Likes Likes:  0
Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The Black Crowes

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

The Black Crowes

The other day I read Hard to Handle - The Life and Death of the Black Crowes: A Memoir by the band's drummer Steve Gorman (with Steven Hyden) took me quite by surprise. I was expecting it to be good, from hearing Gorman talk a few times on podcasts and interviews here and there, but he succinctly unloads all the frustration and exhilaration that came from playing in a band as great as they could be. He has some lament that they did not make better choices artistically and even business-wise, and lays most of the blame at the feet of Chris and Rich Robinson which seems only fair since you never got the sense they were a band of equals. Not to mention how outwardly volatile they were towards the music business, the other band members, themselves as brothers, and this book paints a good picture at how often they were individually their own worst enemies too. I read the whole thing overnight, a rare occurrence.

I was never a deep fan, I have a Greatest Hits CD and one of their live DVD's which is collecting dust at the moment. I do regret not seeing them live in 2001, when they were doing a co-headlining show with Oasis. I was a junior in HS, and the year was about to end and I thought of how cool and rebel of me to skip class and see what would have been a rather raucous affair of a rock show (in my experience at least).

Last edited by onthewall2983; 11-06-2019 at 10:42 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Chris and Rich reuniting with three hired hands for a 30th anniversary tour next year, for the 30th anniversary of their first album and promising to play "all the hits".

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    weak.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    This Rolling Stone interview has me a little convinced this isn't weak, but who knows. If they were not related it would be hard to see it as anything other than weak, but family has a weird way of boomeranging back on you and this may have been the case here.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Love the new album.