Page 33 of 54 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast

Thread: Depeche Mode

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Saw them in Birmingham UK at the Birmingham Arena on Sunday and yes they are back!. Muscular, slick and sexy, much better than when I saw them at the London Stadium earlier this year which as a venue I felt was too big. Looking forward to the London 02 concert!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Listened to VIOLATOR (+ singles and Enjoy the Silence/Personal Jesus remixes and instrumentals) yesterday in my "5.1" room but stereo source via Chromecast Audio from my rips, tried receiver program "Dolby ProLogic II music" which artifically tries to send sounds to surround speakers and is usually not very good idea, but man - with Violator, it was seriously AMAZING. Somehow the frequencies spectrum or whatever was matching the PL II algorithm that I was surprised how good it actually was, yay, perfect!

(the remastered version, which is by the way worse than original)

Edit: Actually... I've got a feeling I already wrote exactly this same thing years ago, back in my previous flat... deja-vu? Sorry if true, but still true. :-)
    Last edited by Substance242; 02-06-2018 at 03:17 AM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Exciter has too many damn ballads which is why it gets a bad wrap. 'I Feel Loved' is vintage Depeche and their sick cover of 'Dirt' during those sessions should have made the record in place of one of Martins ballads that he forced Dave to sing....Exciter is the album that almost ended the band (or forced Dave out) I remember some interview after the tour ended where Dave basically said that Exciter was the final straw as far as letting Martin be the primary songwriter and from that point on he was going to force the issue and demand some of his songs be allowed on record. The REAL under-rated album is Ultra. Brilliant album and Dave's voice is in top shape. Was digging the darkwave direction they were exploring in 97/98 with Ultra and the 2 singles from 98 ('Only When I Lose Myself/Surrender). They should have stayed on that direction but then they followed it up with a bunch of love ballads with Exciter...

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Exciter has too many damn ballads which is why it gets a bad wrap. 'I Feel Loved' is vintage Depeche and their sick cover of 'Dirt' during those sessions should have made the record in place of one of Martins ballads that he forced Dave to sing....Exciter is the album that almost ended the band (or forced Dave out) I remember some interview after the tour ended where Dave basically said that Exciter was the final straw as far as letting Martin be the primary songwriter and from that point on he was going to force the issue and demand some of his songs be allowed on record. The REAL under-rated album is Ultra. Brilliant album and Dave's voice is in top shape. Was digging the darkwave direction they were exploring in 97/98 with Ultra and the 2 singles from 98 ('Only When I Lose Myself/Surrender). They should have stayed on that direction but then they followed it up with a bunch of love ballads with Exciter...
    Couldn't say it much better myself. Exciter was a very muted affair after the dark, underrated masterpiece that was ULTRA. Dream On, I Am You, Shine and their cover of Dirt are all gems, but the rest is forgettable, phoned-in ballads they did much better on previous albums (and even proceeding ones). They got back to their winning ways on Playing The Angel once Dave started having more creative input.

But yea, that ‘97-‘99 period they had was fucking incredible. I would take that material over SOFAD or even the Violater-era stuff most any day. ULTRA isn’t just my favorite DM album by a mile, it’s probably one of my favorite albums of its kind ever. Brilliant from start to finish..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I agree, Ultra has so many great gems. I'd say it's DM's ultimate peak creatively. The records after aren't bad, but I wouldn't say they're as cohesive or engaging as Ultra. The production has a really cool understated feel to it that works perfectly with the songs too. The Love Thieves is a major highlight for me.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    And people here were looking at me funny when I said Ultra is their best album...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Listened to VIOLATOR (+ singles and Enjoy the Silence/Personal Jesus remixes and instrumentals) yesterday in my "5.1" room but stereo source via Chromecast Audio from my rips, tried receiver program "Dolby ProLogic II music" which artifically tries to send sounds to surround speakers and is usually not very good idea, but man - with Violator, it was seriously AMAZING. Somehow the frequencies spectrum or whatever was matching the PL II algorithm that I was surprised how good it actually was, yay, perfect!

(the remastered version, which is by the way worse than original)

Edit: Actually... I've got a feeling I already wrote exactly this same thing years ago, back in my previous flat... deja-vu? Sorry if true, but still true. :-)
    i hate artificial surround sound, it always sounds awful to me. i've had customers call me and complain that what they're watching sounds "weird" or "echo-y" and it's always because they've turned on some weird surround mode for something that's a stereo source. /rant

anyway, the 5.1 mixes of all the DM albums are great. they did a really nice job of spreading out the multi-layered sounds they tend to use without it being overly gimmicky.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    And people here were looking at me funny when I said Ultra is their best album...
    I dunno about best, but I would agree it's a phenomenal album. I think it's awesome that they're hitting Ultra so much on this current run of shows, but it's a crime that songs like Freestate and Love Thieves have still never been played live.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I'll join the "Ulltra" love, the production is sick!

It also has my favorite Depeche Mode ever:

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Couldn't say it much better myself. Exciter was a very muted affair after the dark, underrated masterpiece that was ULTRA. Dream On, I Am You, Shine and their cover of Dirt are all gems, but the rest is forgettable, phoned-in ballads they did much better on previous albums (and even proceeding ones). They got back to their winning ways on Playing The Angel once Dave started having more creative input.

But yea, that ‘97-‘99 period they had was fucking incredible. I would take that material over SOFAD or even the Violater-era stuff most any day. ULTRA isn’t just my favorite DM album by a mile, it’s probably one of my favorite albums of its kind ever. Brilliant from start to finish..
    Its a shame they never toured that record because Dave was just getting his shit together. They did a few tv appearances and a couple of those Ultra parties and thats it. This performance from the NPA Studios in April 97 is sick. 'Barrel of a Gun' and 'Its No Good'

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Its a shame they never toured that record because Dave was just getting his shit together. They did a few tv appearances and a couple of those Ultra parties and thats it. This performance from the NPA Studios in April 97 is sick. 'Barrel of a Gun' and 'Its No Good'

ULTRA was only supposed to be an EP at first, right? Because of Dave's drug issues at the time.

I have a bootleg from 1998 when they were doing promotion for the '86-'98 Singles collection. It's only eight songs but heavy on ULTRA and has a rare live version of Only When I Lose Myself. Great performance from top to bottom. It might be a KROQ gig..

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    ULTRA was only supposed to be an EP at first, right? Because of Dave's drug issues at the time.

I have a bootleg from 1998 when they were doing promotion for the '86-'98 Singles collection. It's only eight songs but heavy on ULTRA and has a rare live version of Only When I Lose Myself. Great performance from top to bottom. It might be a KROQ gig..
    I have that same bootleg from 1998, but its the pro shot video version from Cologne Germany..That audio boot is probably a rip from the vid...I think initially Dave wasn't even around for the making of the album outside of a few days. I know there was some story how he showed up to NYC, was wasted on smack the entire time, barely got through 'Sister of Night' (I think it took 3 days to record that one song) then he split and went back to LA and had his overdose/arrest a week later....I think Martin was tempted to do the whole record himself at one point and then they basically waited months and months for Dave to get his shit together...Martins words to 'Barrel of a Gun' is clearly about Dave

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I love Ultra as well.

Does anyone know if there a link to the Ultra documentary online about the making of the album, i think it was on a special edition release. I've seen it a longtime ago.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    They added a 9 date NA leg for May/early June. No reschedule/makeup for that cancelled Tampa date though which has me both heartbroken and looking at flight costs to other cities because I still haven’t been able to see this damn band live.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    May 22 - Anaheim, CA - Honda Center
    May 24 - Sacramento, CA - Golden 1 Center
    May 27 - San Antonio, TX - AT&T Center
    May 29 - Tulsa, OK - BoK Center
    June 1 - Chicago, IL - United Center
    June 3 - Philadelphia, PA - Wells Fargo Center
    June 6 - Brooklyn, NY - Barclays Center
    June 9 - Boston, MA - TD Garden
    June 11 - Toronto, ON - Air Canada Centre

First ever DM show in Oklahoma. First shows in 17 years for Sacramento and Philadelphia. 13 years for San Antonio.

Really too bad they didn't go to NOLA and Tampa after San Antonio, though. That's really crummy of them to come back to the States and yet not make Tampa up. You'd think it would've been a priority.. I do recommend catching them though, if you can.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I'll try to go to Boston. It's my birthday weekend.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Ultra is a wonderful album. Contrary to previous efforts, there are no meticulously engineered layers of sounds or atmosphere buildups, everything is just 4 tracks loud from the beginning to end without any dynamics. It's quite primitive and I like it. :-)

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Sweet, when do the tickets go on sale for the US leg? I haven't seen DM since 2009 and would love to break that streak

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Sweet, when do the tickets go on sale for the US leg? I haven't seen DM since 2009 and would love to break that streak
    Tomorrow, I believe.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    anyone have a verified fan presale code they dont plan on using? It looks like the registration for the verified fan is closed now

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    So, for whatever reason, Yahoo news had this gem in their feed. Way too funny and I've never seen it before tonight:

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I saw that video earlier today. What the fuck? Man, I can't believe Dave remembered that as I don't blame him and the band for not wanting to revisit that video. They admitted that the video was the moment that made them realize to never do that ever again.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    So, for whatever reason, Yahoo news had this gem in their feed. Way too funny and I've never seen it before tonight:
    this is HILARIOUS.

also, how old was dave when they made this? 15? he looks like such a freakin' dork hahahahaha

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    he GENERALLY looks like a dork... only really looked "cool" when the band got huge and he turned to drugs.

the chicken video is my favorite thing they've ever done.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Put on Spirit for the first time in a year. This album is fucking great. Best album since Playing The Angel. Really dark, no ballady shit, no pop or cringeworthy attempts at blues. Maybe I wasnt in the mood to listen to it last year when I dismissed it after one listen and they did themselves no favors by releasing the worst song on the album as the lead single but this record stands alongside Ultra and PTA as the 2 best post Alan Wilder albums

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Put on Spirit for the first time in a year. This album is fucking great. Best album since Playing The Angel. Really dark, no ballady shit, no pop or cringeworthy attempts at blues. Maybe I wasnt in the mood to listen to it last year when I dismissed it after one listen and they did themselves no favors by releasing the worst song on the album as the lead single but this record stands alongside Ultra and PTA as the 2 best post Alan Wilder albums
    I was just coming in here to say something almost exactly the same, although I probably wouldn't put it all the way up there with PTA (one of my favorite DM albums), but maybe after a few more listens?

I find myself wondering why I dismissed it so quickly the first time through.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Dave added his vocals to Goldfrapp's "Ocean" for the deluxe edition of last year's Silver Eye. He sounds great on it:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    I was just coming in here to say something almost exactly the same, although I probably wouldn't put it all the way up there with PTA (one of my favorite DM albums), but maybe after a few more listens?

I find myself wondering why I dismissed it so quickly the first time through.
    PTA might even be my favorite DM album period, but Ultra and Violator put up a pretty good fight. Spirit has some really nice songs - I particularly and genuinely love Scum, You Move, and No More (This Is the Last Time). It's really a shame that they haven't played a lot of songs from Spirit live. But that's been a trend with their last several albums, actually. It gives the impression that they're not even all that confident or happy with what they're putting out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's weird, the last time I listened to Spirit I definitely heard ballads, attempts at blues and of course pop (because DM is a pop band in the first place).