more than
    hate and morbid panic
    morbid panic
    hate and morbid panic

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrvirginia View Post
    regarding Slow-Mo-Tion lyrics on pg 27, pretty sure at 01:47 it's
    Those lyrics are the official lyrics from MM. They're subject to be wrong, as always.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    As a non-fan who just recently listened through all albums, I obviously had no expectations.

I wasn't a big fan of TGAOG, EMDM and THEOL. I did enjoy previous albums. Listening to Born Villain, I thought it wasn't bad. Nothing spectacular, but there wasn't a single song I hated on first listen.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    if i understand your dilemma correctly: easy enough fix for that- just make sure your itunes isn't sent to automatically sync from the computer and it shouldn't wipe anything else you put on it from different sources. "manually manage ipod" box should be checked. if you need to grab anything from the ipod that you got elsewhere (other people's computers, etc.) to back up on your harddrive/itunes, there are plenty of third party apps for that.
    Sounds awful technical! The problem is that I have an iPod but never got my own iTunes account and don't know shit about it so it's loaded up with tons of cool music that's not from my own sources.

If anyone wants to give me a rundown on how to import the new Manson without losing the stuff already on my iPod and is able to catch me in the next hour and a half then that'd be grand!

Otherwise I'll just figure it out later, no biggie. Thanks, though, I didn't realize it was do-able.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by mrvirginia View Post
    i thought i remembered you from before! yeah you usually do the tour thing. i always thought you were just really rich lol
    if he came close to NC, i'd seriously consider going to see him, but he isn't. hasn't in a while. Atlanta has been the closest. sucks because when i was younger, he came to my city, Charlotte, a few times. Charlotte sucks for catching known bands on tour.
    Phfft...if I were rich I'd be hitting ALL the shows! Nope, stone cold broke as hell, lol, I just don't give a fuck.

>:)

Might see you in Charlotte, btw! I've got pals near Bat Cave, NC and wanna swing by the Angel Oak in SC, too. It's so beautiful around there I wanna try and work it into my two-month Greyhound itinerary for sure.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Might see you in Charlotte, btw! I've got pals near Bat Cave, NC and wanna swing by the Angel Oak in SC, too. It's so beautiful around there I wanna try and work it into my two-month Greyhound itinerary for sure.
    Not interested in seeing me? I'm an hour north from Charlotte haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd say this album is on par with High End Of Low, though maybe its a bit better since I think HEOL has so much filler that it really bogs the album down from being a "fun rock" record like what I think GAOG is. I hated EMDM initially but got into that album eventually and like how he approached it differently from past albums.

I'll still give this new album a couple more spins but it's pretty much how I expected it to be and judging from the live performances, he should just be a studio artist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elementroejoy View Post
    I'd say this album is on par with High End Of Low, though maybe its a bit better since I think HEOL has so much filler that it really bogs the album down from being a "fun rock" record like what I think GAOG is. I hated EMDM initially but got into that album eventually and like how he approached it differently from past albums.

I'll still give this new album a couple more spins but it's pretty much how I expected it to be and judging from the live performances, he should just be a studio artist.
    That's exactly how I feel (except the part about GAOG), I'm just quoting your words because you said it better

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Am I the only one who is enjoying it and isn't butthurt about the opinions of others? lol

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by demo View Post
    Am I the only one who is enjoying it and isn't butthurt about the opinions of others? lol
    ???

I didn't really notice anyone in here who is butthurt about anything (except maybe the Beatles.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by demo View Post
    i'm enjoying it quite a lot actually. i'd rank it up there with the first 4 albums. not sure what anyone else in here is going on about.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I gave it a few more spins today on my ipod at work, and I don't think it's as bad as some people are making it out to be. But then again, I really keep playing the same 5 or so tracks over and over, haha.

As an album, it's OK, but I'd much rather make a 5 song EP out of it, as the songs that are good on it, are really good. the songs that are not are... well meh.

Songs I keep going back to:

Overneath The path to Misery
    Slo-Mo-tion
    The Gardener
    Children Of Cain
    Breaking the Same old ground

I really just play those over and over.

Can't stand:
    Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms
    Murderers are getting prettier...

The rest is mediocre, I could listen to the others, but they don't wow me so I don't bother.

I could make a solid album with the above 5 tracks I like plus 3 songs from THEOL and 3 songs from EMDM and that would be a great Manson album.
    This guy has it in him to make a few good tracks, he just can't make full albums anymore. It seems like he makes a couple really solid tracks, gets bored and says "shit... I gotta fill an hour's worth of music somehow, but i'm out of ideas... ahh, i'll just mumble for the other 6-7 songs over some simple bassline and drum fill and call it an album"

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    not gonna lie, I'm digging the new album more than the last two. My friend had me in tears with his thoughts on "The Gardener"

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    ???

I didn't really notice anyone in here who is butthurt about anything (except maybe the Beatles.)
    I'm not offended by how stupid you are. I'm just pointing it out to you. If me telling you that your opinions are useless and moronic means I'm "butthurt," well, I hope that helps you sleep at night.

I don't think anyone is "butthurt" because some Marilyn Manson fan thinks the Beatles suck, even though he's never bothered to listen to an album.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-25-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Very surprised by how much of this album I'm enjoying. Didn't think he still had it in him; I might put this one on par with GAOG, just under the ol' tryptich. Particularly enjoying Children of Cain, Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms, and Gardner. Slo-Mo-Tion may be a new classic for me. I'm in love with it.

Pistol Whipped is terrible, Disengaged is forgettable. Those are my only real low points (two of the three tracks he alone is credited for, incidentally according to Wiki). Didn't care for Murderers, but it's slowly growing on me.

Not a fantastic album by any means, but pretty damn good.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    I used to work with a meth head at Guitar Center who swore up and down that Led Zeppelin were hacks. You remind me of him. Now, you're entitled to your dumbassery and all, but almost nothing made today stands up to the Beatles at their best. There's a reason why they are still the biggest rock band in history, nearly half a century after their last album. Listen to the White album, Strawberry Fields, Let it Be, Sgt Pepper, etc, and tell me that they're not, to this day, incredibly weird, poetic, melodic, angry, surprising, inventive, passionate and everything else an amazing rock band should be.

You should recognize from the guy you're always spilling your billions of dumb sperm babies on, Marilyn Manson, how great the Beatles are. He worships them.

Can I get a hallefuckinglujah?
    i dont even like the Beatles, but i know what they are to music. to insult them is to make yourself look incredibly dumb.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    i dont even like the Beatles, but i know what they are to music. to insult them is to make yourself look incredibly dumb.
    I never denied their influence. It was massive, and their popularity certainly changed the world of music and paved the way for many of my favorite artists.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    now that i've gotten to listen to the whole thing, my opinion is mostly the same, with a few differences. first, Pistol Whipped and Slo-Mo-Tion are, for me, the worst songs on the album. Pistol Whipped is just dumb. i don't know whether he was trying to be more shocking or more tongue-in-cheek, but it isn't working. it's just a really stupid song. Slo-Mo-Tion is only slightly better. i mean, come on, that whole line about "i've got a camera equipped with a flash"? so, so stupid. however, i did really enjoy Hey, Cruel World, and i also liked the title track a bunch, they reminded me of the old days. the rest of the tracks are okay; i don't dislike them, but they really haven't grabbed my attention much yet. as for the cover song, well, it was much better than what i thought it was going to be. i thought it would be so bad it would be awesome, and it's really not bad at all. much better job with that one than he did with his clone of Personal Jesus.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    In a rather bizarre coincidence, bearing in mind the contents of this thread, I was left with the option this morning of listening to either the new Manson album, Beatles Anthology 2 (Revolver/Sgt Pepper era) (both were new to me as of yesterday), or a combined mp3 CD of NIN/Manson studio work that I created last night (about 150 songs long), for my commute to work. The Beatles won....

Heard up to 'The Gardener' last night before getting sidetracked by the NIN/Manson thing, liked what I heard so far, without it being stand out - but defo better than the last couple of offerings. Will get to see him for the first time ever at Brixton in a few weeks....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was pretty surprised cause when I started it I thought it was as bad as I figured it would be. The first track was good but then No Reflection started and I got a bad taste in my mouth. I had that till Overneath started and things seemed cool cause it's such a throwback song. After that my interest totally waned till Children of Cain started. The rest of the album was pretty solid and seemed to have a consistent vibe. The downsides over all to me are totally the lyrics and guitars. Pistol-whipped might grow on me but it kind of brings back bad memories of WOW. Either way it feels more mansonish than most everything from GAOG and up.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    The new album sounds much better than "The High end of Low" and "Eat Me, Drink Me" but it doesn't surpass "Antichrist", "Portrait", not even "Hollywood" it's a decent album with the best from his carrer, the best songs are the ones were Chris Vrenna is involved, the Mason tracks are the worst in my opinion.

My girlfriend also pointed at me something in the album: Mason barely sings!, his voice sounds worn out, blame the drugs maybe?

Anyway i had a good time listening but i could have been so much better

My fave tracks:

-Slo-Mo-Tion
    -Hey, Cruel World...
    -Born Villain
    -No reflection

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Saying it's better than the last two albums isn't really calling it an accomplishment. Yeah, it's a little bit better IMO, but not much. Has some pretty cool songs there, but most just come off like filler. A lot of forgettable ones. No Reflection isn't going to grow on me at all. It's just that bland.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I'm not offended by how stupid you are. I'm just pointing it out to you. If me telling you that your opinions are useless and moronic means I'm "butthurt," well, I hope that helps you sleep at night.

I don't think anyone is "butthurt" because some Marilyn Manson fan thinks the Beatles suck, even though he's never bothered to listen to an album.
    WHat is a "useful" opinion on something as trivial as rock music? You are just attacking him because he does not like the beatles as much as you, well done.

I like the beatles but I hate the way people get all pompous and self righteous when they meet someone who does not. There is no such thing as objectively good music... If your thinking is so uncritical that you actually believe "correct" taste exists thenGod help you

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    look, i don't care about any of that. i visit, and post in the thread, to talk about marilyn manson, because that's what the thread title is called. can we PLEASE cut the crap on BOTH sides of the argument, and get back to talking about the new album? or maybe the latest tour info, or SOMETHING that's relevant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Too many prototypical industrial goth trappings strewn about (backwards talking, radio tuning, spoken word etc.) for my liking.

Slo-Mo-Tion is catchy as fuck though. Some songs sound like Nirvana at times.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    look, i don't care about any of that. i visit, and post in the thread, to talk about marilyn manson, because that's what the thread title is called. can we PLEASE cut the crap on BOTH sides of the argument, and get back to talking about the new album? or maybe the latest tour info, or SOMETHING that's relevant?
    Why not get the ball rolling yourself instead of doing a little wee!

I like no reflection, "murderers..." and "overneath", need to hear the rest a bit more. Some of it is a bit plodding.

it is a totally different band since Eat Me... Though. I like the idea of MM being a more low key alt rock guitar type band but he does seem pretty broken these days. I will buy the lp and check the tour, as always

have to say im not into the confessional, personal stuff he does these days, i feel bad for him... And not in the way i feel bad for ian curtis!

ftr i was the only one who liked EMDM but i found THEOL a bit scruffy and bland.

goon moon gives me more of an old manson vibe to be honest!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    You are just attacking him because he does not like the beatles as much as you, well done.
    I don't know if you've read the whole Beatles thing from the start, but you're missing the point. It's not about attacking someone for tastes, it's about calling someone out for egregious talking out the assness.

I personally don't like Bruce Springsteen, he's just not my thing, doesn't turn me on, etc. But I don't go around saying things like, "Bruce Springsteen is mediocre pop bullshit; he's totally so overrated. And stuff. Where's my super cool power-chord goth music? Also, The High End of Low was a great album." I don't think anyone would argue Bruce Springsteen's impact, and it's obviously far less than the Beatles. So again, it's not about "like." Especially when we found out Harry Whatshisname hasn't even listened to a Beatles album!

Additionally, it's not off topic because the Beatles have been such an instrumental shaping force for Marilyn Manson, who as we all know has done numerous covers of the Beatles or their members, and frequently references them in his lyrics.

So, whatever, that guy sinned against the rock gods or something, but it's not like I actually care that much. I just won't take anything he says about music, or much else, seriously from here on out. You can't make incredibly bullshit statements about things you're not familiar with, and expect not be called out on it on the basis of, "I just leike different stuff and stuff."

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Is anyone else bothered by that little off-timing backing vocals in the rape of persephone verse of Overneath? Overall I really like the song and think the album version is a lot better than the video version, but this addition irks me. It just sounds sloppy and doesn't flow.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    yeah it is tedious when people are contrarian or controversial for the sake of it, but nonetheless i think you are entitled to call a spade a spade on matters this trivial... If (for example) you hate springsteen but want a quiet life you can just preface your remarks with an acknowledgement of his stature and influence. I dont really see why you feel you need to keep your opinion on the down-low?

But yeah if this chap chats shit regularly then ok. Its just the crucifiction of people not on the beatles hype is something i see alllll the time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Saying it's better than the last two albums isn't really calling it an accomplishment. Yeah, it's a little bit better IMO, but not much. Has some pretty cool songs there, but most just come off like filler. A lot of forgettable ones. No Reflection isn't going to grow on me at all. It's just that bland.
    i call it an accomplishment because i didn't think him or the band would ever produce anything i could really say i loved as a whole. the past 3 (GAOG, EMDM, THEOL) all have a few tracks here and there, but eventually i got sick of listening to any of them and they never get a spin. i listened to all of MA a few weeks ago, though. this album brings back a lot of nostalgic feelings because of a lot of the sounds thrown in. i thought his career as a musician was over but this album clearly shows he's still got some semblance of the MM of old.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey if any ETS member in Phoenix, AZ area has found a store selling the CD a bit early if they would let me know I would really appreciate it. I really don't want to download the leak. I'm a bit old fashioned for a 23 year old I like to purchase the album on or before release day (when record labels in the internet age release the album in other countries before others, makes NO sense to me).

Thanks, PM me if you don't want to get the store in hot water, so to speak.