Page 53 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 2035

Thread: Qotsa

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Saw them 6 times in the past already and the shows ranged from mindblowing to lackluster so I indeed know what I could miss out... but I don't want to fuck up the overall amazing experience I had in 2013 when I last saw them after not enjoying two shows at all before. Maybe the next record will pull me back in.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Saw them 6 times in the past already and the shows ranged from mindblowing to lackluster so I indeed know what I could miss out... but I don't want to fuck up the overall amazing experience I had in 2013 when I last saw them after not enjoying two shows at all before. Maybe the next record will pull me back in.
    Fair enough....Like Clockword is a tough act to follow up so I can understand your hesitation. I was just trying to point out that the live act they put on now is better than what the album sounds like.

For me, nothing will top the 2013 Halloween show at The Forum.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    That show and one of the dates I went to on the Self-title reissue tour were my favorites.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Never thought I'd be able to buy more tickets so soon to shows so close to home. Bought London, ON and Rochester this morning. The long wait begins.

NIN better announce a tour, or I'm going to use all my vacation time on this band.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    was that the show jake shears came out with them for "keep your eyes peeled"?

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    was that the show jake shears came out with them for "keep your eyes peeled"?

On another note, I secured my tickets for BOTH San Diego shows

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    So, while I sold my ticket I surprisingly was given a press ticket so I gave in and went to see the guys. Someone out there must have desperately wanted me to go and while I was with great people and actually looking forward to the show, I was indeed utterly dissapointed and seemingly the only one who felt that way.

For me the show was absolutely mediocre and totally not up to the high standard they set in the past for me. I have to thank QOTSA and especially Josh for alot of things, since Queens were the band that introduced me to pretty much every band that I deal with right now whether it is only for my private pleasure or for work as I choose to work in this industry because of my love for music. And Queens were an integral for building my mindset about music, artists, how a concert should be and what I love about music. Over the course of 12 years I pretty much met everybody from the desert rock scene from Chris Goss to Mark Lanegan, Jesse Hughes and people like Brant Bjork, Sean Wheeler and Dave Catching et al. And I am truly lucky to get all the chances I got and still get.

So yeah, I own a shit ton of bootlegs too and I absolutely adored this band for years and honestly, I don't know why I hate pretty much everything they do right now with Like Clockwork... being somewhat of a second coming.

Back to the show, the new songs were god awful IMHO yet "the way we used to do" indeed was pretty smashing compared to the studio version and got me moving very quickly. Old gems like "monsters in the parasol" or "leg of lamb" were absolutely amazing as well, but with a setlist spanning 22 songs and me being bored except for maybe 8... well, I did not enjoy it. The band played tight and fine, but there was no spark or at least not the one that I felt before. The light show felt cheap as well when being compared to the firework that was the 2013 tour. What has happend?

BUT the most striking thing hasn't got shit to do with the band is probably the fact that I think the venues they play are way too big. (Even my very first NIN show was shit because the venue was absolutely inapporiate) Here in Munich the sound was a hot mess and the lighting situation subpar as well. And then there are people that come out of the crowd telling you that this is the best thing they saw? Yet they may only know two songs if any, zero lyrics etc. and are only there for the sake of it being a QOTSA show. That might be a snobbisch opinion of me and I am by no menas someone who tells people to act quietly on a goddamn rock show, but some of you may catch my drift. Same goes for bands like Royal Blood or the Foo Fighters.

So yeah, I will always love the swagger that Josh Homme puts on stage although I think he used to be more focussed and I can appreaciate that the band is trying new things and evolving, while I will always miss those riffs that shine through on songs like "millionaire" and "song for the deaf". And yes, there are many more bands to enjoy, but the reason for my rants is simply the fact that this band has truly been very important to me. Time to move on? Maybe and sadly. And c'mon, am I really the only one? I actually start to feel bad and like a complete dick...

That being sad, I would still very much like to watch them in a club or small studio. The band truly shines IMHO when you can soak up all the details and watch them play upfront. When I can concentrate on what is being done I can even enjoy the new songs. So yes, that would be something I could truly enjoy from QOTSA. Just my 2 cents, if anybody cares.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, one think I really liked was the intro this time around. That's a department where QOTSA always hits the nail on the head. Loved it!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed the QOTSA guys backing Iggy Pop. That being said, I've seen them a real lot but think I'm going to give the show a pass this time. The new album is pretty good and all but the show is in an arena. Having seen them in many smaller venues I don't think bigger is going to be better with this band. I was lucky to see them in a tiny bar with Dave Grohl on drums. Don't think they are going to top that show. Budgetary considerations....

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Saw them in London Wembley on Saturday, still amazing, still cool. Really wanted to hear Feet Don't Fail Me Now live and it was fabulous as expected. Josh did his usual little dancing and banter with the crowd, even telling off the security for using their spotlights. He was limping at the end though. My only bugbear was that the sound was a bit 'muddy' but that maybe due to where I was seated. Wish I didn't sell my O2 ticket now

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Are they still fun to see stuck back in a seat? The closest show to me already had its small pit sell out and resells are insane. It’s a 2 hour drive each way and I don’t know if they’d be as good cut off like that and would hate for my first show to be a let down.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    They were still good, I mean most of the people around me stood up most of the time, but yes I would of preferred a standing ticket or a seat nearer the front. Excellent reviews from London 02 last night.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    josh's soundtrack for in the fade was apparently released last week, on goddamn apple music.
    Was anyone able to listen? is it any good?
    I wonder if/how/when we can purchase this...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Just getting started on this, but working out to be a good listen - Adam Buxton podcast with Josh Homme:

https://soundcloud.com/adam-buxton/e...berry-assemble

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Festival ticket for Finsbury Park purchased..kerching

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    It's streaming on Spotify- https://open.spotify.com/album/1svjhdKLKOv80Dedgy2A1K

Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    josh's soundtrack for in the fade was apparently released last week, on goddamn apple music.
    Was anyone able to listen? is it any good?
    I wonder if/how/when we can purchase this...

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    So, I just discovered the QOTSA Wiki and it's pretty damn good. And funny.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    So at Acoustic Christmas, it was not a good night for Josh. He kicked a female photographer's camera, and it looks like it smacks her right in the head from the force of it. Apparently he also took out a pocketknife and cut his face. He looks like a total dick, and like he's out of control and needs to get off tour. Makes me sad.

https://www.facebook.com/CLauren/vid...5529037516324/

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Yeah, that's pretty fucked up in general. Sounds like he needs a break...and to make a few apologies while he's at it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Wait what was that about cutting his own face with a pocketknife??

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Wait what was that about cutting his own face with a pocketknife??
    Apparently it was during No One Knows. Someone said he first ran it across his cheek and then his forehead, which was cut in the process. Maybe he was trying to elicit some reaction/life from the dead radio show crowd and thought that'd be a good idea? No idea.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Sounds like he made a real asshole out of himself at that show. The girl will be filing criminal charges against him tomorrow apparently....Wasnt their bass player the one ranting and raving that the Paris bombings were an inside job...Might be time for that band to disappear for a decade or so...
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 12-10-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Wasnt their bass player the one ranting and raving that the Paris bombings were an inside job
    That was Jesse Hughes, the lead singer of Eagles of Death Metal, one of Josh's other bands. I believe he said that he thought one of the security guards was in on it, not that it was a government conspiracy or anything like that.

Also, the photographer can't file charges. She can report the incident to the police. The police would then file charges, if they so choose.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Maybe Josh and Manson should team up for a project.

Edit - Here are her photos - two right as he kicks her, and then one of him after he cut his face.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BciIUG4Dh1-/
    Last edited by Sarah K; 12-10-2017 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I love the band, but Josh's treatment of the photographer in that clip is deplorable. Sincerely hope she's okay, and that he gets the hell away from people for a while to sort his shit out. Made me embarrassed to find myself walking around in a QOTSA t-shirt today after watching that.

The self-harming thing is actually way less surprising, to me... I think my buddy went to a club show on the Lullabies tour in early '05 when Homme cut himself with a beer bottle to shut up the assholes in the crowd yelling "where's Nick!?", or something to that effect. So that's pretty fucked up.

EDIT: Josh has apologized.

Last night, while in a state of being lost in performance, I kicked over various lighting and equipment on our stage. Today it was brought to my attention that this included a camera held by photographer Chelsea Lauren. I did not mean for that to happen and I am very sorry. I would never intentionally cause harm to anyone working at or attending one of our shows and I hope Chelsea will accept my sincere apology.—Joshua Homme
    Last edited by botley; 12-10-2017 at 03:59 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Looks like he was going for some “cool rock star” move where he knocks the camera out of her hands. Dumb. Surely isn’t a violent kick and I have a hard time believing she suffered “serious injury”.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    He should have just said be was coked out of his mind or whatever, because that would be much more believable to me than "I was lost in performance".

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Part of their stage set on this leg of the tour has been these big wobbly vertical LED bars that the band deliberately kick and bump into for amusing effect. So, in a sense, I buy that he could have lost his composure and kicked something else on the stage that he shouldn't have. But that's still a shitty thing to do, and using the R-word when combatively challenging an indifferent crowd is another ongoing behaviour of his I feel embarrassed by, and something I really wish he would stop doing.