Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
Results 631 to 660 of 710

Thread: Random HTDA thoughts

  1. #631
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    The Vision Behind HTDA

    Does anyone know what the main idea or purpose behind HTDA is?

    I would really like to decipher their message/messages. Each song has a story to tell it seems but I'm finding it challenging to grasp it.

  2. #632
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,842
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    Does anyone know what is going on technically speaking in the song Keep it Together?

    I am blown away by the subtle effect on Mariqueens voice. When she says "tremolo", yeah of course we hear the harmony, but underneath, her delay/echo comes out slightly more prominently. It sounds like a quiet little scattered loop of her voice that ends abruptly. What gear are they using for her voice? It looks like they've got Traktor set up too or something...
    The music video ( ) shows a lot of the tech and gear from the song, but I don't think they've gone into detail about what was used on that song (unlike The Believers, wish there was something like that for every track).
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    Does anyone know what the main idea or purpose behind HTDA is?

    I would really like to decipher their message/messages. Each song has a story to tell it seems but I'm finding it challenging to grasp it.
    I don't think there's a band concept - some songs are clearly about relationships, some about fan reactions (imo) and some about broader themes.

  3. #633
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,820
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I always thought they were about end-times, some sort of dystopian future, well Welcome Oblivion anyway

  4. #634
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I appreciate your input.

  5. #635
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    By the way you said they went into more detail with the song The Believers. Do you mean they made a music video that shows their gear more or they explained it in an interview or something?

    I'd like to find out about that one.

  6. #636
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,984
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    By the way you said they went into more detail with the song The Believers. Do you mean they made a music video that shows their gear more or they explained it in an interview or something?

    I'd like to find out about that one.
    http://www.wired.com/2010/05/process_song/

  7. #637
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks for the link; great to get a peak into how things are done.

  8. #638
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,842
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    Thanks for the link; great to get a peak into how things are done.
    You can simply right click and download all those audio tracks (as .ogg files) if you want to keep them for a HTDA playlist like I have :P

  9. #639
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Brilliant idea. Makes you realize they're not just sitting there meticulously inserting each sound one at a time. No they're playing back a collection of sounds and loops that have already been recorded.

  10. #640
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sometimes, I'm waiting for the sausage to arrive.

  11. #641
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chekhov, Russia
    Posts
    1,799
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    A Drowning is the first song I listened in New year

  12. #642
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    973
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Lol mark weaver needs some new ideas:


    http://www.wired.com/2010/01/ff_inte...social_twitter

  13. #643
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,115
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    That's from 2010 and it's also just what he does.

  14. #644
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,358
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Circles ftw!

  15. #645
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Who knows what instrument Rob used in the music video for Ice Age? I'm talking about the big box/computer looking thing with the old school screen; the instrument making the high pitched ringing/droning sound.

  16. #646
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,423
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    Who knows what instrument Rob used in the music video for Ice Age? I'm talking about the big box/computer looking thing with the old school screen; the instrument making the high pitched ringing/droning sound.
    i can't seem to find the interview, but i remember him or trent mentioning exactly what it was at some point. mayhaps someone with stronger googling skills than i should tackle this. or @sheepdean probably knows.

  17. #647
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    2,427
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    What if he's just "looking busy" and "turning that knob that does nothing"?

  18. #648
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    Who knows what instrument Rob used in the music video for Ice Age? I'm talking about the big box/computer looking thing with the old school screen; the instrument making the high pitched ringing/droning sound.
    It's a PPG Realizer http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/ppgrealizer.php

  19. #649
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,842
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    What if he's just "looking busy" and "turning that knob that does nothing"?
    I think even if you started with 0 musical talent, working alongside Trent+crew for over a decade would mean you'd know more than how to just pretend to use a synth :P

  20. #650
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,253
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I think even if you started with 0 musical talent, working alongside Trent+crew for over a decade would mean you'd know more than how to just pretend to use a synth :P
    I'm pretty sure he was referencing the leaked audio from the 2013 rehearsals

  21. #651
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks a lot I really appreciate it. Half my questions people know the answers to.

  22. #652
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,358
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    "How Long?" sounds so 90s but so current at the same time, it's impossible not to like it!

  23. #653
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Really? You think it sounds 90's? Wow I never got that impression. To me it sounds quite modern because of it's hi-fidelity.

  24. #654
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,842
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    Really? You think it sounds 90's? Wow I never got that impression. To me it sounds quite modern because of it's hi-fidelity.
    High fidelity audio has existed for decades though

  25. #655
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,423
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    Really? You think it sounds 90's? Wow I never got that impression. To me it sounds quite modern because of it's hi-fidelity.
    i think the comment was more about style than sound quality.

  26. #656
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Part of Texas Where Motherfuckers Actually Wear Cowboy Hats and Whatnot
    Posts
    4,678
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    they used How Long during the NBA playoffs last year (or was it the year before?)

    Whenever it came out, you know.

    I only heard it on one commercial, one time, but i thought it was really dope.


    edit: oh...i tried to search for it and i already mentioned that here in april of 13.
    GawdDAMN time flies.

    you guys talking about the song made me think about it.
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-23-2015 at 02:44 PM.

  27. #657
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    That's true, but I don't know if you can say the 90's was notoriously known for being high-fi. Most of the 90's music I've heard was from Depeche Mode, well, NIN of course, and grundge like Nirvana and other stuff like The Cure, which was pretty lo-fi, and the weird lo-fi alternative stuff from This Mortal Coil, etc.

  28. #658
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I agree he was probably talking about style. but even style/composition, I still don't see it. I would be curious to know what songs he might affiliate himself with when hearing How Long.

  29. #659
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,842
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    That's true, but I don't know if you can say the 90's was notoriously known for being high-fi. Most of the 90's music I've heard was from Depeche Mode, well, NIN of course, and grundge like Nirvana and other stuff like The Cure, which was pretty lo-fi, and the weird lo-fi alternative stuff from This Mortal Coil, etc.
    Grunge isn't an antonym to hi-fi. It simply means High Fidelity: that is, the audio produced through your monitors is very faithful to the original recording. There are musicians who intentionally produce Low-Fi (Anal Cunt for example), but no mainstream artist could do that and hope for radio play.

  30. #660
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,423
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    I agree he was probably talking about style. but even style/composition, I still don't see it. I would be curious to know what songs he might affiliate himself with when hearing How Long.
    the piano chords/vocal melody that open the song are very stylistically linked to a lot of the pop of the mid-late 90s, a la britney spears, christina aguilera, backstreet boys, etc.
    the song, to me, sounds like a great mash-up of that pop style with HTDA's usual fare. so i freakin' love it.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions