you favor, as Bond, over the others?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    324
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I never got what everyone hated so much about that one versus liked about the others.
    I think some people felt like it had defied some kind of inner consistency, and for a lot of people the aliens were a bridge too far. I don't know why people respond to aliens as being too far out while the supernatural religious stuff is fine (actually, I do know why, and it's silly), but that seems to be one of the dominant complaints. Aside from that, the jungle car action sequence was too blue-screened and ridiculous, even by Jones standards, and the blue-screen/CGI stuff throughout generally just gave it a sort of uneasy Vaseline quality that's hard to describe and even harder to swallow.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    I enjoyed the original trilogy for mindless fun; nothing original, though.
    Well, going back to them now they don't feel that way, but the Indiana Jones were pretty original and startling when they were released. The style was old, from the adventure serials of like the 1930s, but the way it was implemented and brought to screen was new. Between Spielberg with Jones and Jaws and Lucas with Star Wars the whole summer blockbuster thing and all the ramifications of that business model were created.
    Last edited by Corvus T. Cosmonaut; 09-13-2012 at 10:59 PM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Posts
    1,991
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    I enjoyed the original trilogy for mindless fun; nothing original, though. For me, Crystal Skull was going one too many times to the well. I hear they may make another one, unfortunately. By the way, when you mention "James Bond" do you mean all of the versions or do you have a particular actor that you favor, as Bond, over the others?
    I recently started watching through the Bond movies again, and I guess I cave to the popular opinion that the connery ones are the best. But I grew up with Brosnan, and I'm enjoyed the Daniel Craig one's. BUT, and here's where this thread comes full circle, License to Kill is one of my favorites. Like top 3 or 4.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Salinas, CA
    Posts
    403
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I recently started watching through the Bond movies again, and I guess I cave to the popular opinion that the connery ones are the best. But I grew up with Brosnan, and I'm enjoyed the Daniel Craig one's. BUT, and here's where this thread comes full circle, License to Kill is one of my favorites. Like top 3 or 4.
    Dalton in you top 3-4? Definitely an interesting opinion. I actually favor the gritty Craig version, myself; even over Connery. I'm glad Skyfall is getting released, given the recent studio issues that occurred, almost derailing the franchise.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bayonne Leave It Alone
    Posts
    2,467
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    jesus christ please close this thread.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,829
    Mentioned
    756 Post(s)
    Ha, no way, Abominari (n/k/a Corvus) needs to TAKE OVER THIS THREAD, BITCHES!!

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Batman Begins is the best Batman movie ever made.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    476
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by S. Chonson View Post
    Batman Begins is the best Batman movie ever made.
    Batman Returns is the best Batman movie! Nolan can be as realistic and gritty as possible, he will never match the darkness of this movie.


    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    I'm a fan of the entire franchise and hate the theme song as much as anyone, but Star Trek: Enterprise is the best TV series of the bunch, imho.
    Wow, this certainly is controversial.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    I dislike pretty much everything David Lynch has done. From miniature old people, to "The Wizard of Oz" metaphors: Another guy who seems like he merely wants to be weird for its own sake.
    Lynch is never weird for its own sake! Not that this is a bad thing, I like Wes Anderson very much.


    Also, A Clockwork Orange is a despicable movie and unnecessarily tacky... "Oh, he slays her with a penis statue, get it?....Get it?"

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,033
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ambergris View Post
    Batman Returns is the best Batman movie! Nolan can be as realistic and gritty as possible, he will never match the darkness of this movie.
    Personally, I really don't like Returns at all. Batman is a two-dimensional guest star in his own film, the portrayal of Penguin is just plain hard to watch (not necessarily condemning Danny DeVito's performance - it's the way he eats fish more than anything else...) yet dominates most of the movie, and it's three waterskied metres over a great white on the silliness scale. Generally speaking, in my opinion it's more of a Tim Burton film than a Batman one... that's not a terribly controversial viewpoint though from what I've heard.
    One thing I'll laud that film for though is the portrayal of Catwoman, and the dynamic between her and Bruce. Pfeiffer is incredible (screw Nicholson, she gives the finest pre-Nolan series performance as far as I'm concerned), and there's a real tension and chemistry between the two.

    What I love about Begins is that it's a film about Bruce Wayne, it's not dominated by the colourful rogues gallery. Batman's at its best when the focus is on the titular character in my opinion.


    Anyway, on topic, I think Revenge Of The Sith is the best Star Wars movie. Serpentine plotting with massive pay-offs, some of the series' strongest emotional elements, and great lightsaber fights. Jaw-dropping opening sequence too, especially in the cinema. As much as Empire Strikes Back has going for it, like the rest of the original trilogy it's always felt rather slow and a bit of a chore. To me, at least...

    And just to round out the controversy, in my opinion Brosnan's the best Bond, Tree Of Life's the best Malick film and highlight of 2011, and I thought Daredevil was fairly decent. Yeah, I said it.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,719
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Ha, no way, Abominari (n/k/a Corvus) needs to TAKE OVER THIS THREAD, BITCHES!!
    Ha! I was wondering where he'd got to.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt: I like the guy, decent actor, not my favorite by far, comes across as a little too easy going, hasn't quite washed off that annoying child actor aura during interviews (and looks like a kiss ass on sets); shows up in a little too many trailers lately and seems to play the same "decent guy" character in every fucking movie. Fuck him.
    Last edited by hobochic; 09-15-2012 at 05:52 AM.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Shyamalans's ill-recieved The Village is a fucking masterpiece and pure cinematic perfection. Escapism at its best.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
    I think The Godfather & Scarface are the two most overrated movies in all of cinema history, and I can't stand either one of them.
    I like the former but yes, Scarface, while not a bad movie, does seem like an overlong tv movie, the hype suggested to me that it was a classy beast ala godfather.

    I like david lynch but Inland Empire was shit - he is either all the way insane or he is laughing at you. I loved listening to the musos in the bar afterwards insisting they loved it but being very careful to not elaborate as to exactly why. Fantastic performance from Laura Dern though.

    Star wars is a tatty, silly film. 6/10 affair. Love the empire strikes back, but dismayed at how the first one usually polls higher. Also I love the indy movies, but temple of doom was dire.

    Prometheus is as good as the original trilogy, and people who pick holes in it never apply the same degree of scrutiny to the old films (which are just as full of holes, if not more).

    Daniel craig is the best bond, roger moore is good in everything else but was a shit bond and his films were mostly one long joke.

    Kevin smith isnt amazing, but he's not as bad as it has become cool to insist he is

    Kill bill was utter shit, inglorious was far better
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus T. Cosmonaut View Post
    The style was old, from the adventure serials of like the 1930s, but the way it was implemented and brought to screen was new.
    All credit for saturday matinee as event movie goes to lucas, spielberg saw the potential of the format and approached him

    But yep jaws and wars set the template which endures

    Also i like the nolan movies, they are really great... But they just don't feel like batman. I don't really like the first burton movie, but batman returns remains most true to my ideal of what batman should feel like.
    and i know the nolan films are far more complex, discussing very batmanny issues like fear & identity, power & society etc etc blah blah, but it just doesn't feel like and extension of the comics the way returns did.

    It's a bit like the new doctor who, which is good on it's own, but has zero of the atmosphere or feel of the old show
    Last edited by Sutekh; 09-15-2012 at 05:57 AM.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,033
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketScience View Post
    Shyamalans's ill-recieved The Village is a fucking masterpiece and pure cinematic perfection. Escapism at its best.
    At the very least, that film is stunningly beautiful. Really need to pick it up on Blu-Ray.

  16. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    vienna
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ah, what a great thread!

    I DO NOT get any of the sudden love and attention Tom Hardy seems to get. If you watch any interview with him, you will realize that he comes of as your typical "rich kid gone bad" douchebag, who takes himself way too seriously and puts myspace-style crotchshots of himself on the internet. I mean, just read this paragraph from his biography: "He developed an alcohol abuse problem as a teenager, wound up expelled from one school, periodically spent nights in jail cells for disorderly conduct, and even found himself arrested and facing serious charges for stealing a car and gun possession - all while still a teenager. He avoided doing hard time, he later said, only because his co-conspirator was the son of a British diplomat."

    That's not the kind of guy that I'm gonna find all awesome and sexy. And he isn't even a good actor either.

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I loved The Village, because to me, the movie embodied a utopia within earth. But it still needed the fear of the unknown, to entrap them and medical science to save one of them. Much like most religions.

    Maybe I've read too much into the themes, but it's all too beautiful of a coincidence.

  18. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tate the great View Post
    Ah, what a great thread!

    I DO NOT get any of the sudden love and attention Tom Hardy seems to get. If you watch any interview with him, you will realize that he comes of as your typical "rich kid gone bad" douchebag, who takes himself way too seriously and puts myspace-style crotchshots of himself on the internet. I mean, just read this paragraph from his biography: "He developed an alcohol abuse problem as a teenager, wound up expelled from one school, periodically spent nights in jail cells for disorderly conduct, and even found himself arrested and facing serious charges for stealing a car and gun possession - all while still a teenager. He avoided doing hard time, he later said, only because his co-conspirator was the son of a British diplomat."

    That's not the kind of guy that I'm gonna find all awesome and sexy. And he isn't even a good actor either.
    Either which way, he still has the discipline to take on different roles and carry them out well. I get what you're saying, but he has managed to "see the light" and become a very solid actor. You just need to look at his transition from "Inception" to "Warrior", to see that he does have some talent.

  19. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,719
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Watch Bronson and tell me the guy isn't a good actor.

  20. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    2,932
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Fucking rights, he slayed it in that one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njg82VExdw4

  21. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tate the great View Post
    Ah, what a great thread!

    I DO NOT get any of the sudden love and attention Tom Hardy seems to get. And he isn't even a good actor either.
    Im sorry but if you have seen his 2006 film Stuart -A Life Backwards with Benedict Cumberbatch in which he plays a psychotic homeless Heroin Addict, you will see he is an extraordinary actor. One of the best performances i have ever seen so realistic.
    He is captivating in that Vulnerable, terrifying and likeable in equal measure. He was like a young Gary Oldman. I remember thinking this guy is going to be huge.

    I dont like him in interviews that much either he seems all over the place, but on film i think he is better than Leo Dicaprio, Ryan Gosling or other Hollywood A List studs.
    He can bring out a very real usually dark presence.
    I hope he chooses his roles well. And does not get sucked into bad Hollywood films, he spent years doing some great British T.V films, when he could have been in Hollywood.

  22. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    853
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    V For Vendetta was a boring movie and not the "epic" everyone told me it was.
    Tree Of Life is the most beautiful film I've ever seen.
    Watchmen, while holding to many of the great images of the novel, was a terrible movie.
    Wes Anderson is a genius.

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    V for vendetta looked nice but I think it missed the point of the book, ie fascism is opportunistic and needs the exact right conditions and a suspension of plurality/democracy/choice to survive, whereas liberty/anarchy is something people gravitate towards whether times are good or bad, and in that sense it will always endure. Basically fascism needs to be handed power whereas freedom is like a force of nature. I can't really remember the film much, but didn't they make the BUF type party a bunch of bible bashers? And also it's inferred that global civilisation still exists. For me that dilutes the message a bit

  24. #54
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    728
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Jurassic Park is a movie about dinosaurs...with hardly any dinosaurs.
    My ass! Jurassic Park is full of dinosaurs, and it has the great bonus that even when you're not looking at the prehistoric reptiles you are at least watching some pretty amazing actors. I mean, Jeff Goldblum, Sam Neill, Laura Dern, and even freaking Richard Attenborough! It doesn't get much better than this.

    It's probably the best dinosaur movie ever made.

  25. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Plus samuel l jackson, wayne knight, greg peck... It has a really great cast

    I know everyone says this, but isn't it weird how the special effects look really real & kick the shit out of most depictions of dinosaurs that have emerged since then?

  26. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,667
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    One can not say this often enough to encourage people to combine real practical effects with CGI to get the best results! Look at Guilermo del Toro and how well this works for his movies!

    I rewatched JP a few days ago though and I have to say that it HAS indeed aged. But only a bit and it still has the best looking and most believable dinosaurs in any movie to date. the lost world comes next and even that lousy JP3 has some of the best looking, but ultimately already too cgi-like animals in it.

  27. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Personally, I really don't like Returns at all. Batman is a two-dimensional guest star in his own film, the portrayal of Penguin is just plain hard to watch (not necessarily condemning Danny DeVito's performance - it's the way he eats fish more than anything else...) yet dominates most of the movie, and it's three waterskied metres over a great white on the silliness scale. Generally speaking, in my opinion it's more of a Tim Burton film than a Batman one... that's not a terribly controversial viewpoint though from what I've heard.
    One thing I'll laud that film for though is the portrayal of Catwoman, and the dynamic between her and Bruce. Pfeiffer is incredible (screw Nicholson, she gives the finest pre-Nolan series performance as far as I'm concerned), and there's a real tension and chemistry between the two.
    A lot of people would argue that Returns is more about the Batman character as the two villains act as cyphers for him.

    With Penguin being the alternative outcome to the rich orphan and Catwoman being the alternate outcome to the masked vigilante. They act in exploring where Bruce Wayne draws the line in becoming Batman and where he could and can go wrong.

    Also using the "it's more of a Tim Burton film than a Batman one" as any kind of argument against those movies seems to me outrageously ridiculous when you consider Nolan made Batman films so much Nolan films that he couldn't include the range of Batman's exceptionally strong rogues gallery.

  28. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Segmentum Obscurus
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    My ass! Jurassic Park is full of dinosaurs, and it has the great bonus that even when you're not looking at the prehistoric reptiles you are at least watching some pretty amazing actors. I mean, Jeff Goldblum, Sam Neill, Laura Dern, and even freaking Richard Attenborough! It doesn't get much better than this.

    It's probably the best dinosaur movie ever made.
    Jurassic Park kicks serious ass. All of the dinosaurs have held up remarkably well...the T-Rex still leaves me in awe. However, the sequels have not held up as well for me. The dinos still look good, but I just don't get into the story as much as I used to. I was never a big fan of JP3, and like it less every time I happen to see it on tv.

  29. #59
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    728
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    ^^^
    A always hated JP2: The Lost World, simply because the story didn't live up to the high standards the first one set. It looked great, had some nice set pieces and was also loaded with a good cast, but it just didn't click.

  30. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Segmentum Obscurus
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    ^^^
    A always hated JP2: The Lost World, simply because the story didn't live up to the high standards the first one set. It looked great, had some nice set pieces and was also loaded with a good cast, but it just didn't click.
    That's how I feel when I watch it now. It wants to be good, it looks great (still) but just doesn't quite make it.

Posting Permissions