Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Random HTDA thoughts

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So this is funny. I never saw the final scene of the How Long video because i am button happy and have always turned it off too fast.

I saw it the other day and was like HOLY shit. Those last few seconds change the possible interpretations DRASTICALly.

We wound up, those of us who live here, having a spirited discussion about it, the sort of discussion you would find in a college ethics course, re the protagonist's justification or lack thereof .

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    The Last Person on Earth and Black Mirror shirts are great. I still wear both of them all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The intro to parasite reminds me of the intro to Social Deception by Skinny Puppy.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm still kind of bummed that they never played "Is Your Love Strong Enough?" on their tour. I feel like it would have fit in really well right before they played "A Drowning".

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    It's, uh, kinda interesting that the deadmau5 mix of Ice Age is the top song on How To Destroy Angels' Google Play Music page. I'd actually be kind of insulting if I were an artist and that were the case. What is the top song on their Spotify page?

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    It's, uh, kinda interesting that the deadmau5 mix of Ice Age is the top song on How To Destroy Angels' Google Play Music page. I'd actually be kind of insulting if I were an artist and that were the case. What is the top song on their Spotify page?
    First track on the new album.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    HTDA is too gray, gloomy and ominous for me to listen to. #random

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Welcome Oblivion still seems like a weird and extremely depressed, post-apocalypse offshoot of Year Zero to me

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Welcome Oblivion still seems like a weird and extremely depressed, post-apocalypse offshoot of Year Zero to me
    Yup.
    I think it IS that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Welcome Oblivion is not meant to be listened to with a clear mind.

We Fade Away brings people closer.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Is Rob still a part of this do you think?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    The Space In Between. Deadmau5 remix is the 2nd most listened to track after that one though...

Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    Is Rob still a part of this do you think?
    If HTDA is even still a thing, then I think Rob's left it. I reckon, from recent interviews, that he's cut all ties with his former life for a while. Good luck to him.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    hey guys, im not sure if the HTDA live in chicago ever had an actual physical DVD with case/artwork but if anyone has a copy they would sell i would love to buy it

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Thematically I think Welcome Oblivion fits 2017 so much better than it fit 2013. It's really resonated with me in a way I don't remember it doing at release or in the years since. Strings and Attractors has got to be one of the most beautiful things Trent's worked on. He and Mariqueen's vocal harmony in the chorus is flawless stuff, and I hope her mention of next year potentially bringing more HTDA ends up being accurate -- the themes of apocalypse, digital detachment, noise as language and language as noise and the exploration of feeling like we're on the edge of losing our individual identities are all very fitting to right now and I'd love to see them explore more of this headspace and sound.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    HTDA confession: it took me five (well, almost) years to discover that Unintended Consequences was a thing. I'm kind of addicted to it now. Wish there was more stuff like this and the Conversation With demos around.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post
    HTDA confession: it took me five (well, almost) years to discover that Unintended Consequences was a thing.
    It took me until this very second

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    what is unintended consequences???

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snichols View Post
    what is unintended consequences???
    Pretty sure it was one of the songs exclusive to the vinyl tracklisting since I have it on my hard drive ripped from the white label CD but I honestly don't know the standard CD tracklisting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snichols View Post
    hey guys, im not sure if the HTDA live in chicago ever had an actual physical DVD with case/artwork but if anyone has a copy they would sell i would love to buy it
    Seconded
    I'd pay the cost/shipping for it

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperpower View Post
    Seconded
    I'd pay the cost/shipping for it
    Let me add this to the queue of things I want to get done in the coming months.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I mentioned a while back that I’d love to see HTDA cover “How Soon is Now?”

I still stand by that.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    Let me add this to the queue of things I want to get done in the coming months.
    Add that as a patreon tier!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    some humour: friends of mine had a band called the aquanettas (were sort of like the bangles) & somehow they were booked to open for NIN in the early days i think in florida. predictably, that sort of music didn't go over real well. my friend's said it was like being in "children of the corn", haha.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I mentioned a while back that I’d love to see HTDA cover “How Soon is Now?”

I still stand by that.
    Damn that would be amazing! It’s a long “circular” song, the structure fits perfectly with the way HTDA structures their music.

One can only wish.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I would've loved this project more if it didn't feel like such a Trent Reznor carbon copy. At the end of the day, the lyrics ... production ... vocal arrangements ... it had the Nine Inch Nails blueprint and formula all over it.

It would've been more exciting to hear Trent's version of garage rock or even something along the lines of FKA twigs style r&b ... something COMPLETELY outside of the wheelhouse of Nine Inch Nails to test what he was capable of musically along with Mariqueen's vocals. But ... when I hear a song like this ...

... I'm sorry, that's just straight up 2005 - 2008 Nine Inch Nails.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    It's catchy as he'll tho

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    It's still great music IMO, but agreed. Does very much feel like recent NIN or TR/AR with Mariqueen's vocals, particularly that initial EP.

I'd really like to see Trent outside his comfort zone with a more analogue band, playing less rigid structures. Absolutely no looping of anything, live instruments, messing around with dynamism, progression and time signatures, maybe even no synths. More garage rock as you say @thefragile_jake .

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    To be honest, I'm over the whole "It sounds too much like Nine Inch Nails!" argument. Anything that Trent plays a major part in creating is going to sound like Nine Inch Nails, and I'm totally fine with that.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Honestly a part of me just wish Trent said fuck it, this is Nine Inch Nails and not go under another name. I think he did it because he anticipated some fans would have bashed him for having his wife on vocals and cry about it like those John & Yoko kinda bashing types out there. It sounds like NIN, just make it be NIN. Especially now that Mariqueen joined him on Not The Actual Events. Just say fuck it and let her be on NIN tracks. If you got a problem with that, then fuck off. This is Nine Inch Nails now, deal with it. Mariqueen can show up whenever she and Trent like to have her on a track.