Page 27 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cure

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Robert Smith interviews from the weekend:

https://www.timeout.com/london/music...othic-any-more

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...m-the-opposite

Even though I'll not be seeing The Cure this year, I'm still exciting to be going to Meltdown for Nine Inch Nails at least, and I am kind of hoping for a Bob spotting, if not a special guest appearance.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I just spotted a wish 12” in the wild, £100. So damn tempted. Might see if I can part ex my original The Fragile

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm just happy whenever The Cure appear in the news. Means they're still active! Hopefully they'll do a world tour next year!

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    With all the stuff in the archives it still seems odd RS is out promoting a 28 year old remix album that basically was dismissed within weeks of its initial release....Should be focusing on the Wish deluxe edition etc

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Apparently Wish is next. In a past interview, he mentioned he got back around to that. I mean, I was surprised they gave the reissue treatment to Mixed Up. And I don't even like it all that much. But what makes it for me are the new mixes on Torn Down. They are pretty awesome.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Well worth I listen I would expect - Robert Smith takes over for the Iggy Pop show on BBC Radio, this Friday:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b5sy2j

Reminds me of the time Robert covered the John Peel show, very shortly before he died: http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/21_October_2004
    Not a bad set of tunes, but I have to say Siouxsie did a better job the previous night.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    https://www.marksaunders.com/the-cure-mixed-up-1

There's a new 2018 Mark Saunders remix of Prayers for Rain that was quietly discovered. Too bad that wasn't included on the Mixed Up remaster.

In unrelated news, I'm actually going to a Cure cover band show tonight lol

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaydraven View Post
    Apparently Wish is next. In a past interview, he mentioned he got back around to that. I mean, I was surprised they gave the reissue treatment to Mixed Up. And I don't even like it all that much. But what makes it for me are the new mixes on Torn Down. They are pretty awesome.
    I find original Mixed Up is really good at full blast driving around on a nice sunny day. I got the deluxe edition (along with Bad Witch, of course) yesterday.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Oh that wikia has download links for the peel show! I’ve been after that since I lost my recording forever ago. Yay

Robert was pissed that the show was quite heavily edited, he posted a rant on his website but took it down when the news about Peel surfaced. I preserved it: https://jmtd.net/music/smith_peel/

Heh he chose the same Placebo track in both shows, 14 years apart

---

The liner notes for the 3CD Mixed Up list three remixes that were found and not included on the album but are apparently available digitally

primary (extended mix 1981 - remastered 2018)
    the lovecats (extended version 1983 - remastered 2018)
    inbetween days (extended version 1985 - remastered 2018)
    Last edited by jmtd; 06-24-2018 at 04:18 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Anyone know the chances of when the Cure is set to do another major tour? I was looking at setlist.fm last night and I can't believe they haven't been to St. Louis since Bloodflowers came out in 2000.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I think odds aren’t great. They’ve toured for about ten years and Robert is finally talking about writing again

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I think he just said see you next year at the conclusion of their Meltdown show a few minutes ago, but a) it's hard to hear him speak at a show and b) that doesn't really mean anything.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    epic setlist at the meltdown show, those who are there are really lucky. not sure if there's an encore yet, but here it is:

Set 1 (From There to Here): Three Imaginary Boys, At Night, Other Voices, A Strange Day, Bananafishbones, A Night Like This, Like Cockatoos, Pictures of You, High, Jupiter Crash, 39, Us or Them, It's Over, It Can Never Be The Same,

Set 2 (From Here to There): Step Into The Light, The Hungry Ghost, alt.end, Last Day of Summer, Want, From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea, Disintegration, If Only Tonight We Could Sleep, Sinking, Shake Dog Shake, One Hundred Years, Primary, A Forest, Boys Don't Cry.

Set 1 (From There to Here): Three Imaginary Boys, At Night, Other Voices, A Strange Day, Bananafishbones, A Night Like This, Like Cockatoos, Pictures of You, High, Jupiter Crash, 39, Us or Them, It's Over, It Can Never Be The Same,

Set 2 (From Here to There): Step Into The Light, The Hungry Ghost, alt.end, Last Day of Summer, Want, From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea, Disintegration, If Only Tonight We Could Sleep, Sinking, Shake Dog Shake, One Hundred Years, Primary, A Forest, Boys Don't Cry.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Ending with Killing an Arab would've been more appropriate since it was their absolute first release, but I guess BDC works too haha. Super fucking jealous of anyone there.. If they ever get around to doing another Trilogy show, I have to make it a point to be there.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 06-24-2018 at 05:35 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah I was looking at the setlist for their Meltdown performance, looked fucking epic. I might check out some clips online. I really want them to tour again, but I feel so lucky having seen them 3 times total.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    I find original Mixed Up is really good at full blast driving around on a nice sunny day. I got the deluxe edition (along with Bad Witch, of course) yesterday.
    I just can't really get into it. I think so many of those remixes just go on for way too long. That's why I really liked Torn Down. The remixes felt more focused and interesting. But I also got the Deluxe Edition...with Bad Witch lol.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Anyone know the chances of when the Cure is set to do another major tour? I was looking at setlist.fm last night and I can't believe they haven't been to St. Louis since Bloodflowers came out in 2000.
    Robert said something about a tour happening next year. Should be pretty extensive, because it's for the 40th anniversary.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    epic setlist at the meltdown show, those who are there are really lucky. not sure if there's an encore yet, but here it is:

I'm going to briefly be grizzly and complainy which I don't like being so I'll try to keep it short.

I'm seeing the Cure playing "their only UK show this year" in Hyde park in 2 weeks. I'm already pissed that they've subsequently revealed a curfew and a max 2 hour show, especially since my last Cure show (Manchester) was inexplicably the only one to be cut short on the last run. If they'd been more honest about marketing I might have ended up going for Meltdown instead of Hyde park, and got to see some other bands as part of that festival, not least NIN! But I made my decision on false information, never mind, it should still be a great gig. Except, to differentiate "the only UK cure show this year" from "Cureation", he's put together a mind blowing setlist of awesome deep cuts for Meltdown. And based on that, some pessimistic extrapolation and some hints from a recent interview, it seems like the Hyde park show is likely to be a much more run-of-the-mill greatest hits show. Kind of like he thinks the real fans and music afficionados are going to have been at Meltdown, and the casuals at Hyde Park. Except, those tickets went on sale under the premise that it was "the only UK cure show of the year". And obviously Cure fans are going to book for that!

Going to try and clear my mind and go in open minded and enjoy whatever I get, I don't get to travel much to gigs these days, and heck there are some great bands on the support line-up too. And I've got a meet-up with some friends I haven't seen in a decade on Sunday and I'm lining up Blade Runner "Secret Cinema" for the Friday (looks like I'm going to have to buy a second set of train tickets to make that, so this is blowing my savings, but what the hell, yolo etc) so... yeah. Onwards!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    there's a pic of an original meltdown setlist on the cure community site. there was a change evidently spurred by curfew issues. "faith" was going to be played right before "a forest". replaced by "primary".

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    there's a pic of an original meltdown setlist on the cure community site. there was a change evidently spurred by curfew issues. "faith" was going to be played right before "a forest". replaced by "primary".
    Damn, Faith hasn't been played in a hot minute.. hopefully they dust it off for the Hyde Park show.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Damn, Faith hasn't been played in a hot minute.. hopefully they dust it off for the Hyde Park show.
    Let's stay positive: yes, hopefully they do.

On my Hyde Park wishlist (no idea what the odds of any of these are):

Halo
    If Only Tonight We Could Sleep
    All Cats Are Grey
    End
    At Night
    A Strange Day (or the Figurehead)
    Closedown
    This Is A Lie
    Labyrinth
    Killing An Arab

second-tier wishlist

The Snake Pit or Like Cockatoos or Fight
    The Drowning Man
    A Letter To Elise
    Out Of This World
    New Day
    Breathe
    Dredd Song or Ocean or Adonais
    The Promise
    Fear Of Ghosts

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    For the love of God, they need to play "Charlotte Sometimes"!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Yes that'd be a good call. Here's the 3 gigs I've been to (as much as for my own ref as anyone else's) 1, 2, 3.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hope everyone going to Hyde Park has a good time! I'm so jealous! I really want them to come back to the states from another massive tour. When I saw them, it was hands down the best show I've been to. Robert still sounds amazing. It's the only show where I came close to crying just because I never thought I'd get to see them.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    We all know the drill. Robert says "see you next year" or tells an interviewer there should be a new album soon, and then we hear nothing for a long time, due to all the unforeseen stuff in life. But I really do hope they come back soon. I missed so many tours because I was so poor, and I still feel like I'm trying to make up for it all. That setlist at Meltdown is right up my alley. Around the web, it was not everyone's cup of tea, so to speak. I do hope I get to hear something in that vein at some point. Came close in 2004 in Cleveland. And 2016, both Chicago shows. But it's definitely never enough.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    The liner notes for the 3CD Mixed Up list three remixes that were found and not included on the album but are apparently available digitally

primary (extended mix 1981 - remastered 2018)
    the lovecats (extended version 1983 - remastered 2018)
    inbetween days (extended version 1985 - remastered 2018)
    Maybe I'm just daft, but I can't find those anywhere online. Not amazon, not apple music. I haven't looked at spotify yet..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just have to say that I fucking love the new 3cd remaster of Mixed Up. I can’t stop listening to it and for me it’s going to be the soundtrack to this summer. “Pictures Of You” 1990 Extended Version 2018 Remaster, I can not stop listening to it. Plainsong- Edge Of The World Mix by Robert Smith gave me goosebumps I’m a huge Disintegration fan. Also From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea Love In Vain Mix by Robert Smith just fucking WOW. I love the whole set but those songs are just driving me crazy because they are so fucking good.
    i feel like such a bad NIN fan because I haven’t really sat down and gave Bad Witch a good listen to yet, that’s what happens when you release something on the same day as the Cure. I will listen to Bad Witch especially when it gets closer to showtime I’m going to see them in San Francisco both nights and looking forward to the Jesus and Mary Chain as well.
    I just can’t stop listening to the Mixed Up deluxe set it’s fucking awesome. And I’m jealous of anyone going to see the Cure this summer I wish they were playing here

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Maybe I'm just daft, but I can't find those anywhere online. Not amazon, not apple music. I haven't looked at spotify yet..
    try this:

https://www.marksaunders.com/the-cure-mixed-up-1

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demons & Ghosts View Post
    I just have to say that I fucking love the new 3cd remaster of Mixed Up. I can’t stop listening to it and for me it’s going to be the soundtrack to this summer. “Pictures Of You” 1990 Extended Version 2018 Remaster, I can not stop listening to it. Plainsong- Edge Of The World Mix by Robert Smith gave me goosebumps I’m a huge Disintegration fan. Also From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea Love In Vain Mix by Robert Smith just fucking WOW. I love the whole set but those songs are just driving me crazy because they are so fucking good.
    i feel like such a bad NIN fan because I haven’t really sat down and gave Bad Witch a good listen to yet, that’s what happens when you release something on the same day as the Cure. I will listen to Bad Witch especially when it gets closer to showtime I’m going to see them in San Francisco both nights and looking forward to the Jesus and Mary Chain as well.
    I just can’t stop listening to the Mixed Up deluxe set it’s fucking awesome. And I’m jealous of anyone going to see the Cure this summer I wish they were playing here
    I'm liking it, too. "Torn Down" sounds better on subsequent listens for sure. Didn't care for Deep Green Sea remix at first. Really like it now. The Cure were my bucket list band. Saw them twice in 2016, Vegas & Portland. Totally different shows, both most excellent! I have a feeling that "Mixed Up" is the car cd of the summer, whilst "Bad Witch" is more of cd for the house.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I suspect Robert Smith wrote that in the liner notes before actually getting the offcuts onto digital services, and it hasn't happened yet (and knowing how Cure promises go, might never happen)

He wasn't particularly complementary about them - in particular the Inbetween Days mix he alludes to being done "by person or persons unknown who took a razor to the original", I think obliquely referencing Razormaid there. I should scan the booklet and put it up