Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: An Evening with David Byrne and Trent Reznor in Los Angeles

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This is going to be all the more interesting considering the topic and the news about htda and columbia. I saw david byrne and st. vincent in mpls (which was awesome), but wasn't able to go to db's event the night before (the first of the book tour conversations). so far I haven't found a recording or transcript online from the event. really really hoping someone going to the db/tr evening will be able to record and share.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I won't be going to this after all. Anyone interested in my ticket?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I was the last question of the night if any of yall were there!

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    What did you (or anyone else) ask? Inquiring minds would like to know!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I asked if it is ever emotionally difficult to put a project aside that your passionate about in order to work harder on another, and if he had moments of regret in terms of choosing a focus, and I mentioned David Fincher b/c I knew he was hesitant about working on that.

I wish I remembered his answer better (I think my sister recorded it and I'll put it up). He talked about how it has been hard and recently he has turned down projects he would have loved to do. Also that he doesn't want to be known as a film composer, and doesn't want that to ever become his m.o. He also talked about trying to follow his passion and stuff in terms of choosing what to do.

There was a few silly questions. Like I literally did not even understand what some people were asking/saying. Im going to go in my memory bank and come back in a few with more details.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I found this video: Trent Reznor on why he chose record labels".

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The event was pretty wonderful. Trent was talkative as always, David was surprisingly quiet but once he got a little warmed up was very into it, and since the discussion was primarily focused on the marketing/post-internets aspect of music, at times he seemed genuinely interested in learning from what TR has done, interjecting with his own questions. The moderator was way cooler than they usually are at these things, asking intelligent questions and then staying out of the way. I would have loved to have heard more creative commentary from the two artists, but given the topic of the night, it obviously wasn't going to happen.

The q&a was horrifically cringeworthy. Some questions could literally be reduced to, "Me me me me me. So, what do you think about me?" A couple of NIN fans who clearly didn't even know who the fuck David Byrne was only added to the cringeworthiness. Luckily the David Byrne-only fans were awkward in their own way, perhaps I'm only more upset about the NIN fans because I want us to represent ourselves better, ha. I wish questions could have been written and submitted beforehand, because clearly some people just wanted to interact with the artists without bringing anything to the table.

Since these events always end with the q&a, they unfortunately leave a weird taste in your mouth even when the majority of the experience was a delight -- and in this case, it definitely was.
    Last edited by howdidislipinto; 10-15-2012 at 04:09 AM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    The q&a was horrifically cringeworthy. Some questions could literally be reduced to, "Me me me me me. So, what do you think about me?"
    What do you mean by this, like "what do you think about my NIN tattoos" and crap like that? if so good grief, why is there STILL such a mentality like this out there. I hope they weren't from ETS.

Def sounds like pulling crap out of their ass just for the sake of interacting with them. Wanna smell my finger? a herp derp derp.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    To whoever can put up a transcript of the event or another video, cookies await you!

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peanoot3 View Post
    amazing how a vision can change in a couple of years

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Did we manage to go a whole Q&A without Tapeworm coming up?

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    More videos please!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Found this one on turning down projects

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    "In a talk with David Byrne, the Nine Inch Nails mastermind said he decided the pros of releasing his group How to Destroy Angels' via Columbia were worth the cons":
    http://www.spin.com/articles/trent-r...gels-radiohead

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^I don't remember seeing flyers / posters advertising NIN concerts in London even when they were on a major label? Unless I just wasn't looking, the places I heard of them were in magazines / radio and I'm sure the likes of Zane Lowe would interview Trent regardless of major label status

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I saw loads of them, especially for the With Teeth tour. I even stole a couple.

Going by the article, they seem to forget that Radiohead are MUCH bigger globally than NIN. Even so, I see the sense in using a record label under certain conditions. A few other bands I like are making albums, then approaching a label to promote just that record and perhaps the coinciding tour. The tour ends, the band is free again, and freelances another label when necessary.
    Last edited by icklekitty; 10-15-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Bowie's been doing it for years.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Do you guys think a full video of the event will surface? Or even just a rundown of what was discussed?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Do you guys think a full video of the event will surface? Or even just a rundown of what was discussed?
    it normally does. just be patient.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    They say there will be a blog here
    http://www.facebook.com/NINarmy

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Trent said that Radiohead were playing there six months from then, but it was more like... two.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemonkey613 View Post
    He talked about how it has been hard and recently he has turned down projects he would have loved to do.
    I'm curious to know what these are - although they might disappoint me too that he didn't take them on

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Ha! I actually heard you saying the "me me me" thing on the way out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ha, was just about to come here to say that Pitchfork had video and mentioned ETS!
    http://pitchfork.com/news/48208-watc...h-david-byrne/

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    They say there will be a blog here
    http://www.facebook.com/NINarmy
    We've got audio, but it's being cleaned up, so check back in a day or so

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Trent just tweeted that he was in the studio with a hero of his, but then clarified it's not Byrne. Hopes dashed!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    Found this one on turning down projects

O my glob thats me asking. My derp fucking giggle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peanoot3 View Post
    So I'm the dude that filmed a section of the talk with David Byrne and Trent Reznor, where Trent was explaining why he decided to go back to major labels and it...kind of...got posted onto Pitchfork, SPIN, NME, and the rest of the entire internet.

Trent, if you're pissed...I apologize. But look on the bright side - you're on the front page of every major music website!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Artwork from event.