Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The Verve

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

The Verve

I didn't really expect to get into The Verve, and I haven't listened to Bittersweet Symphony for a while, so I checked it out, and then checked out Lucky Man and Sonnet, and it turned out that I ended up enjoying those songs and videos. I've also figured that I'd at least listen to Urban Hymns and everything before it, before getting around to Forth. I also didn't expect to see them break up so many times, but there has been a lot of speculation of them reforming again. (As with just about any other band that has broken up.)

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I thought Forth was okay when it came out in 2008, I'd like to see them reunite again since I missed them before, but something tells me it'll be a while since Richard is still one of the most assholish guys in rock and roll.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I liked Bittersweet Symphony the first 7,886 times I've heard it everywhere.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Yeah...there's other songs that aren't Bittersweet Symphony. Urban Hymns was pretty insturmental in my growth (along with OK Computer and Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space...these all came out in 1997). Richard has an awesome voice and I still think Nick McCabe is one of the most underrated guitarists ever.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Bittersweet Symphony will be one song I can never get sick of.. Whenever I hear it I have to listen to it. I went and ventured into their other music and it is ok for me, but nothing that stands out at the moment.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Urban Hymns is a fantastic record! I got it for Christmas in 1997, the year it came out as I liked Bittersweet Symphony, and to my surprise I fell in love with the rest of the album as well. After that I went and grabbed all their back catalog, but it was never as good as Urban Hymns. 1997-1999 was a really depressing time for me, and there are some really sad songs on Urban Hymns, but for some reason, listening to them always helped. Weeping Willow and Velvet morning are great songs!

Always loved the video for Bittersweet as well. Loved how he would just walk down the street without a care in the world bumping into everyone and not giving a fuck. Suites his personality quite well now that I think about it. I've always wanted to try that. Just walking down the middle of a busy street or mall and not more for anyone, but I always puss out at the last moment and move for people, hahah. I just can't be as much of a dick as Ashcroft.

His solo stuff is pretty darn good as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    When they first came out back in 1992 they were very much part of the Shoegaze scene. I love their first album A Storm in Heaven. From 93. Before they split up for the first time. Their earlier material is a lot more Psychedelic and has a vibe similar to the band's Ride. Spiritualized etc.

Nick Mccabe is one of the most underrated guitarists ever. I have not been a fan of many reformations of recent years other than MBV, Dinosaur Jr but i saw them in 2007 skeptical of their reunion they blew me away. They were better than i had ever seen them. Nick was bending everyone's mind on guitar.

Shame that did not translate into Fourth that well. I think they should get back together again, Im certain they will. Much rather them play again than Oasis.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I love Urban Hymns...The Drugs Don't Work, Weeping Willow, Chasing That Butterfly...Such great songs.

Just listened to Forth last night actually, and it still holds up pretty damn good as well. Love is Noise is so damn catchy, then there's the psychedelic sneaking in with Numbness.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Funny story when in 2007 (I believe) Coldplay did play an open air gig here in Munich. As much as we hate Coldplay me and a friend just had to sneak up nearby and watch Ashcroft open up for them with binoculars. Pretty stupid, but it was worth it since I never got to see the Verve or Ashcroft before and I really do hope there will be some gigs along the way in the future!

I really like his solo stuff and of course Forth which was a good album IMHO. Not as good as their earlier output, but still. And yeah, lucky man, bittersweet symphony and all that jazz still rock my socks to this day.

That Glastonbury 2008 performance is up there among my most precious bootlegs. Love it to death and whenever I dig it up I will listen to it for days. And guess what I'll be doing right now!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This thread needs more A Northern Soul love.

(Best Verve track there is)

I really like Forth too. Plenty of great "epic" sounding stuff on there. They really knocked it out of the park with "Love is Noise". A perfect single - I couldn't think of a better follow-up to "Bittersweet Symphony".

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    A Norther Soul is a great album, it's what made me a fan, great songs. Ashcroft has such a great voice.
    I seen them live in Glasgow when Urban Hymns was released, still one of the best gigs I have attended. Went to an Ashcroft solo show too, good stuff.

Never heard Forth.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Awesome show start to finish

Pretty sure the uploader is a NIN fan as well

Space & Time documentary from Forth special edition DVD

Last edited by Reznor2112; 03-15-2013 at 10:13 AM.