Thread: Marilyn Manson - Born Villain

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    We're all appreciative of the live videos!
    Glad to hear it!

PLENTY more to come as soon as I get home, I assure you! These were just the few I happened to upload when I stopped home for one day in the middle of the trip since I live a couple hours away from St. Louis and it was on the way to the next show anyway.

All in good time!

And personally, I'm a BIG fan of his one-night-only pantyhose-headpiece and really glad I captured it on film.

Right away of course it gives the impression of person with the general appearance of a long-eared rabbit. Or "the rabbit's just a monkey in disguise," if you will. Countless other rabbit-references in his body of work to pick from, naturally...that just seems to be the most directly appropriate here.

I mean, if you consider that "Dope Hat" could easily be interpreted as Brian Warner essentially conjuring Marilyn Manson into being just as "Tourniquet" is pretty much about almost exactly the same thing (Brian Warner conjuring Marilyn Manson into being as an artificial companion in the Anton LaVey tradition, as a tourniquet to assist in his survival after having been "cut off" from society) then I think you'll see it's wholly appropriate here.

ESPECIALLY considering it's an older man donning the pantyhose!

Unless you've already forgotten the central motif and structure of Manson's autobiography, The Long, Hard Road Out of Hell, being that he became what he feared most, that is...namely the devil/his grandfather. First sentence of the book: "Hell to me was my grandfather's basement," for instance. And the whole breakdown/epiphany of going back down there after his grandfather's funeral only to realize how closely he'd come to identify with him after all those years, painting tracheotomy incisions on his own throat and indulging in bizarre sex acts and WEARING LADIES HOSIERY and all that.

Which, again, is very similar to the overall themes of conjured-personae explored in the aforementioned tracks...not to mention numerous others, obviously.

So as much as I'd have LOVED to have seen the elaborate staging they'd planned for "Tourniquet" on this tour (it seems like it was plagued with problems and just dropped for "Coma White" and the snow-bubbles instead), I think giving up on that and doing the song with his simpler "Grandpa Jackrabbit" look, as I like to call it, was actually pretty goddamned awesome and made COMPLETE sense thematically.

And, frankly, I just thought it looked kinda cool, too.

:P
    Last edited by Hazekiah; 11-03-2012 at 11:55 PM.