Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Controversial Cinema-Related Opinions

Live on cable. A tense intention on nothing.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    The hulk, Spiderman etc... are in the same drawer as Scooby doo for me.
    Thats cool, I get it. I group Pepa Pig and Cowboy Bebop together because they are both cartoons.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    You can't really refute a bad comparison by making a bad comparison... peppa pig is for kids, bebop is for adults. Hulk and spiderman were not created for adults, were they?

Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    It's obvious you haven't read a superhero comic-book in the last 40 years or so. They are absolutely not intended for children and the movie adaptations are actually more childish than the source material.

I've read all the Frank Miller batman stuff - fair play that's not for kids. But we've never really got a faithful live action of any of them. Last spiderman I read was ultimate Spiderman about 13 years ago, Last hulks I read were planet hulk and world war hulk. Sorry but that stuff is for kids, or teenagers at most.

Ice haven, mox nox, black hole, the invisibles, spawn, the crow, Alan Moore books etc are what I would call adult fiction

I'm not saying it's morally wrong (although there is a whiff of protraction about it), I'm just a bit alienated by how huge and constant it is
    Last edited by Sutekh; 05-09-2018 at 04:46 PM.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Yep, I still want to fight just about everyone in this thread years later.

Also, every post Nolan DC movie is abysmal garbage except Wonder Woman.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Yes, batman vs superman and suicide squad were two of the worst films I have ever seen. But is that controversial?

I actually think the 89 batman has aged badly. Returns is the superior film... and apparently it's quite unpopular? The internet is an eye opener

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Been a little while, but have never enjoyed Returns. Michelle Pfeiffer is fantastic, but the film's focus is almost entirely on Penguin. Bruce hardly gets a look in, and with Penguin being portrayed as a grotesque with a love/hate relationship with the public, and some seriously ludicrous flights of fantasy, the film basically feels like Tim Burton is wanking over the screen for two hours. It makes me feel a bit queasy.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    It's absolutely that... It's almost false advertising to call it a batman film. I'm not sure whether it's because they're actually good or because I grew up with them, but pre mars attacks tim Burton films have an atmosphere I can really get lost in

Everything after that... either tepid or actually bad. Cringeworthy mall goth stuff

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Batman Returns is actually the best Batman movie there is.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    It's easily the best and funnest where it doesn't require thinking. Objectively I still think The Dark Knight is the pinnacle of all live action Batman films but Batman Returns is the shit. It's so dark with a lot of originality and enthusiasm. People hated the Penguin portrayal (not Devito) since it didn't match the rich kingpin crime lord but rather a scummy mutated freak who was literally raised by penguins. It was an awesome reimagining.

Also this is THE BEST Catwoman (and outfit) on screen appearance to me of any portrayal, even over Julie Newmar and Eartha Kitt. I HATE Hatahway's portrayal and outfit. She was easily one of the worst parts of The Dark Knight Rises.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You can't really refute a bad comparison by making a bad comparison... peppa pig is for kids, bebop is for adults. Hulk and spiderman were not created for adults, were they?

I've read all the Frank Miller batman stuff - fair play that's not for kids. But we've never really got a faithful live action of any of them. Last spiderman I read was ultimate Spiderman about 13 years ago, Last hulks I read were planet hulk and world war hulk. Sorry but that stuff is for kids, or teenagers at most.

Ice haven, mox nox, black hole, the invisibles, spawn, the crow, Alan Moore books etc are what I would call adult fiction

I'm not saying it's morally wrong (although there is a whiff of protraction about it), I'm just a bit alienated by how huge and constant it is
    No, it isn't.

Spider-Man wasn't exactly created for adults, but neither was it for kids. It's target audience was mainly teenagers. Yep, the same age group that in the 90s gets into NIN and rock music.

And I guess you haven't read Kraven's Last Hunt, from the main Spider-Man storyline.

You have a point in that most movie adaptations are somewhat more chidish, as I said myself. But going all the way to say that the source material is just for kids is simply wrong.
    Last edited by Shunt; 05-10-2018 at 05:26 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Very well, I'm not totally ignorant regarding comics, but im no expert - and clearly you know better.

Nonetheless, even taking what you say into account... I only have to amend my point to say "why the overwhelming obsession with teen fiction" rather than "kid's fiction". The implication being the same (aren't we a bit old for all this).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    But as I pointed out, we still listen to The Downward Spiral or even better, Pretty Hate Machine, even if the feelings expressed there have more to do with teenage angst than with anything else. We still care for them as much as some people care for those superhero characters. It's good music even if it wasn't intended for a middle aged audience at the time, and ina similar way, those characters have been part of some good stories.

There's no denying there are people wanting to take advantage from those people by making one somewhat banal movie after the other, but that's not exactly the point.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    We do listen to those things, but not all day, and there isn't a mass media conveyor belt shovelling them out seemingly endlessly.

Nothing wrong with a guilty pleasure but the marvel dc thing is starting to feel like having a beer at 11am.

BUT! I am extremely miserable and dry, and yeah probably a little pompous

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    I'm not saying we should only watch black and white French dramas and kill ourselves
    Well I am.

This is a perfect summary of my beliefs on art and cinema.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    If it doesn't have artificial eye on the spine, it goes in the bin

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Love this movie. My favorite Batman, for sure. It's a shame that Burton and Keaton left after this film as the franchise soon took a nose-dive.