Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Joy Division/New Order

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    totally forgot about siglo xx, but seconded! 'art of war' is a jam (and sounds a HELL of a lot like 'love will tear us apart'), and some of their mid-period records are hauntingly similar and just bleak.

also try out the wake, but make sure you're checking out the UK version on factory instead of the US sisters of mercy ripoffs from the 90s. the first record especially sounds like movement, only less muscle (try 'judas'). a lot of the factory bands are worth listening to, especially as most of them sounded like joy division (royal family and the poor/the wake/the names/crispy ambulance) or new order (shark vegas, section 25 also featured production from bernard sumner).

edit: and also the trees! kind of a mix of scott walker/joy divison. produced by lol tolhurst of the cure. works as well as you think it would.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 12-07-2011 at 04:21 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Does Hook sing? I remember hearing about a year ago that he would play the album. Heard mixed things... But it is kinda weird for New Order to continue with him. Joy Division wasn't Joy Division without Ian. A bit hypocritical, but if the music's good, whatever.
    Check out my recordings of him doing all of Unknown Pleasures live last year. He really pulled it off amazingly well, along with older songs like Walked In Line and Glass -

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I'll be recording Closer in April.

lol, after I see New Order without him in March. Irony.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    The Live in Glasgow DVD from 2007 (great performance BTW) has a few of the big JD tracks in the encore.

Follow up from Frankie's post, Siglo XX (Belgium) is another very JD-ish band and from around the same period.
    Also "These Days" midway through the set.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    for those craving more of the joy division sound, there are a slew of bands that sound similar from that era and deserve your equal attention. try these guys on for size:

the sound (from the lion's mouth)
    I was turned on to these guys years ago but I couldn't afford to buy their albums! And the process of getting them all back in print has been painfully slow. But I've just heard that Jeopardy and FTLM are finally coming out in January.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Shame Hook didn't do much vocals. According to wiki, he only did the two songs on Movement, nothing else. It's a shame. Seems like it was at least a cool show.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I think Hooky sung on a few tracks from his 90s side project, Monaco. Though a majority percentage of Monaco tracks had a Barney sound-alike on them.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Shame. Might prefer him over Bernard...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I think Hook did a great job channeling Ians vocals and emotion on this project. I'd love to film some of the closer shows. I should reach out to management...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Anyone ever see this? Pretty awesome.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    The Live in Glasgow DVD from 2007 (great performance BTW) has a few of the big JD tracks in the encore.
    I saw them on that tour leg in Newcastle in '06: similar set list. "These Days" was an unexpected highlight. the DVD is really flat compared to how it went down there. Still it's not a bad capture (the best we've got I suppose).

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Mojo magazine's February edition will feature a CD of covers from "Power, Corruption and Lies".

30 sec streams of each track, plus the full "Leave me Alone" by "Destroyer" are available via soundcloud:

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/201...-lies-tribute/

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    contemplating taking a bunch of this live footage and compiling it set to the live album that they released. anyone interested in throwing raw footage my way?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It's weird considering that New Order was created because they had LOST a member. It shouldn't be New Order, but it is. Mostly a huge "fuck you" to Hook.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    It's weird considering that New Order was created because they had LOST a member. It shouldn't be New Order, but it is. Mostly a huge "fuck you" to Hook.
    Not really though, read the whole article. He's the one who has been really aggressive and an asshole consistently in public and in interviews. The other guys have been extremely civil and have just gotten fed up with his childish attitude.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Is this going to become a Team Barney vs Team Hooky thing?

If so, I'm rooting for Team .

-

I wish beyond all else that I could catch on of the Sydney shows, but the chances of me being able to get time off work are ~0%. FML.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Not really though, read the whole article. He's the one who has been really aggressive and an asshole consistently in public and in interviews. The other guys have been extremely civil and have just gotten fed up with his childish attitude.
    I read the interview. What it seemed like was Hook pissed Bernard off with the bad mouthing and the joy division shows; and, out of spite, reunited New Order without Hook. Hook's certainly far from innocent.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I read the interview. What it seemed like was Hook pissed Bernard off with the bad mouthing and the joy division shows; and, out of spite, reunited New Order without Hook. Hook's certainly far from innocent.
    Oh yeah I think both parties are guilty, but Hooky much more so.

I still like them all though haha

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The band I work with recorded this Joy Division cover with Toumani Diabaté on Kora. Toumani is kinda regarded as the worlds best Kora player, he's incredible. I made this little video:

It doesn't sound like Joy Divison... Sorry.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    So I've just learned that Pictures On My Mind was rehearsed at least twice, two times at one session, and a recording of that session (including other interesting stuff such as Stephen Morris singing) had surfaced (e.g. http://norecordshopsleft.blogspot.com/2010/02/joy-division-warsaw-pictures-on-my-mind.html)

However Hooky took exception and that blog (and many others) have taken down that session. Hooky is now selling two Pictures On My Mind "demos" at MP3 320kbps, 99p UK for the pair, all proceeds to a charity.

What's not clear is the provenance of any of these, 320kbps seems mighty high for a tape rip, I wonder if it's a re-encoded MP3 at a higher rate?

I don't mind throwing some money at a charity for two curiosities, but it's a shame the rest of that session is now harder to find.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Hooky recorded the song and finished it himself with him on vocals, I think that's the version they're selling there. It's part of an EP with his new band The Light.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Hooky recorded the song and finished it himself with him on vocals, I think that's the version they're selling there. It's part of an EP with his new band The Light.
    No it's definitely the originals:

http://www.fac51thehacienda.com/hacienda-records

Here with the two original demos for 'Pictures In My Mind'. Bundled in the download package are a longer version of 4:07 and a shorter clip of 1:49. All proceeds from these tracks are being donated directly to the Epilepsy Society.

The Light's stuff is also there separately.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    No it's definitely the originals:

http://www.fac51thehacienda.com/hacienda-records

Here with the two original demos for 'Pictures In My Mind'. Bundled in the download package are a longer version of 4:07 and a shorter clip of 1:49. All proceeds from these tracks are being donated directly to the Epilepsy Society.

The Light's stuff is also there separately.
    Hmmm.. I have one that's 3:36 in my Misc folder. I'll upload that for you.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Hmmm.. I have one that's 3:36 in my Misc folder. I'll upload that for you.
    Thanks for that!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Been listening to Get Ready a bit lately. Damn, Crystal's chorus is catchy!