Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Qotsa

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I am getting giddy thinking about Dave possibly touring with QOTSA. Perhaps TCV can open the show and some Probot songs can be played as well..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I always forget how much I dig this band.

I haven't listened in over a year probably but I can't wait to pop these tunes on right now, I'm actually a little too excited I feel weird right now.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Dave Grohl, Trent Reznor, and now NICK OLIVERI:

http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/1...ne-age-record/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sweeetttt. I hope he rejoins. He really brought some balks to the music.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I really hope this will be a return to form since Homme hasn't put out anything worthwhile IMHO since the last desert sessions, except for Them Crooked Vultures. I'm finally looking forward to a QOTSA record again, although I do not really know how TR fits into the picture despite vocal constributions.

On the onewhisky-forum some guy talked to Lanegan about a possible QOTSA reunion and surprise, surprise, Mark wrote some lyrics and already had a first listen at the new stuff. I really hope he returns for at least 1 or two tracks since he started to play hangin' tree again at his recent shows.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ugh......

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Josh Homme gave an update on the album to Zane Lowe:

He stated that lyrically, the new LP is “more vulnerable,” and that musically, it’s “deeper, richer and stranger” than the band’s previous efforts. He described the new music as something that “sounds like you’re running in a dream the whole time,” but one that’ll hopefully end up like “a spoonful of sugar.” The frontman concluded by saying that, with every record, he hopes to “pull every trick I know to wrap hopes in strangeness” – but with this one, “the final trick I have is ‘no trick at all.’”

I also found this picture on a photography website. It's a project that shows rockstars right after performing (so, sweaty tired rockstars).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    Josh Homme gave an update on the album to Zane Lowe
    Zane Lowe did a documentary on Songs For The Deaf (BBC, so UK only, unless you have the means)

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    thanks for the link! listening now and it actually works fine here in Germany. Guess BBC lets at least Europeans listen to their porgrams.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I'm listening just fine and I'm smack dab in Nevada. I don't think this one is blocked for foreigners, for some reason.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I think BBC radio can be accessed worldwide, it's TV that's region locked.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Songs for the Dead is such a good album.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Oh that's cool. You're welcome non licence payers
    I guess it doesn't need to be mention that there's a QOTSA track under the new Sound City trailer as well as a buttload of Josh?
    edit: Also, looks like Grohl isn't going to tour, and they're auditioning drummers
    Last edited by scorpiusdiamond; 12-04-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: missed a word

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    I've never seen that video before. Now I see why he was kicked out of the band. I really don't know exactly what to think about that. I guess it was funny (still a poor word choice I suppose), but towards the end things just got out of hand.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
    I've never seen that video before. Now I see why he was kicked out of the band. I really don't know exactly what to think about that. I guess it was funny (still a poor word choice I suppose), but towards the end things just got out of hand.
    It's a classic, and my favorite video with Nick. I think the band was enjoying the hell out of that performance, you can even see Josh laughing.

Nick perfectly fit the QOTSA eras he played on, and they parted ways at the right time. At any rate, the naked bassist thing could only go on for so long - but it was awesome while it did.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    This looks amazing!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Just listened to the QOTSA Radio 1 show finally. If you haven't yet listened to it do it now. There's only four days left to listen to it.
    The way they recorded Song For The Dead... holy crap. I'll let you get the goosebumps I had. I literally yelled "FUCK OFF!" at my computer.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Has anyone ripped it and youtubed it?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    yeah it's a really great presentation of the making of the record. i was quite impressed. the interviews were phenomenal!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Really interesting interview, thanks for letting us know.

Some additional info about the drums on this record.
    About the drum roll in "No One Knows", it's not just straight 16th notes like Zane thinks, it's a drum rudiment called herta. It's two 32nd notes followed by two 16th notes. That's what makes it so interesting, it's difficult to keep the notes even, especially at faster tempos.
    I'll also add that Dave is known for playing with only single bass drum pedal. If you listen to the chorus of "First it Giveth", most people would probably say that there's some double bass drumming involved but it's actually Dave's clever way of using the floor tom to mimic that scenario. It sounds really meaty.
    Like Dave said, recording drums and cymbals separately gave him the opportunity to get the drums very punchy sounding. I was not aware of that, it's really interesting way of recording.

Here's hoping that the new album has the same energy as "Songs for the Deaf" had!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Weird.. T-Mobile is airing a new commercial with the 'Millionaire' instrumental playing.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Not sure where else to post this so I'll just leave it here:

Yeah, this exists...

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    So Grohl announced he's not touring with the band.

I hope at best he will do a couple of shows.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpiral View Post
    Weird.. T-Mobile is airing a new commercial with the 'Millionaire' instrumental playing.
    I heard that as well and was taken by surprise.

On topic, excited for new music finally. Era Vulgaris turns 6 next year...holy crap.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's crazy that it's been that long.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Still they managed to stay in the spot light for most of the 6 years. Good job, put I really hope that they return to a heavier sound and more meaty parts like songs for the deaf and to some extent lullabies had.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I'm listening just fine and I'm smack dab in Nevada. I don't think this one is blocked for foreigners, for some reason.
    Great listen. Loved hearing about how Dave came to drum for the record and record them.

Yeah no blocking here. Didn't have to use tunnel bear

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I loved the Era Vulgaris tour.

A pity they seem to have sound issues onstage (JHo keeps complaining that it sounds like being inside a pillow, and most everyone's vocals start to go quite flat after "Sick, Sick, Sick") but otherwise this is a KILLER show.
    Last edited by botley; 12-10-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    A couple of images from QOTSA recently:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    awesome

Could I be any more excited about this project?