Page 47 of 68 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 2035

Thread: Qotsa

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Was juuuuuust getting antsy about needing something new to listen to. Perfect timing. About to throw on some headphones and give 'Villains' a listen. Haven't heard any of the teasers yet.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Initial reaction from first listen: meh

Having not been a huge fan of the single, I was REALLY excited by the sound of first track, and that continued through the middle of the album. Then I realized I was just listening to at best above-average songs (especially from Homme) with admittedly rather interesting, intriguing sounds and production...but beyond that there's not much here.

Most of it seem...forgettable. It lacks an instant replayability (is that a word?) factor, which is what I thought was missing from the single. And much like I did the single, I don't think its bad, its probably good, but it just doesn't stand out to me above a lot of other music like pretty much everything else Josh Homme has been involved in has to me.

But it's only my first listen. We'll see what subsequent spins may bring, but I'm not feeling excited/anxious to listen to it again. However that says something to me given that it's a fucking Queens of the Stone Age album.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    ^ Maybe it's not "instant," but something that requires you to spend more time with it to allow it to sink in and eventually click with you? I can think of a bunch of albums I wasn't immediately impressed with that grew to be some of my favorites. Just a thought. Give it some time and try not to dismiss too quickly.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post
    Initial reaction from first listen: meh

Having not been a huge fan of the single, I was REALLY excited by the sound of first track, and that continued through the middle of the album. Then I realized I was just listening to at best above-average songs (especially from Homme) with admittedly rather interesting, intriguing sounds and production...but beyond that there's not much here.

Most of it seem...forgettable. It lacks an instant replayability (is that a word?) factor, which is what I thought was missing from the single. And much like I did the single, I don't think its bad, its probably good, but it just doesn't stand out to me above a lot of other music like pretty much everything else Josh Homme has been involved in has to me.

But it's only my first listen. We'll see what subsequent spins may bring, but I'm not feeling excited/anxious to listen to it again. However that says something to me given that it's a fucking Queens of the Stone Age album.
    my thoughts exactly, there are a few good and catchy tunes on there, 50/50 I'd say, the first and last one for instance but then there's a lot of stuff that doesnt seem to go anywhere. maybe it will open up on further listening but I'll wait for the CD or a better leak to play this properly on the stereo, this leak sort of ruins the second half of the record for me.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Pretty much have to agree with @AndItKeepsRepeating. I really liked the first four songs (with Fortress being my favorite), but after that it's not really my cup of tea. Will give it a couple more listens though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    On first listen, I like it. I'll definitely need some more listens.

Im the opposite of most opinions here so far. My favorites are Un-reborn again, The Evil Has Landed, Head Like a Haunted House.

I feel like this album has some clunky vocal/lyrical moments though, which is unlike Josh.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpiral View Post
    On first listen, I like it. I'll definitely need some more listens.

Im the opposite of most opinions here so far. My favorites are Un-reborn again, The Evil Has Landed, Head Like a Haunted House.

I feel like this album has some clunky vocal/lyrical moments though, which is unlike Josh.
    Those are my 3 favorite too and I thought the same thing about his vocals, particularly in the first half of Domesticated Animals.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Those are my 3 favorite too and I thought the same thing about his vocals, particularly in the first half of Domesticated Animals.

Yep. That one and I thought Fortress beginning was a little clunky. Love it as it gets going though.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Even though the rip had bad quality i appreciated the album and i liked it a lot (and this is coming from someone who didn't really liked "The Way you used to do"...)

I think it's a mix between "Era Vulgaris" and the new stuff, liked the use of synths and the weird guitars....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    ^ Maybe it's not "instant," but something that requires you to spend more time with it to allow it to sink in and eventually click with you? I can think of a bunch of albums I wasn't immediately impressed with that grew to be some of my favorites. Just a thought. Give it some time and try not to dismiss too quickly.
    I agree with you, I generally make it a rule to not rush to judgement when it comes to music. I too can think of a bunch of albums I didn't like maybe even hated on first listen and now love. (Hell, one of them is The Downward Spiral, though I was like 12 when I first heard it and had no idea what the fuck I was listening to)

Normally wouldn't make such a statement after one listen. However, the reason I find this initial impression incredibly telling here is because, quite literally, every other QotSA, Kyuss, even TCV has excited me on one listen to the point where I start repeatedly binge listening again and again.

The fact that this doesn't given that previous track record is significant.
    Last edited by AndItKeepsRepeating; 08-10-2017 at 03:40 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Pretty good stuff, though I'll admit nothing really stood out to me besides the opener.

The leak quality isn't great..it's compressed to shit and the volume is low. I'll wait until a better version is out before giving it another listen.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I'll be so upset if Head isn't a tour staple. Unreasonably upset.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    EDIT:

Fortress, Un-Reborn Again and Villains of Circumstance are all pretty great.
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 08-11-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Although I like the album, I think it may be my least favorite, or maybe tied for last with Era Vulgaris. Fortunately every Queens album is good, if not great, so the worst Queens album is still a solid album by all means.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Qotsa

Someone earlier mentioned acoustic previews of the new songs. Does anyone have any links or quality copies?

I absolutely loved the acoustic radio performances in the run up to Era Vulgaris so I'm curious about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    My preorder of the indie version of the vinyl will ship shortly according to an email sent the other day. Definitely will buy the cd version on release day. I'm just gonna sit the leak out on this one.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    My preorder of the indie version of the vinyl will ship shortly according to an email sent the other day. Definitely will buy the cd version on release day. I'm just gonna sit the leak out on this one.
    There's been reports of lots of those emails going around. It's still probably a week and a half from shipping.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninhead View Post
    There's been reports of lots of those emails going around. It's still probably a week and a half from shipping.
    Album doesn't come out till the 25th so I don't care much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I gotta add Hideaway to my list of favorites. I think the strength of this album is in the back half. It's definitely not as upbeat as I'd anticipated. I think Josh painted a picture of this album being the 'light' to LC's 'darkness'. But I'd say this album seems darker to me.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    *cough* could someone PM me *cough* I needz dis...

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Question: Does "Un-Reborn Again" cut out 3/4 of the way through the song for everyone else or did I get a bad copy?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Question: Does "Un-Reborn Again" cut out 3/4 of the way through the song for everyone else or did I get a bad copy?

No, the main leak that's been spreading across the interwebs includes the volume drop in that song. I've been listening to it that way, but don't mind too much. I am excited for my preordered copy to ship so I can hear it as it was meant to be, though!

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    No, the main leak that's been spreading across the interwebs includes the volume drop in that song. I've been listening to it that way, but don't mind too much. I am excited for my preordered copy to ship so I can hear it as it was meant to be, though!
    Ok cool, thanks for the clarification! I too pre-ordered the album but I cant wait that long

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    How do I log in to see my private messages?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmya View Post
    How do I log in to see my private messages?
    You're already logged in if you're posting.

Under the "Echoing the Sound" logo at the top right, there are a few links. The third one over is Private Messages. Click that.
    Or click on "Notifications" near the top right. If you have a message, it should have a little red box next to it with a number. (That will also notify you if someone has liked one of your posts, quoted one of your posts, etc.)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Good interview, thanks for posting.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    So I haven't heard the leak yet. Not a big fan of the single but for those who've listened, what song is the one played in the teaser where the band is being interviewed and like, 30 secs of a song plays, and homme goes, never heard that or something along those lines. I liked that snippet.

From what I've heard the album sounds like my least favorite parts of EV and sounds mixed harshly. Maybe it's ronson.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    So I haven't heard the leak yet. Not a big fan of the single but for those who've listened, what song is the one played in the teaser where the band is being interviewed and like, 30 secs of a song plays, and homme goes, never heard that or something along those lines. I liked that snippet.

From what I've heard the album sounds like my least favorite parts of EV and sounds mixed harshly. Maybe it's ronson.
    Feet Don't Fail Me Now, album opener.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Got my vinyl two days early! Sweeet! Maybe the NIN camp can switch to Matador Records; the package was pristine.

Last edited by Failure; 08-23-2017 at 08:03 PM.