Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Qotsa

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    About Lanegan since I don't know if a seperated thread makes sense:

A friend provided me with some stellar bootlegs that seem to be official as they were sold at shows on his tours around 20120. So far I've got:

Live at Leeds 2010
    Live at The Esplanade Hotel 2010
    Live -w- band Voxhall 2010
    The Night Porter live 2010
    Live in the fields of the departed 2011

While they are mostly acoustic with little to no setlist change they sound really great. Are there any more?

I also stumbled upon a radio session in Antwerp he did in December of 2011 already showcasing some songs from blues funeral and what's on the setlist for the current tour (wishing well etc.). Any fan should have it! Google it!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I have the Leeds 2010 boot and that version of Pink Floyd's "Julia Dream" he does is the bossssss shit.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Finally got around to listening to Blues Funeral today. Enjoyed a lot of the arrangements. Very cool record.

It's only 1 listen, but I'll probably end up shelling out to see him live next month.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Lanegan's one of the few artists were I think each and every record is only getting better than the one before. Even with his new more pop orientated direction he choose for blues funeral that many seem to dislike I think he brought something new to the table. And IMHO it makes up for the absence of a true rocker like sideways in reverse on his new album. The concert in Hamburg's been amazing and I kept spinning this record for days with no end similar to bubblegum 8 years before. Ode to sad disco while somewhat a cover version has to be my most played song for 2012 so far.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I wish he makes a new record with QUOTSA, loved "Era Vulgaris" but now its time for something more conceptual like "Lullabies to Paralize"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentofChaos View Post
    Finally got around to listening to Blues Funeral today. Enjoyed a lot of the arrangements. Very cool record.

It's only 1 listen, but I'll probably end up shelling out to see him live next month.
    With a Belgian band yo. At least something good makes it out of here.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    With Creature with the Atom Brain supporting him I finally got the chance to see them live and dare I say they are even better in person than on record. Together with Triggerfinger they've got to be my favorite export from Belgium.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

I forgot how much I loved this remix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgalbraith View Post
    I really enjoy QOTSA. Seeing them open for NIN in Chicago was great
    That was a double bill, I was at the show in Madison. QOTSA really rocks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    now its time for something more conceptual like "Lullabies to Paralize"
    I adore every QOTSA album, but Lullabies is perfect from the first to last note... horribly underrated, I've had many (sober) Dark Side of the Moon-esque, awe inspiring moments listening to that album.

Fucking. Perfect.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danebraddy View Post
    I adore every QOTSA album, but Lullabies is perfect from the first to last note... horribly underrated, I've had many (sober) Dark Side of the Moon-esque, awe inspiring moments listening to that album.

Fucking. Perfect.
    I agree it was very underrated, in my opinion Lullabies is their best one yet, i think i'll give it a listen

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Homme and Oliveri make up says Oliveri in interview, and Josh guests on a Mondo Generator track:

Let the speculation begin.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    Homme and Oliveri make up says Oliveri in interview, and Josh guests on a Mondo Generator track:

Let the speculation begin.
    I knew they'd crossed paths again a few years back, but it's good to see that they've made up. Could this be the reason why we've waited five years since Era Vulgaris and the fact that their last tour was promoting the first album? Homme, Oliveri, Fertita, Melchiondo, Castillo. OH MAN! That Queens lineup would be fucking epic.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusional View Post
    What's wrong with Josh Homme in QOTSA?
    Every time I see this thread's title, the grammarian in me dies a little.
    It says "QOTSA minus Josh Homme equals God." I don't think anyone here believes that QOTSA would be godlike if Homme left the band...maybe some Kyuss Lives! fans.
    Perhaps it could be amended to "QOTSA: Josh Homme=God."

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Calling any human "God" puts them on a pedestal from which they can only fall.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Calling any human "God" puts them on a pedestal from which they can only fall.
    Well, to me he hasn't fell once in any area so we're good!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Yeah, but the whole psychology of it fits in with that sycophantic celebrity worship mindset. He's a guy who sings and plays guitar, ridiculously well, granted, but he's still just a person.

At any rate, this is probably completely inconsequential. Whatever. It's one of my buttons. I'm really tired of the way our culture acts towards celebrities and creative people.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Yeah, but the whole psychology of it fits in with that sycophantic celebrity worship mindset. He's a guy who sings and plays guitar, ridiculously well, granted, but he's still just a person.

At any rate, this is probably completely inconsequential. Whatever. It's one of my buttons. I'm really tired of the way our culture acts towards celebrities and creative people.
    I was just playing and being on the positive on the thread's title conceptions. I do agree with you for the most part on what I just quoted and replied to.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    No, I think there's some irony here. Josh Homme gives himself a lot of airs, it's part of his act and swagger: he acts all godlike but he's kind of half-joking; I think this is partly a playful reference to that.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i love qotsa *almost* as much as i love the sisters, so this hilarious promo for the new scissor sisters record is two tons of fun:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    One of the admins came back along after I created the thread & gave it its current title. No one's ever fessed up to it, but I think it's funny.

That Scissor Sisters short w/Josh is fucking hilarious. That guy can be such a ham sometimes.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    damn, im getting the CD just 'cause of Josh!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ad infinitum View Post
    One of the admins came back along after I created the thread & gave it its current title. No one's ever fessed up to it, but I think it's funny.
    I know; I'm not trying to point fingers at anyone. I've just seen it lead to addiction and mediocrity over and over, and it seems like such a toxic way to look up to someone. Add to that the fact that our culture loves to tear down the people they put on those pedestals, and blah blah blah. Okay, enough of that, bring on the new album!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    holy fuck I want his Cramps jacket!!!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Not complaining about the title's content, merely its punctuation.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    There's really a debate over the thread title in here? Really?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    New Troy Van Leeuwen interview. Here's the interesting part.

FN: So what is the latest with the Queens of the Stone Age? New album is apparently in the works?

TVL: Yes, we went out to the desert to get started on it before the holidays. We have this little place called Rancho de la Luna. We’ve actually turned a few people on to it. It’s basically just a house with some gear in it. It’s got a great vibe to it so we went out there for a few weeks and got things really rolling out there. It’s always a journey doing a Queens record because you never know how it’s going to be done. It’s always different.

FN: How is this one most different to you thus far?

TVL: It’s shaping up differently because we have some new band members that are really key. My role in the band in the past has been multi-instrumentalist: guitar, lap steel, keys. But we added a keyboard/guitar player [Dean Fertida] and so now we have three guitar players and can get any kind of keyboard playing. We are just kind of evolving.

Between me and Dean, our side of the stage is going to have a lot of gear. We both play guitar and both play keys. He’s way more of a pianist than I am, so that will be interesting too. We’re thinking somewhere between Lynyrd Skynyrd and James Brown. All the guitar parts on James Brown records are so rhythmically set in stone and juxtapose each other. It’s like taking what one guitar player would do and splitting it up. It’s multi-layered.

And our new bass player [Michael Shuman] is also really gifted and really talented. So just adding those characters to the mix changes things. It’s more fun to track live like that.

FN: After kicking things off out in the desert, you guys took a break from recording for a bit. How has that affected the way this album is being put together?

TVL: Well, we wrote a bunch of stuff during the first sessions and then took a break, and now we’re back to the ghetto-blaster demo stage.

The last record we did, it was all from the studio. That worked for that record. This time, we’re all microscopically looking at the parts and the arrangements of the songs so we can go in and perform them while the digital tape is rolling.

We came back with a lot of new ideas. In many ways, that was good. We’re not really thinking, “This is the record.” We’re thinking, “Here’s a collection of songs, and we’ll pick out what they are as we go.”

There’s no typical way, and we’re discovering what that means. We’re trying to play our favorite music, and some of that is stuff you wouldn’t expect. It’s not trying to be self-indulgent. We want to keep our fan base, but also grow.

FN: What are your expectations for a release date?

TVL: We’re looking to hand in the record in November and have a release next year, hopefully first quarter. And then, we’ll be on tour for about two years. That’s just what we’re talking about, but we’re going to tour a lot.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I'm a bit confused by the second question. That reads like the interview is from 2006. "new bass player"? Didn't Michael Shuman and Dean Fertita record "era vulgaris" with the rest? Or maybe I'm just too tired right now...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    No, they joined after the record was made. This is a new interview and it's the best news I've heard in months.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah, I believe Alain Johannes played bass on EV (or shared it with Josh/Troy)