Page 1 of 77 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson - Born Villain

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Marilyn Manson - Born Villain

FIRST! Bwhahaha!

I haz no avatar so don't know who I is...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Were you the one whining about how the old thread never changed the title?

What's up with this album anyway? I've been out of the loop for ages.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    No, that wasn't me.

I'm really excited about the new album as much by Manson's attitude as anything else. He seems fired up and really seems to have a handle on things again. From what I have heard of it, I am liking the new music. The album is out in Feb and the tour dates are being announced slowly. I think it is going to be a good year in 2012. Have you seen the Born Villain film?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Well, I hope the guy who was whining about a new thread is satisfied, he didn't just get a new thread, he got a whole new message board! Way to go bud!

On another note though,

Looks Like Chris Vrenna has officially left the band now that recording is done. He wants to focus on His own stuff like Tweaker and Video game scoring. Looks like MM was holding him back.

This was from www.thegauntlet.com

""I'm incredibly proud of the work I did with Manson and look forward to the release of Born Villain. I wish my brothers well but with the recording largely completed I felt it was time to return to other facets of my career which involves production work, film scoring, and future musical collaborations," explained Vrenna.

Well, can't say I didn't see it coming, although I am sure his contributions to the recording is what will make "Born Villian" decent, I'm just sad that he never stuck around for the tour. Not sure who they are going to get now to kill the positions of keys/drums, but looks like Manson and Twiggy are on their own for this one...

Not like Manson was good on the last tour, but one could always hope he got his act a little together, but with Vrenna gone I can almost assure you the live show will suck as much as it did on the last trek.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I can't decide is MM is a hot mess right now or just a mess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    has this badboy leaked on the interwebs yet?

heard "no reason" (or rather, I pieced together a version form the born villain video).

anything else surfaced yet?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This is probably gonna be terrible, I hope Manson tries something new beyond his typical "I'm still a 20 year old goth bro fsdjkjakfllasdfj."
    He definitely has potential for experimentation, but too often he is trying to make the same record over and over again. I mean yeah, Antichrist Superstar was badass, but i've already got a copy, expand your horizons man!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    I hope Manson tries something new beyond his typical "I'm still a 20 year old goth bro fsdjkjakfllasdfj."
    Did you listen to Eat Me, Drink Me? I'd say it was a welcome change for Manson's style completely. Anything but 'typical'. I'd like to hear more like that.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Seaward View Post
    Did you listen to Eat Me, Drink Me? I'd say it was a welcome change for Manson's style completely. Anything but 'typical'. I'd like to hear more like that.
    Yeah, instead of trying to shock people, he whined about cheating on his super-hot pin-up wife and her divorcing him. That, and banging Evan Rachel Wood. EMDM, in a nutshell. That, and he thinks My Chemical Romance are jacking his skills...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    This next album is going to be a good one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    He seems fired up and really seems to have a handle on things again. From what I have heard of it, I am liking the new music.
    People think that every time he's put out an album since 2000. I see the same things pop up on every single message board, saying that this time he'll put something good out, this time he's full of energy and the album's going to be great. I think people just need to accept that the Marilyn Manson from the late 90's is dead and that this is a totally different entity. His music will never reach the levels it did in the 90's and honestly, I'm beginning to realize that most of the quality in the band came from the other members or outside sources - not Marilyn Manson himself.

I would appreciate Marilyn Manson a lot more if he would hang up his act and mature as an artist like Trent Reznor did, instead of acting like a petulant child all the time. It's pathetic to see a 40+ year old man acting like he does. I expect his new album to be superior to his last one, but only because I find it hard to imagine that he could drunkenly slur out something even worse.

As always, I remain ever hopeful that Marilyn Manson's cognitive abilities will return and he will seek to make friendlies with all the talented people that he's alienated over time, and then maybe we'll have the band back together and we could have a good album again, maybe he'll quit the drugs that are so clearly fucking him up and he'll quit pouring that absinthe shit down his throat 24/7. But that's all a pipe-dream, really, and it'll never happen. It's a depressing realization for the longtime Marilyn Manson fan, to understand that Marilyn Manson as a band is dead, but it's something that we all have to come to understand.

When you quit thinking of the modern Marilyn Manson as the same entity as the old Marilyn Manson, then you don't expect anywhere near as much out of them and you're not quite as disappointed when his new albums inevitably shamble out of his drug/absinthe-destroyed mind, burst into your home and then shit and piss all over the place, and then turn to you with a smug smile and asking, "Have I shocked you yet?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hopefully it is better than the previous. I thought "eat me drink me" was a good change of pace and was something new, but this last album was definitely a step backwards. Under all of the retarded shock value bullshit, manson has some talent. It came out in portrait and antichrist superstar for sure. He just needs to get his act together and grow up.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    He reminds me a lot of Al Jourgensen. A drunk mess who hasn't had a good album in years, and burnt many bridges. Those two guys had a skill to surround themselves with super talented people until they finally got pissed and left. The well's dry now. If Manson were to clean up his act, it could probably be a different story, but he won't. Jourgensen's a lost cause altogether.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I remember when that came out, my friend came home from work and was like, "Wanna see a waste of $12?" Then he tossed the album at me. I think I listened to it twice and have never wanted to again. I listened to THEOL once and the same goes for that one. This is the first I'm hearing about a new album, but I'm sure I'll at least listen to it once. It's a bummer because I really like Manson's older stuff, and listen to it often. There's only a couple songs on GAOG I still like today, but other than that basically everything after Holy Wood has been a disaster.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    ^^^ Exactly. Loved it all, love Holy Wood...AND agreed that there are a few gems on TGAOG but after that it wasn't a slow decline...it was an immediate jump in to a pile of shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For a while I wondered if maybe I only really loved Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals because I was a teenager when I got into them so I didn't listen to them for a few years to maybe just hold on to my memories. However, I decided to give them a spin again and my fears were unfounded, both of them hold up remarkably well. They don't resonate quite the way they did with me way back when because I'm no longer an angsty teenager, but they're both very well conceived and executed albums.

I personally think the decline started with Holy Wood though. I would say maybe a third of that album is decent to good, and the rest is pretty unimpressive. It definitely doesn't come close to its immediate forebears.

I still give each of his new releases a cursory listen out of gratitude for all the good times he gave me as a teenager and I'll do the same for this new one, hoping he somehow gets his act together. I don't see it happening, and if it doesn't at least I'll be able to immediately throw on The Last Day on Earth live/acoustic and wash the taste of the new shit away as soon as possible.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

A decent producer.

That's what Manson needs. Simple as that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    He reminds me a lot of Al Jourgensen. A drunk mess who hasn't had a good album in years, and burnt many bridges.
    Yeah, that's pretty spot on.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash512 View Post
    A decent producer.

That's what Manson needs. Simple as that.
    I think Sean Beavan is handling Born Villain. Don't hold me to it.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    He reminds me a lot of Al Jourgensen. A drunk mess who hasn't had a good album in years, and burnt many bridges. Those two guys had a skill to surround themselves with super talented people until they finally got pissed and left. The well's dry now. If Manson were to clean up his act, it could probably be a different story, but he won't. Jourgensen's a lost cause altogether.
    It really makes me wonder what it would be like to witness Marilyn Manson hanging out with Ministry.

As for Marilyn Manson, his first four albums will always be my favorites. I even liked The Golden Age of Grotesque. I suppose I was just okay with it. As for Eat Me, Drink Me, I just wasn't too fond of it. That album didn't click with me, and it made me hesitant to check out The High End of Low. It should be better since Twiggy is on it right?

(I really haven't followed up on Marilyn Manson for quite a while, and would like to know what others think here. I have checked out a few songs from The High End of Low on YouTube though, but I didn't really get into them.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-08-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    It really makes me wonder what it would be like to witness Marilyn Manson hanging out with Ministry.

As for Marilyn Manson, his first four albums will always be my favorites. I even liked The Golden Age of Grotesque. I suppose I was just okay with it. As for Eat Me, Drink Me, I just wasn't too fond of it. That album didn't click with me, and it made me hesitant to check out The High End of Low. It should be better since Twiggy is on it right?

(I really haven't followed up on Marilyn Manson for quite a while, and would like to know what others think here. I have checked out a few songs from The High End of Low on YouTube though, but I didn't really get into them.)
    It's pretty much the same quality-wise as Eat Me, Drink Me. Twiggy is in on it, yes, but I don't think Twiggy was ever that influential in the creativity department, so it doesn't really matter much that he's back. There's a couple good songs on the album that are okay musically-speaking, but there's not a single one on there that's good lyrically-speaking.

It's worth a listen, just don't expect much.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sessava View Post
    I don't think Twiggy was ever that influential in the creativity department
    Are you... I... What?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    to those who never heard high end of low, i would say there is at least 4 good songs on it. everything else is meh.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    THEOL is alright. I wouldn't call it a bad album. It's forgettable though... EMDM, on the other hand, is a real difficult listen. I gave up trying to "get it".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    alot of people say that EMDM was a bad album...personally I loved it. Was a bit of a new direction, and there were some songs on there that were simple, yet struck a chord with me. Maybe it was just a case of me reading into the lyrics wrongly, but for anyone who's ever been in a difficult relationship, some of the word play on this album really hits home...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Manson is a guest on That Metal Show tonight at 11:00 PM on VH1 Classic for those interested.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloris View Post
    alot of people say that EMDM was a bad album...personally I loved it. Was a bit of a new direction, and there were some songs on there that were simple, yet struck a chord with me. Maybe it was just a case of me reading into the lyrics wrongly, but for anyone who's ever been in a difficult relationship, some of the word play on this album really hits home...
    I think it's a completely whiney, and emo album. Yeah, it's about heartbreak. But, it's really hypocritical when all of the facts were put way out in the open for everyone to see. He fucked up, and decides to whine and play victim when it's completely the other way around. If it were the other way around, I may see the album a little differently, but it's not. But musically, i'm not really that much into it either. I was a fan of Skold's previously, and I was pleased to see him play solos, and show that's he's actually a better guitarist than he let on. But, unfortunately, the music was crappy and generic, and solos got old real fast. Skold could've done so much better on that album, musically.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I think any Manson fan should at least check out THEOL. personally, I think it's the only listenable album since Holy Wood and I actually quite enjoy it. Call it a guilty pleasure.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I just saw Manson on That Metal Show. It was all right. Manson was funny at times although he also seemed quite strung out. Plus, Eddie Trunk was kissing his ass throughout the entire episode.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I just saw Manson on That Metal Show. It was all right. Manson was funny at times although he also seemed quite strung out. Plus, Eddie Trunk was kissing his ass throughout the entire episode.
    Drunk from absinthe.

As for that, he had been wanting Manson on the show for a long time. I guess that added to it.

Cool news on Born Villain though. (Possible) New single and video news:

Slow-Mo-Tion

Not like it seems out of place as THEOL had a song called Arma-goddamn-motherfuckin-geddon on it.