Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34
Results 991 to 1,016 of 1016

Thread: Depeche Mode

  1. #991
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,226
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    They added a 9 date NA leg for May/early June. No reschedule/makeup for that cancelled Tampa date though which has me both heartbroken and looking at flight costs to other cities because I still haven’t been able to see this damn band live.

  2. #992
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    May 22 - Anaheim, CA - Honda Center
    May 24 - Sacramento, CA - Golden 1 Center
    May 27 - San Antonio, TX - AT&T Center
    May 29 - Tulsa, OK - BoK Center
    June 1 - Chicago, IL - United Center
    June 3 - Philadelphia, PA - Wells Fargo Center
    June 6 - Brooklyn, NY - Barclays Center
    June 9 - Boston, MA - TD Garden
    June 11 - Toronto, ON - Air Canada Centre

    First ever DM show in Oklahoma. First shows in 17 years for Sacramento and Philadelphia. 13 years for San Antonio.

    Really too bad they didn't go to NOLA and Tampa after San Antonio, though. That's really crummy of them to come back to the States and yet not make Tampa up. You'd think it would've been a priority.. I do recommend catching them though, if you can.

  3. #993
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,953
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I'll try to go to Boston. It's my birthday weekend.

  4. #994
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Ultra is a wonderful album. Contrary to previous efforts, there are no meticulously engineered layers of sounds or atmosphere buildups, everything is just 4 tracks loud from the beginning to end without any dynamics. It's quite primitive and I like it. :-)

  5. #995
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,447
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Sweet, when do the tickets go on sale for the US leg? I haven't seen DM since 2009 and would love to break that streak

  6. #996
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,953
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Sweet, when do the tickets go on sale for the US leg? I haven't seen DM since 2009 and would love to break that streak
    Tomorrow, I believe.

  7. #997
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,447
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    anyone have a verified fan presale code they dont plan on using? It looks like the registration for the verified fan is closed now

  8. #998
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Salinas, CA
    Posts
    405
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So, for whatever reason, Yahoo news had this gem in their feed. Way too funny and I've never seen it before tonight:

  9. #999
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    6,575
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    I saw that video earlier today. What the fuck? Man, I can't believe Dave remembered that as I don't blame him and the band for not wanting to revisit that video. They admitted that the video was the moment that made them realize to never do that ever again.

  10. #1000
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    1,764
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

  11. #1001
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    7,440
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    So, for whatever reason, Yahoo news had this gem in their feed. Way too funny and I've never seen it before tonight:
    this is HILARIOUS.

    also, how old was dave when they made this? 15? he looks like such a freakin' dork hahahahaha

  12. #1002
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,955
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    he GENERALLY looks like a dork... only really looked "cool" when the band got huge and he turned to drugs.

    the chicken video is my favorite thing they've ever done.

  13. #1003
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    425
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Put on Spirit for the first time in a year. This album is fucking great. Best album since Playing The Angel. Really dark, no ballady shit, no pop or cringeworthy attempts at blues. Maybe I wasnt in the mood to listen to it last year when I dismissed it after one listen and they did themselves no favors by releasing the worst song on the album as the lead single but this record stands alongside Ultra and PTA as the 2 best post Alan Wilder albums

  14. #1004
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    784
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Put on Spirit for the first time in a year. This album is fucking great. Best album since Playing The Angel. Really dark, no ballady shit, no pop or cringeworthy attempts at blues. Maybe I wasnt in the mood to listen to it last year when I dismissed it after one listen and they did themselves no favors by releasing the worst song on the album as the lead single but this record stands alongside Ultra and PTA as the 2 best post Alan Wilder albums
    I was just coming in here to say something almost exactly the same, although I probably wouldn't put it all the way up there with PTA (one of my favorite DM albums), but maybe after a few more listens?

    I find myself wondering why I dismissed it so quickly the first time through.

  15. #1005
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Dave added his vocals to Goldfrapp's "Ocean" for the deluxe edition of last year's Silver Eye. He sounds great on it:


  16. #1006
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    I was just coming in here to say something almost exactly the same, although I probably wouldn't put it all the way up there with PTA (one of my favorite DM albums), but maybe after a few more listens?

    I find myself wondering why I dismissed it so quickly the first time through.
    PTA might even be my favorite DM album period, but Ultra and Violator put up a pretty good fight. Spirit has some really nice songs - I particularly and genuinely love Scum, You Move, and No More (This Is the Last Time). It's really a shame that they haven't played a lot of songs from Spirit live. But that's been a trend with their last several albums, actually. It gives the impression that they're not even all that confident or happy with what they're putting out.

  17. #1007
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Put on Spirit for the first time in a year. This album is fucking great. Best album since Playing The Angel. Really dark, no ballady shit, no pop or cringeworthy attempts at blues. Maybe I wasnt in the mood to listen to it last year when I dismissed it after one listen and they did themselves no favors by releasing the worst song on the album as the lead single but this record stands alongside Ultra and PTA as the 2 best post Alan Wilder albums
    That's weird, the last time I listened to Spirit I definitely heard ballads, attempts at blues and of course pop (because DM is a pop band in the first place).

  18. #1008
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Dallas --> Boston
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Put on Spirit for the first time in a year. This album is fucking great. Best album since Playing The Angel. Really dark, no ballady shit, no pop or cringeworthy attempts at blues. Maybe I wasnt in the mood to listen to it last year when I dismissed it after one listen and they did themselves no favors by releasing the worst song on the album as the lead single but this record stands alongside Ultra and PTA as the 2 best post Alan Wilder albums
    Man, I really wish I could say the same, but I think if anything it's only shrunk on me. :/ Still sounds half-finished and thrown together for me.

  19. #1009
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    425
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    That's weird, the last time I listened to Spirit I definitely heard ballads, attempts at blues and of course pop (because DM is a pop band in the first place).
    'Heaven' from Delta Machine was a total ballad. Similar to some of the stuff on Exciter....The slow stuff on Spirit like "The Worst Crime" and "Cover Me" are a lot darker...Similar to the slower songs on Ultra "Sister of Night" and PTA "Darkest Star"...Nobody does dark better than Depeche

  20. #1010
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To be honest, this is the first time I've read a fan talking about DM ballads in a negative way, and it baffles me. I think they are such an integral part of the band, and there's not a single album with a few of them.

  21. #1011
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So I just peeked at the Honda Center setlist from last night and holy wow. My excitement for Toronto just went through the roof.

  22. #1012
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    7,440
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    To be honest, this is the first time I've read a fan talking about DM ballads in a negative way, and it baffles me. I think they are such an integral part of the band, and there's not a single album with a few of them.
    i tend to skip most of the ballads on DM records because i find them less compelling. same thing with tom waits (which is why i basically don't like any of his output pre-swordfish trombones).

  23. #1013
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And just to complement the thread, yesterday the band played a certain long demanded balllad for the first time in 30 years and the community's gone nuts.

  24. #1014
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,226
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    That setlist is fantastic, about as good as it can get with a shorter show length. Whoever gets to see this run is very lucky if they keep this level of quality up.

    For me, when their ballads work, they’re amazing centerpieces. When they don’t, they drag whole records down.

  25. #1015
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know I was pretty disappointed with Spirit. It's got a few good songs, but nothing else really jumped out at me.

  26. #1016
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    And just to complement the thread, yesterday the band played a certain long demanded balllad for the first time in 30 years and the community's gone nuts.
    Man oh man I would kill to see last night’s setlist! I really enjoyed the songs I got on their first leg in the fall, but I love Ultra and the song you’re referring to. Wow. Lucky crowd for sure!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions